First Midwife Appointment

mouse9210

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have my booking in appointment tomorrow and very excited!

But was wondering, do you get to hear the heartbeat? Or do I have to wait until my scan to see the baby?

I had some spotting last week so I would love to have the reassuarance of hearing the heartbeat.

Thanks! x

Midwives don't usually attempt this until 16 weeks x

No, they won't attempt to listen to the heartbeat at your booking in appointment.
You will probably be measured, weighed, have bloods taken and need to answer loads of questions. You'll also be given loads of info on what to do/not to do in pregnancy and what will happen in terms of appointments during the remainder of your pregnancy. I expect you will also be informed of when or how you will be booked in for your 12 week scan. Exciting stuff! Good luck.

The midwife still hasn't listened to my baby's heartbeat! Lol.

At your first appointment you will go through all of the questions in the pack probably Hun. She might take bloods and book your 12 week scan for you too.

If you have been bleeding, mention it to her and you should get an early scan at the hospital.

Enjoy!

As everyone else said it'll be lots of history taken. bloods etc and you may get scan date there and then or might come through the post. she didn't listen to hb at my booking in appt. she listened next time I went at 13 weeks.

I would defo ask for an early scan, good luck xxx

Its just going through paper work and that. You get given a date for scan, unless the mw thinks you need one sooner I think

Thanks so much - reading all this before the appointment really helped to reassure me!

It actually went really well, I was there for almost 2 hours - although I can't tell you what we talked about - anything and everything I think!! We did all the normal stuff of blood pressure, weight, height etc...but she was completely scatty and lovely - so warm and friendly - she completely put me at ease and was very knowledgeable.

She kept offering me different types of herbal tea - after discovering I am still dehydrated!

All the twinges and aches I have been having are normal too, and she didn't make me feel silly for asking any questions either. It was lovely. I have my next appointment with her at 16 weeks and she even offered to come to my house for it if I wanted!

She has even asked me to text her after my scan on 17th to let her know how it goes - she is just lovely!! I'm very happy!

The mw comes to our house for our 3rd appointment, you dont get a choice lol

Aww glad it went well and that you are happy and relaxed with your MW. Hope I get a lovely lady too :) xx

Mine reminds me of my late auntie, which is nice :) I think they should all be like barbara off one born every minute!! I would love to have her!!!

sounds like you got a lovely midwife, havent heard of them coming round to the house this early x

Thanks! Yeah it's a relief to have someone so lovely - she wanted to know all about how me ad my husband met, and kept saying how lovely he sounded - she was so sincere it was lovely. I just felt s supported.

Yeah she said she could come to the house for the next appointment which would be 16 weeks, but I said I was ok going to hospital - mainly because I would have to take more time off work lol!! And then she made sure she booked me an appointment in the middle of the day so I wouldn't have to go back to work afterwards!

Sounds great! :)

My friend is going to be my midwife, she's arranged me an early scan at 7+3.

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back