First finger foods

Hazel

Reaction score
What are good finger foods to give when first starting weaning? I've given her a chunk of banana to gnaw on but it got slippery like a bar of soap and she gets annoyed, same with the carrot as it keeps sliding out her hands. She could get a good grip on a chunk of cucumber and the apricot.

Lightly toasted toast fingers, sandwich fingers, soft carrot sticks, and the supermarket baby food aisle has lots of nibbly bits and bob you can try. Isaac like moon biscuits :)

Banana is a nightmare isn't it. Rudy had some yesterday and it was all on the floor within seconds. Like Lou mentioned toast is good. Heinz baby biscotti is good for a treat. Anything that isn't slippy really, Rudy loves orange segments but he puts too much in his mouth so we've had to put a stoip to that now :lol: Pasta, like the twrls would be good and give some sauce in a bowl for dipping?

x

Oops I forgot Connie wasn't 6 months, so you might not be giving gluten yet. We did but I know lots of people don't before 6 months. So if your not giving gluten bread and pasta will be out until 6 months. In that case, try baby corn on the cobs- Rudy loves them and just sucks away for ages being very content.

x

She's had wheetabix which is gluten. Just plain toast or anything on it like marge? Sandwich fingers sound good. What's a good filling for it? She has a sweet tooth so want her to get used to savoury things as she's turning her nose up at the veg and prefers the fruit.

I find banana easier to hold and less slippery if its segmented. Just squeze the banana and you will find it starts to split along its natural segment into 3.

I normally spread unsalted butter on toast or crumpets or philidelphia on toast. Try roasting some butternut squash really yummy first finger food. If you cut it into strips and roast with the skin on drizzle with olive oil, it wont go all mushy and you will find that your LO will strip the flesh from the skin and then leave the skin. Sweet potato and peppers are great roasted too.

Baked potato, steamed baby corn, swede, broccoli.

Try advacado as a sandwich filling or cream cheese, or houmus.

Hazel said:
She's had wheetabix which is gluten. Just plain toast or anything on it like marge? Sandwich fingers sound good. What's a good filling for it? She has a sweet tooth so want her to get used to savoury things as she's turning her nose up at the veg and prefers the fruit.

I used to put butter on Isaac's toast, and marmite, same for sandwiches :)

Have you tried rice cakes? They are pretty easy to hold and will melt away to nothing in her mouth so not much fear of choking on it x :hug:

Isaac really liked bread sticks, which was useful as he never liked rusks or other such biscuit type baby foods :)

She loved the sandwich fingers with a bit of baby food spread on it. Definitely better toasted as it stay together for longer. She loves her food :D

yay! Great idea to spread baby food on sandwich fingers! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back