Feeling I might be pregnant

Francesca

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I am 21 years old and need some urgent advice from someone who knows a little more about this kind of stuff then I do.
So I think I might be pregnant, even though I am on the contraception Implanon and we have been using condoms during intercourse. If indeed I am pregnant, I would be approx. 12 weeks (yes, I know for sure).
Didn't associate the symptoms I've been having with a pregnancy until yesterday, when my boyfriend told me that there has been a huge scandal surrounding the contraception I was taking. So far 600 woman that were taking the drug have reported being pregnant.
My symptoms: I have been feeling extremely tired the last two months, sluggish. In the morning when I get up I always feel dizzy, I have not had any morning sickness but have felt nauseous ever so often and spent a whole day throwing up last week. I have bad headaches that will only go away if I nap. I have been craving bread and orange juice. Now what worries me most is that I have not had a proper period. Normally I bleed quite heavily and it's always red. So far and this has happened several times, without specific scheduling to it, I have had a light to dark brown, sometimes slightly red discharge, that contained very small dark brown strings. The consistency of the discharge is rather thin but sticky. It is never enough to soak a tampon and generally I only pick it up when I wipe myself. Sorry if this is too much information! Yesterday after I got out of bed I felt a sudden rush of liquid and found my pjamas soaked in a very watery pink slightly sticky liquid (so far this only happened once) Now I have googled these discharges and the only answers that I can find are related to pregnancy. During the Christmas holidays my mum told me that I should remove the implant because she believed that my body had changed it's shape. I thought I had just gained weight. My tummy is definitely rounder than it was before, it almost looks bloated but throughout the day. Although it isn't completely hard it's not wobbly either. When I poke my finger at it, I can feel a layer of fat but it's definitely hard underneath. I took a picture of it and compared it to pictures of 12 week pregnancy bumps and it doesn't look dissimilar.
Everything seems to be pointing towards a pregnancy, although this is so unlikely since I was on contraception, we used condoms and I had just had my period. I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative. I am planning to buy another one tomorrow and go to a gynecologist next week (where I live, they are shut over the weekend).

What is happening to me? I really need some advice.

Thank you for answering.

xxx

You poor thing. I'd say you need to ask your doc or family planning clinic. I was going to say do a preg test but you've done one. See if the GP will order a blood test - sometimes people don't show up preg with the urine test...

Hope you're ok xx

How long have you had the implant in?

It sounds like these could be side effects of the implant, if not pregnancy. I would say odds are you aren't pregnant if you have been using two types of contraception, you would be very unlucky! I know when I have started or come off the pill before I have had side effects that have me convinced I was pregnant.

I have now had the implant for a year and a half. It's supposed to last 3 years.
To be honest I have had side effects in the past which have made me consider the possibility I was pregnant. I guess I am a bit paranoid about it. ( I really hope I'm not insulting anyone who is trying to get pregnant. I definitely want to have children one day, but I feel a bit young to have a child at this point.I'd like to be settled down, earn a proper wage and finish with my studies before I having a baby.)

I definitely know though that something isn't as it should be. This is nothing like the side effects I have had so far. The discharges and the shape of my belly really worry me. And somehow, even with the negative test, I can't shake the feeling I'm pregnant.

I'll definitely do another pregnancy test tomorrow. And I will go to the gynecologist, if I'm not pregnant it might still be something else.

Thanks for your answers

Hiya, not sure if this is helpful, but both my sister and I have used the implant, and whilst I was ok (with a few side effects) she had a horrible time. She had had it for about a year and her periods had stayed regular, but then they became erratic, light, she spotted, and had a lot of the same as what you're describing. My sister is a complete and utter stick insect (lol) and she was feeling very bloated also. She went to the gyne who kindly explained some stuff. Do you mind asking what age you started your periods? The doc told my sister that once every seven years your body apparently does some sort of clear out, and everything kinda regenerates, your bodies way of sort of making sure everything is working how it should be. Plus, with you being 21, that's (I think) round about the age where women stop growing...so it could just be that your hormones are levelling out, and hat would totally throw off how your body reacts to the implant. ( which would explain why youre getting odd side effects a year and a half in) My sis had hers removed and she was fine within a few months. She was 20 at the time, at uni and very much in the same sort of position as you. I hope I've not made you more confused, but I think if you were using the implant, AND condoms, and if you are twelve weeks and test is still negative then its highly unlikely your are pregnant. I totally understand how you feel though, but i think that sometimes when we worry we can make symptoms worse and more prominent if you know what I mean!

I really hope this doesn't seem cheeky or anything, and I really hope you get some definite answers soon Hun :hug: x

Xxxxxx

Good luck, I agree it could be unlikely to be pregnancy if youve used 2 methods of contraception but on the other hand the symptoms also sound like pregnancy. Keep us updated as either way you will get lots of support here.

I have to agree with Zozo.. My doctor told me the same thing about your body changing every 7 years. You can even become alergic to something you have never been allergic to before due to this change! I randomly became allergic to suncream!!
x

Hi Girls,

So good news (for me) I am definitely not pregnant. Went to the gynecologist today and he gave me a scan. But news my cysts are back, My right ovary is covered in cysts. :-( They are the reason for my symptoms, pressing down on the ovary and causing havoc with my hormones. :'-( Although he told me not to worry yet, I'll have to go back in three months and depending on the situation then, they'll remove them. I hate this. To be honest I'd much rather be pregnant. Although I'd rather be a little older, I actually liked the idea of becoming a mum. Now I'm worried I'll never be able too.

Anyway, Thanks for your support girls.

xxx

aw hun xx sorry to hear that :( xx

I know how you feel, I've had a cyst removed...bloody nightmare :( xx

Don't worry about not being able to get pg just yet, is your left ovary ok??

Hope evrything goes well in 3 months time! x

zozo xxx

Yes, left ovary is completely normal. So I know that's a good thing. Still pretty bummed up about the cysts on the right one, especially since implanon is actually supposed to help treat them. I guess there's no point worrying about it at the moment. Just need to see what happens a few years down the line.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back