feeling fatter already...

Anna Marie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondered when you all first considered buying new clothes.. I am only 11 wks gone but my waistline has already disappeared and my usual size 12 trousers etc are tight around the middle... I really don't want to be wasting money buying the next size up in everything if in a few months I will have to buy maternity stuff...

I know its probably not good to be wearing anything remotely tight around the belly... but cannot imagine buying maternity clothes already!!

Any advice...??

Ta very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really sure but can also say although i am only 6w 5d my trousers are considerably tight.

I wanted to buy some new stuff at the weekend but o/h advised me against it. So i settled for two new pairs of work trousers for £5 each at Primark. Not great but does the job for now. As you say dont want to waste my money if i am only going to get bigger.

You could always get a couple of trousers with tie up waist and these will last longer.

Check out this post that I put in another topic:

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6039

I have to say that I am sitting here in my maternity trousers, and feel so much happier than last week. I know I am only 8 weeks pg, but my body was telling me to get bigger clothes. I got a delivery from Next last night, and the jeans and combats look great. Not frumpy at all and I can wear them now without feeling like a fraud.

I've also found that I don't feel quite so sick now my waistband isn't so tight.

Thanks girls..

.. will defo check out Next and Asda.. I do have some size 14s from last winter when i was a bit fatter and less fit!! They will be ok for a while but anything with a button seems to dig in .. when I get home I go straight for me elasticated PJ's or joggers... so unflattering but sooooo comfy!!

Need to go shopping.... I hate shopping.. maybe I will order next catalogue instead :wink:

Hi, i've just had a look at next online and the maternity wear looks really nice, better than what i've seen in shops and they've got a good range too. I'll definately be ordering a catalogue.

Nikki

I can defo recommend Next maternity wear if it's your style of clothing. I went mad and bought lots in the sale over xmas at half price.

I'm not ready to wear the bottoms yet but I bought combats, jeans and cords and lots of lovely tops. Can't wait to get into them soon.

I just need to find a nice dress for a couple of winter/spring weddings I've got coming up.

That a girl Tankett good for you.
I feel huge and like you have only reached week 8 (had pain on my left hand side this afternoon and evening which worried me but I think it's passing).
I rang my hospital today and they won't do my scan until the end of Feburary/early march. They say at 11 weeks it's too early to see anything. I'm a bit disappointed as it means my husband can't come with me.
How are you feeling?
S

It is a worry with all these new pains and niggles we notice.

I'm surprised they won't scan you at 11 weeks. It's routine in my area to scan between 10 & 12 weeks for the dating scan. There was plenty to see at 11 weeks on my scan.

It will come around really quickly for you though, I really noticed the weeks went by more quickly once I got past 8 weeks. It's a milestone reached once you get to 8 weeks.

Hi Girls

it took me until about 20 weeks to fit into maternity clothes (which i was very disappointed with!!!!) I just got a few cheap items / borrowed friends bigger sized clothes until I could wear maternity ones.

My advice though would be - if you see something you like, buy it straight away. When i was about 10 weeks i Saw a georgous pair of maternity combats in dorothy perkins - but didnt want to buy them in case something went wrong, and i figured i could get them later. Needless to say when i went back to get them, they no longer had them - i was sooooo disappointed.

I would also advise on stocking up on knickers and items to wear in bed (i found i grew out of my knickers really quickley!! :oops: - went from size 8/10 - now wearing sizes 16/18!!!) I actually find bigger size knickers more comfortable than maternity knickers)

just a couple of tips!!!

L x

i felt the need for bigger clothes by 6 weeks but just wore jogging bottoms for a few weeks finally invested in maternity clothes just before christmas prob about 16 weeks and wished id done it sooner felt much more comfortable :D xxxxxx

Anna Marie - I am wearing the most comfortable trousers I have ever worn today!! They are from Next Maternity and cost £17. They are black and a very stretchy material, but they have a very very large waistband. You can either pull it all the way up (my daughter commented this morning while I was ironing my t-shirt in just trousers and bra that I looked like Simon Cowell :shock: ), or fold/ruch it down. They do look very strange on the hanger, and I nearly didn't try them on. But lots of people had described them to be in the post where I asked about maternity clothes, so I gave them a go. I'm so pleased I did. And because they stretch I can see them lasting me the whole 7 months I have to go.

Rach - I think your son and my daughter are about the same age?? My daughter will be 13 in April. You seem to have got to the 'needing new clothes' stage at about the same time as me. Do you think it's because we are on our second, because we have a big gap, or are we just unlucky?? With my daughter, I didn't find out I was pg until I was 14 weeks, and the only item of maternity clothes I bought was a black skirt to wear to my grandma's funeral. I lives in joggers and leggings, and from the back, you couldn't even tell I was pg. Not this time!! :?

thanks for the tips girls.. I have ordered a next catalogue.. will look for those trousers Tankett. Do you just buy your normal size or go up a size as well in maternity [god anything to avoid trying on clothes. so lazy me!!] ??

Bagpuss lucky you not needing any bigger clothes yet.. I have a belly already- very depressing as just looks like i am fat.. not pregnant!! They say though that if you have been pregnant before or given birth before you start to show much faster.. that'll be why Tankett and Rach needed their maternity stuff so soon then I guess.. not sure if that applies to me but maybe after my m/c last Aug my uterus didnt completely revert to its normal size and now I am showing more than I should ho hum.

Another question for all of you.... when are we supposed to stop wearing underwired bras? in the books it says quite early but I need the support... ??

And finally [full of q's today me!] what about heels.. I wear high heels almost every day but I know I have to stop soon otherwise my back aches will get worse.. anyone else also wearing heels or should we be living in flats for the entire 9 months??

:? :? :? :?

You just buy your normal size. For me, I'm 5'9", but I'm all leg, so I always buy a 12 long in trousers (33" inside leg!). I already have 2 pairs of trousers for work, 2 pairs of jeans and pair of combats, and they are all 12 long and fit perfect. And there's plenty of room left!! :wink:

I think you could be right about why we are all bigger than these first-time pregnant ladies. And I too looked just fat, until I bought some proper maternity clothes!!

Underwired bra's? I'd not heard that one. All of mine are underwired. Not because I need the support having the implants, but because of comfort. I'm not planning on breastfeeding, so do I really need to switch?

I used to live in heels, but unfortunately, I then chose to fall in love with a short-arse!!! My DH is 5 inches smaller than me. It doesn't bother him at all, but I feel really self-conscious wearing heels around him. So I haven't got the heel problem....... Just about 20 pairs of killer heels gathering dust in the bottom of the wardrobe. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I can imagine heels may be a bit redundant in your life these days!!

As for underwired bras.. if not planning to breastfeed then not a problem.. aparently it can affect the milk ducts or something technical like that!!!

I find wearing my size 12 skirts are all still ok but anything with buttons or zips on waistband is a problem.... and I am such a clotheshorse I have rails and rails of clothes that I cannot wear .. very depressing. And I have to be quite smart for work so wearing jeans / joggers and trainers is out!!! oh what joy that would be every day!!

I used to think I was all leg too .. about 5 9 and a 12 long in everything like you but when I look in the mirror now I just see a block!!!!! oh well .. :cry:

Anna Marie said:
I used to think I was all leg too .. about 5 9 and a 12 long in everything like you but when I look in the mirror now I just see a block!!!!! oh well .. :cry:

Reward offered for anyone who can locate the whereabouts of Anna Marie's and Tankett's waistline!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im feeling overweight at the moment rather than pregnant.

I have been on a spending spree in Primark I have bought clothes a size or two sizes bigger. I also bought a few bits from Next and Dorothy Perkins but begrudge spending so much money.

I am surrounded by young female uni students wearing next to nothing all day [despite it being bl**dy freezing outside] so feeling very frumpy in my baggy jumper.. if I have to stop wearing heels too I really will feel like a middle aged mum to be [which is what I am.. YIKES!!]

As for the waistlines.. maybe someone has kidnapped them on the A46 between Leicester and Nottingham :wink:

Discoved H&M here has a very small Maternity section so may go and check that out next week.. at least their stuff is trendy and cheapish.. no primark near me but next catalogue on the way.. yippeeee

I've just told someone in the kitchen at work that I am pg, and her answer was that she thought I was but she didn't want to ask in case I'd just put a bit of weight on!!

OMG - I'm starting to look pregnant already!!! Don't know whether to laugh or cry!! :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

In one way, I'm really really happy, and can't wait to have a big bump to show off, but in another way, I'm really worried that if it's noticable now, what on earth will I be like in August!! :shock:

Anne Marie - the Next combats for £24.99 are lovely!!

It is true that if you've already had one baby then you do start to show a lot sooner - I was gutted as i didnt really start to show until 20 weeks!

Apparantly your not meant to wear underwired bras for a few reasons (the women in Mothercare about kicked me out the shop when I went in to be measure at about 23 weeks and was still wearing one of my old bras (an underwired one!) :shock: apparatly wearing a support bra supports them properly all the way round and this will reduce stretch marks - Thats what swayed me eventually! and apparantly they protect the millk ducts so they can produce properly.

As for the waistlines I go on the A46 everyday from Leiceter Forest East to the Hobby horse roundabout and I havent spotted anything yet!! (mind you I have been off work for almost 2 weeks - if anyones looking can they see If I have misplaced my half-healthy body there too!) Ive turned into a right wreck since being pregnant!

L x

my OH asked me yesterday "is there anything you like about being pregnant yet?" and I had to answer honestly NO.. of course I would not change it for the world but with all the fretting and all this stress over weight, eating, nausea, peeing all the time, boobs sore, urine infection and risk of m/c every minute of every day... I want to enjoy it all but finding it very hard!!!!

Oh yeah and the hormonal phases.. and the teenage type spotty skin... one day clear one day horrific!!!

I love knowing I am pregnant and in a way wish I was showing.. just feel in limbo at present..

As for half healthy bodies Lisa.. I cannot even walk up stairs without being out of breath.. I used to run 3 miles every morning with my dog.. even she looks at me in dispair these days!!!

But hey.. we are going to be mums.... and aparently our OH's find that incredibly attractive [maybe not when we become mums and have sick and the other stuff all over us all the time!!!! :oops: so who cares if we are not our usual beautiful selves.... its not forever.. we hope!!! xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back