question about formula feeding

aliciabubba

Reaction score
I am still breast feeding but I have a question about formula feeding as I know Ralph will be on this in the next couple of months. How do you go about doing bottles during the night? Well Ralph will be hungry and screaming so would you make the bottle up early in the night then heat it up if he wakes in the night, quick and simple? Or is it done fresh? urrrgghh was trying to work this out with OH today lol xxx

HVs and the tins always recommend making them fresh but like you said with a screaming baby how are you supposed to wait for the kettle to cool, making the feed, waiting for it to cool etc? I read somewhere a feed can be made and stored in the fridge for 24 hours and reheated when needed. I only make one feed for the morning as Angel sleeps through. I just make it around 5.30pm and she has it by 5-6am the following morning. I only started doing this when she was about 2 months old xx

They can be made up and stored in fridge for 24 hours. I make them up in the evening and then store them in fridge. I heat them up in a jug of hot water just to take the chill off when needed. It's easier now cos Holly only has a bedtime and morning bottle but it worked ok when she was fed through the night too

I make up 3 feeds and pop them in the fridge. Albert sleeps through now so they are there in the morning which is handy when I am trying to get us both washed, dressed and ready for the day!

i make mine up in advance for the night, you just need to cool them off when made, i stick mine in cold water then pop in the fridge and reheat with hot water in a jug!! then i do the same on the morning to last me througout the day :)

i wouldnt bother with bottle warmer as it can take upto 20 mins to get warm

WE use the cartons as it doesnt make much difference in price and is soo much easier!!
xxx

With all my bottles, when they've been sterilised I fill them with boiled coolled water to 3/4 of the amount needed and pop them in the fridge.

When I need a bottle I use boiling water to top up to the required amount which makes it perfect warmth for R and them add my formula.

For nights I have a kettle in the bedroom to make up a 'fresh' bottle when required.

This way works for us as she has to have a Comfort formula that needs to be made up with warm/hot water to dissolve properly and if left seperates!!

When i started formula feeding, we bought the little milk pots. We put the number of scoops in those, put freshly boiled water into the bottles and sometimes used a heat keeper inner (im not sure what they are called lol) but my lg liked it at room temp anyway so didnt usually bother with the heat thing...

then mixed them as and when we needed them

I am only really doing one night feed now, but I take my empty bottles, powder and a flask of boiling water up to bed on a little tray. E has a 5 oz feed during the night so just before I go to bed I pop 2-3 oz of boiling water into one of the bottles. By the time she wakes up a few hours later that has cooled, so I add boiling water from the flask to top it up and add the powder. This normally makes it the perfect temp ready for her to have. I would make it up before and reheat it, but I am using the MAM bottles which seem to be quite thick plastic and take a while to heat up and cool down! And I only started doing this a few weeks ago. Up until 5 weeks her night feeds were ready made cartons. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back