Fears/phobias you are worried about passing on to your kids

babyblonde

Reaction score
I am scared of LOADS of stuff....

birds in particular but also heights, small spaces, the dark, - yes I am a total wuss.

It's the birds thing that worries me - I'd really like to be able to take our baby to feed the ducks without running for my life!

Might look into hypnotherapy or something.

Anyone else have a phobioa they are worried about passing on?

I was petrified of spiders years ago but a few backpacking trips meant I shared many a shower and tent and mud hut with HUGE spiders and that kinda cured me. I don't have any phobias atall now thankfully :D I was a little afraid of spiders still when I was pregnant but now I'm cool.

cockroaches...and yep I've passed it on to Tia :oops: :( Seeing mummy flee screeeaming hysterically from them has left its mark.

oh god, i have some serious issues that i work my butt off to ensure my kids don't pick up on. Sometimes unsuccessfully, my daughter is becoming more and more afraid of spiders but it's hard not to show a fear like that, no matter how hard you try. I don't want my kids to pick up my dear of water and water related things though, and am working my arse off to make sure of this :)

I have a phobia for things that fly (birds, moths, butterflies, daddy long legs etc) but my worst phobia is definitely for daddy long legs. I have slept in the corridor of RAF barracks in the past because there was a daddy long legs in my bedroom :oops: I dont want Maddison to be scared of these too. My heart races when anything that flies comes within 5 metres of me and I think my hubby gets quite embarrassed when we're out somewhere and I cling onto him passing pigeons incase they come near me :( People do look at me funny especially if one starts to fly and I start running in the opposite direction :wink:

Thinking about it I'm quite scared of water but I'm going to teach Isaac to swim in 2009. I've nearly drowned a couple of times but I don't want Isaac to be scared, just cautious.

Im scared of wasps. So far, even though Ive run screaming from the garden like a looney its not passed onto her. She actually comes with me to put the washing out to protect me and look out for wasps. I think she likes having one up on me, like a kind of 'your scared but Im not'. She tells me to stand still, they wont hurt me.

Joe on the other hand is as bad as me. He will run away from anything that flies and he doesnt like spiders. Likes spiderman but screams if he sees a spider. That he did not get from me because I like spiders. I never kill them, I dont bother if they run across the floor. Im talking about the odd one, I would not permit anything like loads of them.

Shit I'm scared of wasps too :eek:

Scrap my first post, I'm a liar :lol:

Snuggle said:
I have a phobia for things that fly (birds, moths, butterflies, daddy long legs etc) but my worst phobia is definitely for daddy long legs. I have slept in the corridor of RAF barracks in the past because there was a daddy long legs in my bedroom :oops:

:puke: daddy long legs - i hate them so much - i can remember being at school and the boys would pull a couple of their legs off and throw them at you and they would scrabble around in your hair :puke: I can also remember the science block used to be covered in them - literally like millions of them :think: not sure why - it was all white plastic and glass and all the other buildings were old brick style so maybe that had comething to do with it??

They are a bit like flying spiders *shudders*

Ermm clowns :oops:

Seriously Ive had to ban people form getting Isla anything clown related as they freak me out so much :shock:
I really should work on that :oops:

Shit scared of wasps - i must have killed 40 of the damn things during the summer - some bitch up the road has a huge apple tree, didnt collect her apples when they were ripe etc and the wasps made its nest there and the fookers will go scour 1000 metres of its nest to go look see as such. And i had loads of them in the house, so i used to go into the kitchen with a fly squat and wasp killer.

I couldnt let the kids out the last 2 weeks of the summer cos of the damn things.

i dont like things like clowns and daddy long legs but iv not thrown a proper 'aaaaaaaaaaargh' fit lol so Jam should be alright, his dads more scared of spiders than i am so ill know who to blame lol

Snuggle said:
I have a phobia for things that fly (birds, moths, butterflies, daddy long legs etc) but my worst phobia is definitely for daddy long legs. I have slept in the corridor of RAF barracks in the past because there was a daddy long legs in my bedroom :oops: I dont want Maddison to be scared of these too. My heart races when anything that flies comes within 5 metres of me and I think my hubby gets quite embarrassed when we're out somewhere and I cling onto him passing pigeons incase they come near me :( People do look at me funny especially if one starts to fly and I start running in the opposite direction :wink:

We should not go anywhere together alone - we'd just spend the whole time screaming incase pigeons came near us :rotfl:

There is a street in Leicester near the market which me and my friend dubbed 'Pigeon Street' (please someone be old enough to remember Pigeon Street....) and I refused to go down it!!!!

Lou said:
They are a bit like flying spiders *shudders*
Cockroaches fly in Spain.. so I can't have the windows open unless it has mosquito netting on it... its horrific to have one fly at you... :cry:

edit to say if I've ever found one in the room I empty a whole can of cockroach spray into it (I always have 2 in the cupboard), shut the door and have to have either my dad, mum or DH come and remove the offending creature... and then I can't sleep or go into that room for a couple of days until its been bleached down, sprayed again, and cockroach traps laid just incase its a female and has laid eggs.. I know I have a very severe phobia... I have even slammed the breaks of my car screaming cos one was in the road...I dunno what to do its just gotten so bad :cry:

I am scared of sooo many things! Rats are my worst phobia, I took my class to the zoo and they bring out a rat for them to see, I had to stand outside until they had finished.

I am also scared of: worms, slugs and snails, dogs, cats, mice, hamsters, actually pretty much all animals and birds really. However I am not scared of spiders or snakes! I am so weird.

I really don't want to pass my fears onto Ella and am confident that I won't pass the fears on, the phobia of rats however, no chance as I can't hide that, I can't even watch them on TV.

I have developed an overwhelming fear of flying (aeroplanes) and i'm petrified Ted is going to get it and not go anywhere!! I was fine, i went travelling in 2001 but had an awful flight between new zealand and fiji and i swore the moment i got back to UK i would never fly again...and i haven't. Much to my poor husbands detriment as we had to drive down to southern spain for our honeymoon (took 2 days!!).
I looked on the net about the virgin 'fear of flying' courses, but it gave me a panic attack just reading what u have to do!!!
I just don't know how to explain to him when he's older why i won't go on a plane, without scaring the bejesus out of him!
:(

And yes...babyblonde, unfortunately i am old enought to remember Pigeon street, was my fave programme, esp Long Distance Clara!! :rotfl:

I am scared of things that fly too, birds, butterflies, ladybirds, flies and the like. I'm really bad.

Snuggle said:
My heart races when anything that flies comes within 5 metres of me and I think my hubby gets quite embarrassed when we're out somewhere and I cling onto him passing pigeons incase they come near me :( People do look at me funny especially if one starts to fly and I start running in the opposite direction :wink:

I'm exactly the same! A pigeon fle into the back of my head one day when I was walking through town (well it just skimmed me but that was bad enough.) I broke down crying & couldn't stop. It really shook me up.

Definatly my fear of spiders.
YUCKKKKKKK hate the things!!!
My mums the same though.
And also my fear of water but I dought my baby will have that.
and Im still afraid of the dark :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back