formula q?

hugsy

Reaction score
hey girls,

im not due my LO for 8 weeks but trying to get a feeding plan into action and buy in some formula each week to have a good supply,

at the moment i have 24 bottles of sma readyto use bottles and teats to get me trough the first day and night

iv seen the cartons of ready made thata youjust poor into a sterile bottle
is this ok to use for night feeds while using power formula during the day? being the same brand is it all the same or coulld it upset her tummy?

also how many of you make u bottles for the day and feed at room temp?

it seems to me they are making formula feeding very complicated compared to a few years ago when friends had babies,

possibly to encourage breast feeding but maybe thats just my suspicious mind lol

any tips or advice on feeding also welcome , am veery confused over it all

uring the day we boiled some warer and kept it in a sterile watertight container and used that all the time to fill bottles up. you can use the cartons at first but they can be quite pricey for long term use. you will eventually start to find your own routine with making up feeds etc. took us about 8 weeks before we found something that worked and when we did wee just thouhgt why didnt we think of this sooner!

xx

It should be fine to use both cartons and powder, we use the cartons occasionally but predominantly use the powder. Our HV suggested that we fill the bottles with boiled water and then seal them with the lids etc, and then just add the powder when you are ready to make up a bottle. We do heat our daughters bottles slightly, but that is entirely my own fault, it was a chilly day once so i thought i'd be nice and warm it up for her, now the little monster won't take it cold!

You can buy a powder dispenser that you put measured out powder in for use out and about. If we want warmer bottles for going out, we use half cooled water and half freshly boiled water so they stand a chance of staying warm.

I've always made my bottles up in advance well after the first 3 days. Asked the HV and she actually suggested it.

Not sure if mixing ready made and powder would make any difference but as squeakz says you'll find your own routine in time.

X

thanks girls

see im finding the formula part very confusing, i thought you had to add the powder to the boiled water to killl any germs in the powder so making the bottes was safer than putting the powder into the cooled bottled wate as neededr?

i was thinkin thatif i have to make the formula up eeach time then the cartons would be much easier for night feeds and might not work out that much more expensive if it was just the few feeds at night and then used the cheaper powder for day time

if that makes any sense

also slihtly unrelated but when you steralise the bottles how long to they stay sterile for?

if you boil the water i thought it killed bacteria anyway....???? x

Use a thermal flask :) Keeps boiled water hot for hours.

I was doing th kettle boil thing every half an hour at first and it was driving me mad.

I do now just use cooled boiled water even if its cold I add powder then heat up in microwave and my son takes it fine.

Only problem you may have with readymade if they get used to it they won't take the powdered bottles as its creamier and nicer to drink also they tend to drink more of ready made, something to do with how its made up x it does say on the back to give them slightly more because of this x

if you boil the water i thought it killed bacteria anyway....???? x

lol thats whats confusing me, if i boil water the germs are dead even when coolee in bottleor so i thought
but then i keep hearing that the powder can be contaminated so needs to be added to the water while still 70 degrees

thet just seem to make it all so confusing, iv never heard of a baby getting ill fromeither method of pre making but still not sure what to do and

Only problem you may have with readymade if they get used to it they won't take the powdered bottles as its creamier and nicer to drink also they tend to drink more of ready made, something to do with how its made up x it does say on the back to give them slightly more because of this x

oh thanks for that didnt realise it would be creamier prob best to avoide that cos defo be too expensive to end upusing for all feeds
will the premade bottles i bought for the hospital be creamier too,or are they different again

I used ready made in hospital just eased my son into powder once we got home, he did perfer the readymade so I used that for a while as he barely drank alot and never has he will drink 180mls now at nearly 11 months old, but ready made he will drink a full 250mls bottle x

I wouldn't worry too much about it hun, just keep an eye on baby and see how they are on bottles x

I can only think of one thing to add to what the ladies have already said . . . DO NOT stock up too much, as all babies are different and some don't suit the first formula they are put on. my LO has had 3 different brands and we seem to have the right one now!

oh yeah thats defo something to remember will just get a couple of tins to start with so, thanks hun x

I sterilise bottles, boil and cool the water, then pour the water in and seal, thats my supply for the day. I then add powder and heat up as the little monkey wont take cold (he is mixed fed though)

You are not supposed to make it up in advance as powder is not sterile as opposed to breast millk. It is much easier to BF in that sense.

Ready made I think taste sweeter hence the preference. I cant use ready made as we use special formula.

Dont stock up too much as SMA can not suit your baby.

I sterilise bottles, boil and cool the water, then pour the water in and seal, thats my supply for the day. I then add powder and heat up as the little monkey wont take cold (he is mixed fed though)

You are not supposed to make it up in advance as powder is not sterile as opposed to breast millk. It is much easier to BF in that sense.

Ready made I think taste sweeter hence the preference. I cant use ready made as we use special formula.

b

sorry for all d questions but when you add d powder do you re heat to 70 to kill any germs inthe powder ? this is thebit thats confusing me lol

also it will say in the instructions of your steriliser how long the bottles remain sterile for, think most are about 24 hours though!

b

sorry for all d questions but when you add d powder do you re heat to 70 to kill any germs inthe powder ? this is thebit thats confusing me lol
Nope, I dont reheat to 70C, just to make it warm enough. But i dont leave the formula lying around so even if there is bacteria, they wont have a chance to multiply. Babies will encounter germs anyway and tbh they need it to build their immune system.
I have never had a problem with feeding this way, much easier than boiling a kettle every time.

b

I used thermal flask to keep water hot when my so was first born as he wouldn't take made up stored milk bottles in the fridge.

Now I just boiled the kettle let water go cool then add powder to the water when needed, Yes water is cold and I reheat it in microwave not to 70 degrees just warm enough to drink hasn't done him any harm x

ah i getya thats where i was getting confused , so if i do make up a days lot of bottles i can give it straight to her from fridge just warmed slightly, im getting my self all wound up and she not evenhere yet lol

its all just so feckin messy and complicated, guess il figure it all out with time x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back