Fenugreek capsules for breastfeeding

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Has anyone taken Fenugreek to help boost their milk supply when breastfeeding? I've read that it can help but not sure when and how often you take it.

I had problems with supply when I was breastfeeding James (maybe due to my breast implants) and as a result only lasted a week at it.
I've been looking into it in case I get the same problem again.

When do you start taking it? Do you wait for a problem to occur or take it as a preventative? How often do you take it?

Any advice would be welcome :D

Hiya.
I took Fenugreek caps 3 times a day and they worked really well. The reason that I took them was because I had a bout of food poisoning and my milk supply seemed to diminsh. I found that they worked within a few days and I think that I took them for about 5 weeks.
Another thing - they strangey make your milk smell like maple syrup!

Kina has, and Valentine did I think... I have some but haven't been very good at taking them regularly so haven't noticed any effect but that's my own fault..!

I used these about 3 weeks ago when I had a sickness/diaoreeha bug which meant I was really dehydrated and didn't eat anything for about 3 days. My milk supply really diminished for the first time, my boobs went all soft and I was really worried. Luckily I had some Fenugreek in (planning ahead - I think I bought it from one of the Holland and Barratt 75% off sale things!) and took 2 capsules 3 x a day (as directed on the bottle). My milk and bras smelt really weird, like sweety sicky syrupy and my milk supply did go back to normal, but that also coincided with getting better so I'm not sure if they did help or not. Taking them certainly made me feel better that I was doing something to help my supply. I also have some Mother's Milk Tea (google this) which I also used to boost my supply, that was liquorisey/aniseedy. Sorry that doesn't help you much, but they certainly don't harm you, so they are worth a try.

I have a friend who is a Mum who has breastfed for six months and plans to continue longer who has had a breast reduction. I know that this isn't the same, but I just wanted to let you know a success story.

Good luck honey. Make sure you visit us in Feeding and Nutrition if you need help or support once your new LO is born.

Valentine Xxx

I used these about 3 weeks ago when I had a sickness/diaoreeha bug which meant I was really dehydrated and didn't eat anything for about 3 days. My milk supply really diminished for the first time, my boobs went all soft and I was really worried. Luckily I had some Fenugreek in (planning ahead - I think I bought it from one of the Holland and Barratt 75% off sale things!) and took 2 capsules 3 x a day (as directed on the bottle). My milk and bras smelt really weird, like sweety sicky syrupy and my milk supply did go back to normal, but that also coincided with getting better so I'm not sure if they did help or not. Taking them certainly made me feel better that I was doing something to help my supply. I also have some Mother's Milk Tea (google this) which I also used to boost my supply, that was liquorisey/aniseedy. Sorry that doesn't help you much, but they certainly don't harm you, so they are worth a try.

I have a friend who is a Mum who has breastfed for six months and plans to continue longer who has had a breast reduction. I know that this isn't the same, but I just wanted to let you know a success story.

Good luck honey. Make sure you visit us in Feeding and Nutrition if you need help or support once your new LO is born.

Valentine Xxx

Thanks for the replies! You've all been really helpful :hug: :hug:

I will look out for the mothers milk tea too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111