Feeling Pressurised to breastfeed!

Mummy2Adam

Reaction score
I hate it how some midwives tell you its the best way all the time ect and if thats not enough i was advised yesterday that Liverpool Womens Hospital no longer provide formula while your there, as a new breastfeeding campain so unless you take in your own formula you are forced to try breastfeeding and i think that is wrong.
I understand everyone has different situations and breastfeeding works for most but i think women who decide to formula feed should be able to without being lectured, looked at funny and refused milk in a delivery hospital. Sorry ladies I had to rant as I dont think its right x x

I completely agree with you, I personally think breastfeeding should be a personal choice

As long as your baby is healthy whether it's by formula or breast milk then what's the problem

xxx

I totally agree! I want what's best for LO but I don't think the pressure will do me any good!

Hi Kezza, hope your ok. You get made to feel like your doing wrong and it really annoys me, i formula feed Adam and had no problems. Aaaarrrggh it just annoys me. Its like the hospital are saying if your not doing it our way then you can sort yourself out x x

It's just totally the wrong attitude for them to have, they are there to help not make you feel more stressed & worried

Just because you've breastfed one of your children doesn't mean it will work for your other children, my mums proof of that

Pregnancy & labour I can only imagine are stressful enough without this on top

xxx

It worries me because I want to bottle feed. I get stressed really easily and I don't want to get stressed about it, mw has been really nasty about it! Also our mw's have a thing about trying labour naturally ie; no pain relief and we have to try it. I have sacroilliac joint dysfunction and already in agony.. I don't handle pain well I am absolutley terrified I won't get the pain relief I require cos mw's are so pushy :-(

You shouldn't feel pressurised, it does annoy me we all have the right to chose. It's probably another money saving thing by the nhs!

When I am asked if I'm feeding breast or bottle I actually feel bad when I say I bottle feed because of all the pressure to breast feed. It's not fair!
I was dreading hospital cos I thought they would pressure me but I was surprised that none of the midwives really bothered when I said I was bottle feeding. They just asked what kind of formula and got it for me.
Don't let them bully you into it. Xx

Totally agree. I will be bottle feeding as was told years ago not to breastfeed. I have cysts in my breasts which are knotted milk ducts. If I breastfeed not alot will come out and I will develop more cysts which cud requiresurgery. MW looks at me as if Im using it as an excuse :-(

I totally agree. It should be each persons right to choose and nobody should be made to feel bad if they don't want to or can't breastfeed.

i agree also!! the mw made me feel awful when i chose to bottle feed DD,
i was almost 19 @ the time, ill be bottle feeding this time round too,
its wrong that we feel pressured to breastfeed! xxxx

i know how you feel hun, i gave birth in italy, where formula feeding isnt even considered an option. my baby was brought to me 6 hours after i had him, in a room full of oh's family, midwife came in yanked my top down and practically shoved him on my nipple!!!!!!! was the most awful experience ever. lo was so tiny he couldnt even latch on and they were practically forcing him. oh's auntie pinched his nose so that he would open his mouth and latch on! FURIOUS.

i only lasted 2 months, and got judged by people i didnt even know when FF in cafes and bars "what a waste, a mothers job is to bf". was so annoying. got to the stage when ppl asked me i just said "yeah im bf"

i think its a personal decision and every woman has the right to chose. dont feel presurised hun, i was miserable the first few weeks due to this and was practically borderline depression. x

i know how you feel hun, i gave birth in italy, where formula feeding isnt even considered an option. my baby was brought to me 6 hours after i had him, in a room full of oh's family, midwife came in yanked my top down and practically shoved him on my nipple!!!!!!! was the most awful experience ever. lo was so tiny he couldnt even latch on and they were practically forcing him. oh's auntie pinched his nose so that he would open his mouth and latch on! FURIOUS.

i only lasted 2 months, and got judged by people i didnt even know when FF in cafes and bars "what a waste, a mothers job is to bf". was so annoying. got to the stage when ppl asked me i just said "yeah im bf"

i think its a personal decision and every woman has the right to chose. dont feel presurised hun, i was miserable the first few weeks due to this and was practically borderline depression. x

I breastfed for several months last time, but not planning to at all this time, as it really didn't work for me. I guess I will be taking formula in with me this time round!

Do what suits you! It is completely up to you!

As I read recently, a baby needs a happy mum more than it needs breastmilk

Totally agree. I will be bottle feeding as was told years ago not to breastfeed. I have cysts in my breasts which are knotted milk ducts. If I breastfeed not alot will come out and I will develop more cysts which cud requiresurgery. MW looks at me as if Im using it as an excuse :-(

I had most of the insides of my breasts removed for this very reason when I was only 17, folowed by years of reconstructive surgery. Avoid it if you can!!

My awful MW insisted that she needed to see my medical notes from back then (late 1980's) before she believed me that breastfeeding would not work for me.

I shall be bottle feeding !!!

Im behind u 100% m2a

Some ladies are really pressured, and its shocking about your hospital too.

I've not been hassled this pregnancy I told them straight out - no i'm defo not doing it, I tried it with first and i'm not doing it again (lasted a couple of months but was miserable)

:)

Its shocking what they are doing. As long as mum and baby are happy and baby is being fed it shouldn't matter.

Certain hospitals not offering formula started a while back, making you take your own. It looks like more hospitals are starting to do it too, my sister is due October and has been told her hospital wont be offering formula and to take her own if she wants to FF (they previously supplied it).

I wanted to try BF with AJ but after a traumatic L&B I ended up FF, there was know way I could BF if I couldn't even hold him. I wonder if they are prepared to supply formula in these kind of situations?

I felt pressurised by OH and family to BF, but because of my delivery Jake couldn't really latch on properly. His head was really sore and all the MW's shoving his head onto my boob just upset him and hurt him so he never really got going.

I was only ever going to BF to give him the colostrum and was going to go onto the bottle after 2-3 days. As it happened I tried to BF twice, saw it wasn't working, told the MW on the post natal ward it wasn't working for us and she was very supportive and went off to get me some formula.

Don't let anyone pressurise you into BF'ing. Whats best for baby is a calm relaxed Mummy.
xx

it is horrible, all the posters and leaflets in the clinic!

i've found, worse than that my friends and family all have an opinion on it!! i can't breastfeed because of medication but i shouldn't have to explain this to everyone.

many of my friends (constantly competing with each other for mother of the year :roll:) breastfed and go on about it all the time. another of my friends doesn't give a sh*t what anyone thinks so says when she has a baby there's no chance of breastfeeding, she also says if she fancies a glass of wine while preggers, she will have one, the rest of my friends really slate her for it!!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back