Mixed Feeding

Rachel1509

Reaction score
Does anyone on here do mixed feeding with breast and formula? If so, what made you decide to do this and not just exclusively do one?

I originally chose to formula feed, but when LO was born I changed my mind and began expressing, then went on to putting baby to breast. I seem to currently be mixed feeding though because I'm still trying to work out this breastfeeding business, as I don't know much about it and never researched it during pregnancy or listened about it at antenatal classes etc.

I seem to be breastfeeding at home throughout the day and occasionally during the night, but he does have the odd bottle of formula if I'm struggling latching him on or he doesn't seem satisfied afterwards. I'm not confident about breastfeeding out in public places either, so when we've been out shopping, we've taken bottled formula with us, but the plan was to only breastfeed.

Any advice please?

Last edited:
I dont know too much but when I first had the little man I was too ill to breastfeed so they told me to give him formula, I made sure that when I gave hime formula I also let him suckle even tho I wasnt producing milk as it stimulates the breast to produce milk. If you want to eventually breast feed then I would suggest letting little one do this so you build up your milk supply. Im also really shy about breastfeeding in public so I am trying to build up a stock of expressed milk so I have it ready for if I need it to go out. I got advised to practise in front of a mirror so you can see how much of you is on show when you feed.
xxx

The more you put the baby to the breast the less you will need to tor up, it can take a few days for your body to adjust. If you keep giving formula it will have a negative effect on your milk supply as your body won't be getting the messages to make more. I have spent many evenings and nights watching tv or on here (like now!) bf! Make sure you rest as much as possible, drink loads esp while your feeding, and you could take fenugreek to boost your supply further. I didn't feed out and about until i was really confident and felt relaxed about it so i used to time my outings between feeds to start with, think its important to feel relaxed when feeding. Do you have a support group near you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I agree with Sarah - if you only want to breastfeed, you need to cut out formula, as if youre using it baby isn't telling your body tO produce milk. It can take a few days and your baby may suckle more, but it's all to send messages to your body

I know that if I wanna BF then I need to cut formula out, but I've only just began breastfeeding, and couldn't work it out at first. Noah wasn't latching on properly and obviously he was hungry so I had to give him formula otherwise he'd go hungry.

I'm hoping I've managed it though now. I had a good night last night and managed to breastfeed him all through the night successfully! :yay:

That's great, your body must have caught up already :) hope you get another good night

I think it's really brilliant you've decided to bf. what changed your mind, as you seemed adamant to formula feed at first?

Sounds like you're doing great, a night without getting up and messing with bottles is so much better isn't it!!

When we came out of NICU I was giving top ups now and then (prob 1 or 2 small bottles a day) because I felt there physically wasn't enough in there.

I let the baby feed and feed and even suck just for comfort before resorting to a tiny bit of formula and eventually the bottles became less and less, now we haven't had any for 2 weeks.

Helped that I had a breastfeeding advisor on the end of the telephone and had someone show me how to latch on properly, also some good latching on videos on youtube!

Last edited:
Im combination feeding i started a few weeks ago as i felt i wasnt giving Issac enough breast milk i wanted to top up with expressed milk but i cant get any out so i never feel empty this was when i noticed my milk drop plus the fact he refused my boob one day i then decided i would prefer to exclusively bf.

This is my 2nd week of no formula top ups, however i have had to keep a bedtime bottle as he is a smart little boy and refused my breast at bedtime :(

I feel like im back to new born as im offering a feed every 2hours but my reason behind this is 1) to keep my milk supply going. 2) he is tongue tied and if i leave him til he decides he is hungry he get too frustrated during his feed and screams afterwards as he is still hungry but its too much hard work him. Ive always been lucky that after just a few weeks he was only waking once through the night.

I agree with the girls, just keep him at your boob it sounds like you are both doing great but if you think you need help just pop to a breastfeeding clinic they are amazing (thats who told me he was tongue tied)
x

Thanks for the confidence boost everyone, means a lot! Still breastfeeding, feel amazing to be giving my Noah the best, but I must admit it's quite tiring, but worth it!

I think it's really brilliant you've decided to bf. what changed your mind, as you seemed adamant to formula feed at first?

It was strange. I'd always been set on formula only during my pregnancy after getting some advice from my SIL who works in childcare. She told me that she found the breastfed babies very clingy and saw their mums as some sort of 'milk machine' and not actually their mummy. This isn't what I wanted so I thought definately doing formula!

Then I had Noah, and at a few days old he ended up in SCBU and after seeing him ill in the incubator, I wanted to do everything I could to make him better and give him the best start in life, so I decided to express to begin with :)

That's an odd opinion from your sil not heard that one before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back