First-time-mum breast feeding concerns?

KJL

Reaction score
I have really wanted to breast feed so am determined to keep soldiering on with it but I have some questions and concerns. Layla latched on well at the hospital after delivery and as far as I can tell has been latching on well and feeding. It's now been 4 days and I'm worried my milk is not coming in sufficiently. How long should it normally take? I'm worried she'll loose too much weight or become dehydrated :? I have been feeding on demand but the night time is becoming a really slog as she's constantly hungry as I don't think my milk supply has properly kicked in yet. I'm expressing between feeds but am producing very little. I substituted for the first time last night with 1 fluid oz of formula as she was still looking to be feed after an hour of breast feeding and she's not really weeing/pooing very often. I know I should avoid formula "top-ups" but I'm so worried she's not getting enough.

When do I start becoming concerned that I'm not producing enough and how do I know if she's getting enough. Also is there anything I can do to encourage better milk production?

Any advice or support would be very much appreciated

:hug:

Your milk typically comes through on day 3-4 birth though if you have had a difficult birth, lotsof drugs or heavy blood loss it can be longer (mine took longer). What Layla is doing sounds normal newborn behavour, she is telling your body how much milk she needs, hence the frequent feeds.My daughter was never off the boob i the early days,especially at night. Evetually she will be abletospace the feeds out but at the moment it sounds like all is going as it should. Let her feed as much as you can,if possible avoid formula top ups as that just means she isn't demanding milk from you.Expressing is not an acurate measure of what you are producing,I could barely get anyhting out and I managed to feed my daughter, a baby is much more efficient then a pump.

Congratulations on the birth of Layla :D

beanie said:
Your milk typically comes through on day 3-4 birth though if you have had a difficult birth, lotsof drugs or heavy blood loss it can be longer (mine took longer). What Layla is doing sounds normal newborn behavour, she is telling your body how much milk she needs, hence the frequent feeds.My daughter was never off the boob i the early days,especially at night. Evetually she will be abletospace the feeds out but at the moment it sounds like all is going as it should. Let her feed as much as you can,if possible avoid formula top ups as that just means she isn't demanding milk from you.Expressing is not an acurate measure of what you are producing,I could barely get anyhting out and I managed to feed my daughter, a baby is much more efficient then a pump.

Congratulations on the birth of Layla :D

Thanks, it's reassuring to know that we are on the right track. It's just so daunting trying to figure these things out on your own :? I hope that my milk comes in soon as I really enjoy breastfeeding and the closeness of it and hope to continue successfully.

Could be up to 5 days before you are able to meet part of your baby's demand. If you are still concerned, try her on formula milk too. That way,s he is getting the right amount and you don't pull your hair out.

I breast fed and did formula...................I would feed Joseph formula before bed and when he woke up, express what I had, if I could and save it. If not, I would feed him breast milk 3 times a day. Still getting what the baby needs, it's not a problem and a lot of women feed both ways now.

Josephine_Beth said:
Could be up to 5 days before you are able to meet part of your baby's demand. If you are still concerned, try her on formula milk too. That way,s he is getting the right amount and you don't pull your hair out.

I breast fed and did formula...................I would feed Joseph formula before bed and when he woke up, express what I had, if I could and save it. If not, I would feed him breast milk 3 times a day. Still getting what the baby needs, it's not a problem and a lot of women feed both ways now.

thanks for the advice. I was worried that topping up with formula would cause problems. My community MW came round yesterday and told me off when I mentioned I have subsituted one night time feed with formula. Personally I don't see it causing too many problems to offer one formula feed a day.

It gives you a rest too, BF is very demanding and let's face it, it's not easy.

Do what you feel is right, you're with your baby all the time but if you are going to mix in formula, it's best to do it daily, than rather once off.

Formula, these days, contains a majority of what breast milk does. You may have to play about on what forumla is best for your baby though. Best to ask your GP.

Good luck xxxx

KDL - congratulations on the birth of your baby. I agree with beanie that substituting with formula probably isn't ideal in these early days - your baby will be getting what she needs from you and any attempt to feed with formula may cause nipple confusion and may also delay your milk coming in (as you know, your milk works on a supply and demand basis). There's nothing wrong with mix-feeding, but I would avoid it if possible, until after 6 weeks and your supply will have settled down.

I think you'll wake up tomorrow with boobs like bazookas and you'll definitely know your milk has come in! It won't be long now, so please, please just persevere and keep baby at the breast as often as you and she can. I promise it gets easier, but those first few days/weeks are so hard.

Josephine_Beth said:
Formula, these days, contains a majority of what breast milk does.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I'm not dissing formula, its a great way to feed your baby - but I'm just disputing your statement above - it simply doesn't contain what breast milk does.

Infant formula is necessarily an imperfect approximation since:

The exact chemical properties of breast milk are still unknown.
A mother's breast milk changes in response to the feeding habits of her baby and over time, thus adjusting to the infant's individual growth and development.
Breast milk includes a mother's white blood cells that help the baby avoid or fight off infections and give his immature immune system the benefit of his mother's immune system that has many years of experience with the germs common in their environment.

Again - I'm not against formula, I'm just disagreeing with your quote above.

Valentine Xxx

Dylan was born with jaundice so it was a problem getting him to feed but it was prolly day 5 i got up with huge boobs.

i had to express aswell to wash jaundicce out and it was an effot to get the 40mls every 3 hours on top of his feeds not sure how much you are getting .

make sure you are eating and drinking plenty .

congratulations on your LO

cloud9 said:
Dylan was born with jaundice so it was a problem getting him to feed but it was prolly day 5 i got up with huge boobs.

i had to express aswell to wash jaundicce out and it was an effot to get the 40mls every 3 hours on top of his feeds not sure how much you are getting .

make sure you are eating and drinking plenty .

congratulations on your LO

Layla is a mildly jaundice too, she is feeding fine, but I am aware she needs a lot of fluids to flush through the jaundice which is why I was little worried about a lack of fluids. I am expressing tiny amounts at the mo but I have managed 30mls this afternoon so I'm hoping that will be sufficient as a top up tonight. My boobs are feeling a lot sorer tonight so i'm :pray: that I wake up with giant milk jugs tomorrow :rotfl:

I think she meant just vitamin wise Valentine.

Formula is not breastmilk agreed, breastsmilk is the perfect food as the mothers milk is constantly adjusting to the babys needs whereas formula doesnt. Formula just contains the right vitamins and supports the babys immune system - it doesnt make it any better.

Oh god im waffling again! im going to bed :)

mrs_tommo22 said:
I think she meant just vitamin wise Valentine.

Fair enough, maybe I misinterpreted the comment.

KJL - how are you this morning? Big jugs? :rotfl: Well done on expressing 30mls, that's fantastic after less than a week!

Valentine Xxx

sounds perfectly normal newb behaviour. Lil miss went through another spate of this last week...constantly on off my boob..the past few days I've had engorged boobs so she was building up my milk supply to suit her needs. Shes very obviously grown too... for the first six weeks you never leave the sofa through feeding.

I've offered top ups... but you need to make sure that both breasts are offered first so as to keep up your supply. you don't need to offer it everyday... because their hunger varies from day to day.

the first six weeks are the hardest... if you can get over that bump you will begin to love the closeness you get from bfing... :hug: :hug: :hug:

valentine said:
Josephine_Beth said:
Formula, these days, contains a majority of what breast milk does.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I'm not dissing formula, its a great way to feed your baby - but I'm just disputing your statement above - it simply doesn't contain what breast milk does.

Infant formula is necessarily an imperfect approximation since:

The exact chemical properties of breast milk are still unknown.
A mother's breast milk changes in response to the feeding habits of her baby and over time, thus adjusting to the infant's individual growth and development.
Breast milk includes a mother's white blood cells that help the baby avoid or fight off infections and give his immature immune system the benefit of his mother's immune system that has many years of experience with the germs common in their environment.

Again - I'm not against formula, I'm just disagreeing with your quote above.

Valentine Xxx

But it has the qualities a baby needs, I didn't say it is exactly the same, just formula has improved so much, since we were babies. Of course you won't get the anti-bodies and such that BF can give.

Josephine_Beth said:
But it has the qualities a baby needs, I didn't say it is exactly the same, just formula has improved so much, since we were babies. Of course you won't get the anti-bodies and such that BF can give.

Yes, I've said I misunderstood your comment.

Sorry for going Off Topic KJL, how are you doing?

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
Josephine_Beth said:

Yes, I've said I misunderstood your comment.

Sorry for going Off Topic KJL, how are you doing?

Valentine Xxx

Ops, my bad, I skimmed without looking properly, sorry hun xx

your concerns sound the same as mine in the early days. before the "proper" milk came in when it was colostrum, i couldnt see it spilling or dribbling down her chin and was para that she wasnt getting any. but if u listen closely u can hear baby swallowing. milk comes in after day 4 or 5 then the next BF hurdle was amount of feeding. lots of women give up coz their babies are on for an hour at a time, every few hours and they think theyre not satisfying their babies- but thats normal. ur baby has to learn too. it gets easy after 3 or 4 weeks and its SO worth it if its what u wanna do! the next hurdle after that is when u decide to stop im just doing that now and thats the hardest! :lol: :hug:

i had the same problems with Holly at first, particularly with latching on and she also was quite badly jaundiced. The jaundice doesnt help with feeding either as it makes babies quite sleepy.

Just keep perservering, like all the others have said it is really hard at first and you do get moments of 'i cant do this'... but you can.

Oh and my milk didnt come in properly til around day 6/7.. i am sure this is because holly wasn't feeding properly due to the jaundice, however once that started to clear and she started to feed the milk came through well...

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Boobs much much more swollen today :dance: Still finding it hard to express much but will keep on perservering!
Got about 20 ml today :?

20mls is about right...

i am not sure why you are expressing aswell as feeding though...lo is more efficient at getting milk out.. i had to express as Dylan had jaundice

cloud9 said:
20mls is about right...

i am not sure why you are expressing aswell as feeding though...lo is more efficient at getting milk out.. i had to express as Dylan had jaundice

Layla had jaundice too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back