****February 2019 Mamas****

I'm properly run down; full of cold still. Didn't go into work today because I started throwing up last night and I've just had some diarrhea again :( (had it really bad on Saturday) I'm not in work tomorrow anyway, but I'm supposed to be taking my son to the hospital to hoping I'm well enough to do that. I'm hoping if we have a restful weekend that I'll be feeling a lot better next week as this week has just been too much.

Well ladies I’m about to board a plane but I’ll check in next week!

Good luck at the hospital penniepie I'm sure everything is fine

Haha puglover bless him, we told my son we were going to start trying (as we thought we'd have to talk him round with the age gap; but he actually was excited from the start so we then had to explain it might not happen for a long time or maybe at all) and his only stipulations were to make sure it wasn't near his birthday or Christmas

Haha. They are funny.

Hope you are feeling better soon. X

All was fine yesterday, but they decided to measure my bump. It’s smaller than it should be, but I’m tall so it’s understandable. Had to go for a scan, turns out the baby is actually bigger than she should be! How random.

Got to have the glucose test next week and then another growth scan in 3 weeks.

I knew she’d be massive!!!

Glad everything was fine :)
I don't understand the measuring of bumps as they're all very different anyway

I know, it’s going to be different for everyone! A 5’ person is going to have a different bump to someone nearly 6’! x

Yeah, height plays a massive factor into it. I've also known tiny people who've had tiny bumps but had completely healthy babies; it depends where baby is laying. I think it can really worry people unnecessary when their bump size is commented on (both big and small)

My midwife hasn't measured mine yet, is that because they do it later o or do you think it's something they don't all do?

I'm 6ft tall, weighing nearly 15st now (was 13st before I got pregnant). My bump looks tiny compared to someone I know who is the same date as me, but she is tiny at 5ft 2. Height definitely plays a part in bump size I reckon and how sprog is positioned too.
My tiny human has been sitting quite low recently but I've definitely got big recently....and I just got kicked in the ribs! :rofl:

Last edited:
Mines been sitting quite low too; I haven't had any rib kicks yet which I'm happy about. My son used to live up there haha. Obviously it was years ago so I can't quite remember at what stage he moved up so maybe I'm just counting my chickens before they've hatched.

My midwife hasn't measured mine yet, is that because they do it later o or do you think it's something they don't all do?

I was 26+6 yesterday. She said it was a bit early to measure so think they start at around 27/28 weeks mark. xx

My next appointment is 28 weeks so wonder if she'll do it then, I don't really want it to be honest, I dread being told it's either too big or too small.

I wouldn’t worry about it. It is the size it is. If they say it is either, they can’t do anything but do a few more checks anyway and wait to see. It’s just another worry over nothing! Look at me - small bump/big baby! xx

Hi from france! I have a free moment so figured I’d check in :)

In all my years of having babies and knowing dozens of other women who have had babies, I have seen at least 20 cases where there was concern over the woman’s growth or baby’s size. In exactly zero of those cases was there an actual problem, once that baby was born. It’s appalling how inaccurate and fear-inducing the measurements and growth scams are. It’s tough cause they’re not worth nothing, but they are simply too inaccurate to actually detect a problem reliably.

I got big fast but have stayed about the same size for a couple months now. My body always follows this trend (so far!) in pregnancy. Now I am a pretty reasonable and even petite size for how far along I am, compared to many.

France is utterly gorgeous. I’m reading a book and eating a croissant dipped in a mocha. I can’t tell you how luxurious this feels!!!

Hope no one minds me thread hopping but I couldn't help it when you were all talking about bump size.

I often think it causes more anxiety than anything else. I was sent for a growth scan after my 28 week check as I was 'measuring small'. The fact is they use the same tape measure for all women regardless of their pre pregnancy size or shape. I'm around 5'2'', naturally petite build and normally take a size 6 in clothes so I would not expect to measure as big at the same stage as someone who is normally a taller and fuller figure. I went for the growth scan, everything was normal and basically sitting exactly on the middle line despite all the comments I kept getting about how small I looked usually in a tone that suggested there might be something wrong with my baby :roll: not helpful!!

It also doesn't take into account how much of your bump is baby and how much is fluid. For comparison, someone I know who's similar build to me pre pregnancy and due about 8 weeks after me has a bigger bump than me but her scans have always shown baby to be on the smaller side of normal so she obviously has more fluid than I do.

Of course no measurement is perfect but I do think bump size can be such a source of added stress with so many factors that can affect it. For example I know I'd measure bigger the later it is in the day. If they want to do more checks, let them but from my experience and much of what I read on here, in the vast majority of cases there's nothing to worry about.

Kholl can I go down for the 25th please? Nearly into tri 3, cant believe it!

No worries on the thread hopping moomingirl

I know it sounds silly as I agree with everything you've said and know that bump size doesn't really mean anything but at the same time I would feel self conscious if told there was something wrong. Which is silly as if it were someone else I'd tell them not to worry.

No worries on the thread hopping moomingirl

I know it sounds silly as I agree with everything you've said and know that bump size doesn't really mean anything but at the same time I would feel self conscious if told there was something wrong. Which is silly as if it were someone else I'd tell them not to worry.

I know exactly what you mean. I felt self conscious but my gut was still telling me everything was fine. I would of course go for any additional scans they recommend but as they do a routine 36 week growth scan for everyone in my area, I felt a lot more confident that things were progressing as they should. I can now ignore the unhelpful comments and take comfort in the fact that carrying like this means that I've been far less physically restricted than most even at this late stage.

Everyone keeps telling me how small they think my baby will be but I've always said I think it will be at least average size. We shall see!!

I don't think people think at times; I know a lot of people who think saying a baby is small is a nice comment as it means it's cuter in some way. Whereas actually you can really worry someone by saying their baby will be small as it could come with other problems (I know not all small babies have problems but it is how we sometimes feel)

Same as when people say "woah you must be carrying a big one" That's really not what someone wants to hear and unless your a medical professional you should probably keep quiet about your thoughts on babies size.

I bought a pregnancy pillow yesterday; last night I had the best nights sleep I can remember! I wasn't completely sold on it when I first got in bed as I didn't think wow this is really comfortable; but for a few weeks now I've been waking up in the night numerous times and having to switch positions whereas last night I didn't at all :D So really hoping last night wasn't just a fluke and that the pillow has helped me x

Hi everyone, I've been worrying tonight as I found a lumpy area underneath the breast. I know hormones can cause the lumpiness, but of course now I'm worrying myself about it. When I lift up my arm and breast I can see a small bump.It is a little tender to touch. Do you think i should get it checked out or wait and see if it disappears?

Get it checked out to be on the safe side, but it’s probably a milk duct. I say this as I had something similar a few weeks ago. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back