Flying

Jollypops

Reaction score
Does anyone no if its safe to fly in the first 12 weeks?

I think so, in theory, but personally I would avoid it as this is the most important time for baby's development x

I agree with mand could you maybe wait a few more months hon??

xx

You're recommended not to in the first trimester, can't remember why though.

I'm not sure i would be wanting to risk it in the first 12 weeks, even though i don't think MW's are against it xxx

Cheers for your replies, we've got flights already booked which i had forgotten about to see my father in law and i'll only be 8-9 weeks. Best get onto the airline and see if i can get refund or change the dates!

I'm flying to Gibraltar in a few weeks. Think I'll be about 13 weeks. My sister in law flew there when she was 9 weeks to get married and she had a healthy baby boy on the 21st dec. I thought it was only the last trimester they say to avoid.

I found out I was pregnant the day before a mammoth trip to Asia. I was only 4/5 weeks pregnant when I flew to Dubai, Hong Kong, Bangkok and back again. Everything was fine. My legs got a little bit more swollen than usual on the journey home, so make sure you wear flight socks, drink plenty of water and move around as much as you can. My legs went down after I elevated them for one evening.
I flew to Spain and back last week whilst I was 24/25 weeks pregnant, again, all was fine. It only becomes problematic after about 28 weeks when most carriers refuse to take you.
Enjoy your hols!! :cheer:

Hi, I had the same problem, with flights already booked and very expensive to cancel (although of course that isn't the main thing). I checked with the midwife, GP, and consultant to see if they recommended against flying and none of them did. I was really nervous, but I made sure that I made the OH carry everything (and I mean everything) and it seems to have been ok. I must admit, I was really worried, but in the end I figured that if three people who are supposed to know thought it would be ok, then who was I to argue. Oh - they did recommend flight socks though. Have fun if you go!

Cheers for your replies. I have managed to get a doctors appointment on Wednesday as my first appointment isnt due until the 28th Jan and I'm due to fly on 2nd Feb I really want to ask the question sooner rather than later. Think i've been worried as we've waited so long to have a baby that i really dont want anything to gone wrong. I think i'll see what they say, hope he might say about having an early scan but dont think i'll be quite so lucky but we'll see.

Hi,

Crikey, there are a lot of new names here - haven't been on for a while!

Just like to say that I've just had a two week hol in Spain - was 10 weeks when I flew out and 12 when I flew back; two days later had a scan and baby was absolutely fine! I also flew with my previous two pregnancies - 1st at about 14 wks and 2nd at only 7, and my girls are fine too!

I was a bit worried this time after having a previous m/c (didn't fly with that one) but m/w only said to check my insurance, and I did a fair bit of research on the net and the only thing I could find said there may be an increased risk for those who fly very frequently (ie flight attendants) due to radiation levels; there is also an increased risk of DVT so I'd recommend wearing support tights and walking about lots (that what I did).

Hope it helps - I can understand your worry though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back