feeding out and about...

nori

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm now formula feeding my little boy and was wondering what people do if they go out for the day. Do you use those cartons and just take sterile bottles or do you have a travel steriliser? I saw one in boots and was thinking of getting it.

Also..probably a silly question but would limescale in kettles harm the baby? I've bought a new kettle but its already got some as im in a very hard water area.

Claire x

The milk in the cartons will have a different taste to the powder. Also works out very expensive. I'd say it was fine as an occasional thing but I'm sure there are other ways :)

When nannying I used to take out bottles with cooled boiled water in and add powder when out and it was needed. Then warm up. Or I'd take one already made up in the change bag cooler pocket (I think the advice has changed in recent years and told not to do this now but don't quote me on it).

I'd try other things first before splashing out on a travel steriliser. Sounds like an expense you could very well manage without.

Sherlock said:
When nannying I used to take out bottles with cooled boiled water in and add powder when out and it was needed. Then warm up. Or I'd take one already made up in the change bag cooler pocket (I think the advice has changed in recent years and told not to do this now but don't quote me on it).

This is what I do, just add the powder so the water is at room temp. I also keep an emergency carton in the car at all times in case I get stuck in a traffic jam or breakdown (Hoping this doesn't happen and I have't just jinxed myself :pray: ).

Take the bottles with the bottles with water and depending on the bottles (the TT ones have pots that hold the powder that fit in them) take a powder dispenser with the right amount in it. Add the powder as needed and heat it up. You could also get a wee flask if you'd prefer if he had it warm and you can't be sure of somewhere to warm it.

I add the required volume of water to the already made up bottle (we make them up 4oz in the morning then add up to 6oz as needed) then put the milk in a pot. I use the Tommee Tippee ones but have a 3 section one too. Then just add milk to water and feed :D The water is normally still warm but Finlay isn't fussy

I have these! I havent used them yet but know I will when I go out for longer than 5 minutes lol!

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/c ... ack_of_3_/

They are fab! You add the powder to the pot and the water to the bottle then when you need to you mix them together and feed! :D I wish they had them when I had my others!! lol

I used to take the water in the bottle, powder in the TT pots and then just mix when we were out. Ella took at room temp so no trouble at all with warming.

Then, when she was having 9oz bottles I found that the powder didn't dissolve as well at room temp so started using cartons.

Now, we are back to the beginning again!

You def won't need a travel steriliser as bottles remain sterile for 24 hours.

Cartons are a lot more expensive but they are so easy when out and about, but when they are tiny you would end up throwing most of it away as it has to be refrigerated once opened, we have never had any bother with the different tastes either.

when out & about, i either take a freshly mixed bottle, as he takes it at room temp.....or just get a carton and pour it into sterilised bottle. they're only 60p or something :D

Oooh now I don't want to crash in on Claire's enquiry... but I was just about to post exactly the same thing!

I'm just about to order some of the tt powder dispensers - genius! But I also have already bought some of the formula cartons and am wondering how to warm them up if we are out and about. My little Miss will NOT have cold or even cool or room temperature milk. It has to be warm. tsk! If I can't heat up the cartons then they are out of the question for us.

Karen x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back