Breastfeeding with implants

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience of breastfeeding with breast implants, or thinking of doing so?

I have breast implants and only managed to breastfeed James for about a week. He was on the breast almost constantly which having read a bit since I've learnt isn't totally inheard of in the early days, though at the time I felt like I was letting James down and starving him.

I was living with my mum at the time who had only ever bottled fed us kids so she was constantly moaning at me about it not being normal for the baby not to go 4 hours between feeds and why didn't I just give him a bottle as he probably wasn't getting enough.
James did put on weight during that week so we must have been doing something right, I think all the criticism I got from my mum over my decision made me lose confidence in myself.

At 6 days old James stopped breathing and had to go into hospital for a course of intravenous anitibiotics and various tests to rule out meningitus, epilepsy and other scary stuff. During that time the breast feeding went down hill, I was tired and stressed, james was probably feeling rubbish and the midwifes on scubu didn't have the time to help a mum who was having trouble with her baby latching on, eventually my milk supply started to become a problem so it was suggested by the midwives on scubu that I bottlefeed.

I'm still not sure whether the milk supply problems were due to my breast implants or whether it was the stress of situation as well.
The midwives on scubu were telling me that I wasn't producing enough milk and to bottlefeed, yet the midwives on the ward I was staying on were telling me I was doing fine and keep trying. I felt so condused about everything at the time.

Early on in my pregnancy I was adement I would bottle feed this time as I felt a failure not being able to continue breastfeeding before, but having thought about it some more I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll buy the bottle feeding equipement, and get a tin of formula in,in case and not put any pressure on myself (I hope!)

Part of me is also a bit scared too though. I still have a fear in the back of my mind that the baby might end up drinking silicone, and I keep worrying that maybe James stopped breathing because of my breast implants (they never really found out why he stopped breathing, no infection was found, though he responded well to antibiotics).
My midwife this time thinks I should give it a go and was quite dissapointed when I was so adament about bottle feeding.

Sorry for the long post! It's been playing on my mind recently, I keep having dreams about having problems breastfeeding, in the last one my boob had a huge hole in it and I could see the milk inside but couldn't get it out! I've also been thinking about when James stopped breathing too, I was breast feeding him at the time and I can't stop thinking that my implants were responsible! I wish I never had them in the first place, they're my biggest regret :(

hi hun, i have not had personla experience but many of the books i have read have said that having breast implants will not effect your milk or your chances of breast feeding. it may have just ben the stress like you said with your last and you will probably be fine this time. there are alot of breast feeding mums that ims ure can give you alot of advice. i think you just need more support as it does take time to adjust to it. i hope it works for you this time

xxxxx

Thanks for the reply :D Having looked online a lot of sources seem to suggest that there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to breastfeed with implants, though I may find I have a low milk supply.
If this happens I think I'll try boosting my supply first, or combining breastfeeding with formula before giving up althogether.
If I do end up needing to bottlefeed it's not the end of the world, and at least I know I'd have tried.

One of the Mums at the breastfeeding group I go to has implants and she was sucessfully feeding. Hope all goes as you want it to. I have just stopped feeding as I had gone back to work and my supply dried up, and I do miss it, but am so gald I did it for 5.5 months - aftre the initial problems I really enjoyed it.
Good luck!

im worried about this too , partly because i have implants, and partly because i had virtually NO breast tissue prior to the implants...i think generally implants shouldnt stop you breastfeeding as long as they werent done through the nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back