feeding

abcd1234

Reaction score
my boobies appear to have given up :( Both myself and Tally have colds at the moment and i dont know if thats what it is but i just dont feel like she's getting enough from me. She's not sleeping as well either.

I really wanted to try baby-led weaning and wait until she's at least 5 months. I dont really know what to do atm really. Everyone keeps suggesting giving her a bit of baby rice or a rusk but i'm not sure. She grabs my food and drinks from my hands and tries to eat them, as long as it's not calpol she will try and feed herself anything that we have on spoons etc.

I'm not worried she's not ready for food, i think she'd be fine (though i am a bit clueless as to what food she can have and cant seem to find any good websites on it). I guess i'm jsut not ready to give up feeding her all by myself yet :( i was prepeared for waiting until 6 months so i'm not ready to give up yet.

Try eating oats they really do boost your supply. Also she might be hitting the 4 mth growth spurt Cooper really upped his feeding night and day. As to the grabbing of stuff out of your hand Cooper does this but then again he grabs anything and everything so i don't necassary think its food related just them being nosey! I'm waiting till 6 mths as i think BLW is the only way to go. Hope you and Tally feel better soon. x

sounds like the classic 4 month growth spurt hon - do a search on the forum and you'll find so many other posts like this one, you're not alone! :hug: :hug: :hug:

its a really tough stage to go through but is by no means an indication that you should wean. the 6 month guidelines are there for a reason and if you want to do BLW then you're better off waiting. its also worth bearing in mind that milk has far more calories in it than food, and contains everything that tally needs right now.

just let her feed as often as she wants. try and up your supply with rest, plenty of food & water, oats, fenugreek and blackthorn juice. and be prepared for a period of fussiness. it won't last forever.

hope you both feel better soon :hug: :hug:

Ditto the others. I eat porridge for breakfast every day and it boosts my supply brilliantly.

Also the 4 month growth spurt can be mistaken for needing to wean but if you can get past it then go for your goal and do BLW. Galen was stuck to my boob during his growth spurt. It was fine getting through it and I just kept telling myself that weaning him would not help him sleeping through or wanting less boob time. Nor would it make a jot of difference nutritionally for him. It would be for me, because I felt guilty watching him watch us eat and therefore I was able to be clear with things and was fine not weaning him.

FWIW its not ideal to start BLW too soon as baby hasn't developed the chewing ability etc and therefore won't be able to chew foods well. Hence starting closer to 6 months. We started Galen at 5 1/2 months and it is *really* limiting what you can give them BLW food wise and a big pain cooking these tiny portions fresh etc. Its not like purees where you make it up in bulk and freeze.

If you start weaning at 5 months it'll more than likely be puree weaning and not BLW. And you are limited in what they can have, just fruit and veg.

I've started eating porridge for breakfast anyway, but it's only been about a week so prob too soon to see a difference.

I really want xmas day to be her first proper food so i'm going to hold out as long as possble. Shes still not back to sleeping through again yet but it's getting better, we got until half6 this morning, but i've been in bed most of the day with a head cold.

Can't add any more to what's already been said, but hope you and Tally are feeling better soon :hug:

OMG 3am this morning!! 3!!!! I know some people have it much worse but OMG i'm not used to being up that early or her not settling afterwards. She has however been good today and is in bed already, usually she doesnt settle until 11/12.

I think things are worse when she's at the childminders and not with me all day.

I've talked to Dave and my mum and i'm going to try and hold out as long as possible and hope that it is a growth spurt and we can get through it and continue feeding.

I'm way too lazy to try formula feeding and i'm determined to try BLW so looks like i'm persevering, good job i'm stubborn.

How long do these growth spurts usually last??

All the best :hug: I'm at the 4 month stage too and for a few days my milk seemed to be down but I've been feeding more often and eating more, and it appears to be paying off. The only advice I have really has already been said but definitely feed as much as you can (even if you appear to be empty let her suckle as it'll stimulate more milk production); I think oats really do work - I have either porridge or crunchy oat cereal for breakfast every morning (usually I only have a banana to keep the weight down so I'm really enjoying it while it lasts!!)

Good luck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back