• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Extreme sickness in pregnancy

stephaniespora

Reaction score
I have had seriously bad "Morning" sickness (Even though it lasts all day). It has been so bad that i've lost quite a bit of weight over it. Anyway this is getting dealt with today at the doctors so im not too concerned there. Last night after being sick for what feels like the millionth time that day i decided to do a bit of research on extreme sickness and pregnancy. Mostly the searches came back with ways to prevent it, none of which have worked for me but what i found both scary and interesting is a lot of them said that "A higher number of women who feel nauseated or are extremely sick in pregnancy have a higher chance of being pregnant with twins or multiples." Twins run in my family so this doesn't come as a shock but i was wondering if this is a substantial theory? Has anyone else out there suffered with bad sickness to find out they are carrying more than one? A lot of these sites also went on to say "Studies have shown that women with severe nausea and vomiting in the first trimester were 50 percent more likely to be carrying a girl" Has this been the case for any of you ladies out there?

Im just a little curious as to why im so sick all the time. All will be revealed Tuesday at our scan. Im both excited and extremely nervous to see what it shows.

I was horribly sick with my first, all day, all night, I was hospitalised due to dehydration and lost 2st in the first 16 weeks! (luckily subsequent pregnancies were easier going and this one is literally morning sickness until about 10am). Anyway I had a single baby and he was a boy (now 11 yrs old) :)

My second live birth pregnancy I had a bilobed placenta and a tiny left over cord going back into the main placenta and was told it may have been a twin pregnancy in the first few weeks although nothing ever showed on early scans, I didn't really suffer with morning sickness at all during that pregnancy and ha another boy!

Good luck at GPs whatever the cause I hope you get it sorted and start to feel better soon! xxx

I had constant and severe sickness at the start of my pregnancy, 3 months of it. It got so bad that I was hospitalized and lost a stone in weight in just 3 weeks.
Its called hyperemesis gravidarium.

BUT I'm just having the one little one :)

A few ladies on here have suffered from it who aren't having a multiple pregnancy x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Oh, I am carrying a girl though x

I heard that with really bad sickness it's more likely to be a girl, and I knew someone who had really, really bad sickness and had twin girls! Think it's something to do with extra extra oestrogen or something?

I had constant and severe sickness at the start of my pregnancy, 3 months of it. It got so bad that I was hospitalized and lost a stone in weight in just 3 weeks.
Its called hyperemesis gravidarium.

BUT I'm just having the one little one :)

A few ladies on here have suffered from it who aren't having a multiple pregnancy x

I've lost 7lbs just last week, i don't want it to continue this way and its not showing any signs of stopping so i want to get it treated now rather than later.

I know women can suffer and just have the one i was just curious as to whether what i read actually had any truth to it, you know?

Its soo strange going into this pregnancy after my last. My last pregnancy was so easy up to now in comparison, sadly i only made it to 14 weeks and we think i lost it sooner but i was only sick once last time compared to now which is a regular occurrence.

Im sorry you got soo ill in the first few months, i hope the rest of your pregnancy and beyond goes swimmingly. All the best :) x

I was horribly sick with my first, all day, all night, I was hospitalised due to dehydration and lost 2st in the first 16 weeks! (luckily subsequent pregnancies were easier going and this one is literally morning sickness until about 10am). Anyway I had a single baby and he was a boy (now 11 yrs old) :)

My second live birth pregnancy I had a bilobed placenta and a tiny left over cord going back into the main placenta and was told it may have been a twin pregnancy in the first few weeks although nothing ever showed on early scans, I didn't really suffer with morning sickness at all during that pregnancy and ha another boy!

Good luck at GPs whatever the cause I hope you get it sorted and start to feel better soon! xxx

Oh wow, i have never heard of a bilobed placenta. Did it cause any problems or was it something that was found out after delivery? I hope im as lucky as you and have much kinder pregnancies in the future haha.

Thank you for the good luck, i think im going to need it. I feel soo unwell today im afraid of being sick at the doctors, every little smell is setting me off today and we all know how bad doctors surgeries can smell from time to time :/

x

I was hospitalised with dehydration too and the sickness lasted until I was about 25 weeks, there is definately only the one in there though! We are yet to find out the gender though x

I was hospitalised with dehydration too and the sickness lasted until I was about 25 weeks, there is definately only the one in there though! We are yet to find out the gender though x

The whole dehydration thing worries me, im finding it increasingly hard to keep any form of liquid down, even water. It feels like its just sitting there in my chest (Weird i know) and as soon as i move it comes right back up. Its nothing to do with posture as i can be sitting up, standing, anything but it still comes back up. Im hoping i hit it on the head today at the doctors. Hopefully he can possibly prescribe me some anti sickness medication, as much as i REALLY do not want to take any medication i think its time. I really have no energy at the moment, i know thats pratly due to being pregnant but its to the point where my partner has to help me wash, dress and shower etc because i just don't have the energy. I feel pathetic as im not one to ever need or ask for help :(

I've lost half a stone in 3 weeks due to sickness and the runs (IBS) mostly sickness tho.
I asked for anti sickness meds but they said cos I'm drinking more water than I should I'm keeping some down which is keeping me hydrated and that's all that matters :(

If the anti sickness meds I have for my migraines weren't a big no-no in pregnancy I would of had the whole pack by now!

My early scan only showed 1 HB. Don't think my back would cope with twins!

Hope you get some help hun.

I've lost half a stone in 3 weeks due to sickness and the runs (IBS) mostly sickness tho.
I asked for anti sickness meds but they said cos I'm drinking more water than I should I'm keeping some down which is keeping me hydrated and that's all that matters :(

If the anti sickness meds I have for my migraines weren't a big no-no in pregnancy I would of had the whole pack by now!

My early scan only showed 1 HB. Don't think my back would cope with twins!

Hope you get some help hun.

im going to literally beg for them if i have to today. Im really against medication in pregnancy unless its completely necessary but i feel this is now, if i don't do something i will end up in hospital soon enough.

Oh no, haven't they given you anything else for your migraines? I used to suffer with them as a child and a migraine would literally knock me out for a couple of days at a time so i know how you feel. I hope you feel better soon.

Mine won't cope either. Im really quite tall and get a bad back anyway so twins would completely cripple my back haha. Im glad you got a heartbeat in the end, i saw some of your other threads and i was really thinking of you through it all. Im glad everything is ok now.

x

Cheers hun *hugs*

Nope I'm not to have anything at all for my migraines or athritus except paracetomal which dosen't touch them. Woke up in agony with my back today too so dunno how I'm gonna cope with a bump!

Hope you get some relife today hun - if my pee starts going darker I'll go back and say look starting to dehydrate so give me something. Hope it dosen't come to that tho.

Twins run in my family and we have already had twins in the generation below me (skipped mine).

I had bad morning sickness, ended up being seen in hospital and given cyclazine injections.

I am only having the one baby. I went to the GP about hip pain and he said that he was certain it would be a girl with all the trouble I'd had so far!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much with the anti sickness medication. I found it worked well for the first day and then I was pretty much back to normal. Yes it helps to an extent, but it doesn't take the nausea away.

Twins run in my family and we have already had twins in the generation below me (skipped mine).

I had bad morning sickness, ended up being seen in hospital and given cyclazine injections.

I am only having the one baby. I went to the GP about hip pain and he said that he was certain it would be a girl with all the trouble I'd had so far!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much with the anti sickness medication. I found it worked well for the first day and then I was pretty much back to normal. Yes it helps to an extent, but it doesn't take the nausea away.

I have been to the doctors today and he has given me the cyclazine pills. I have been able to eat and drink which is a bonus but im still gagging and reaching/ feeling like death. I don't hold much hope for them as i've still nearly been sick twice. I only have 10 days worth too so even if they do work he wasn't going to give me more :/

With my first pregnancy I had alot of sickness in the first 9months ;-) it was day night, afternoon I was even sick when I went into labour. I had a little girl
With this pregnancy I have felt more sick rather than being sick although when I am sick its alot. I think this time round I wil have a boy just on the fact that my family has a trend with kids lol. Girl first then boys there after lol.
As for twins my friend had twin boys and was really ill with sickness and had to go into hospital. On my expirence ur research is correct lol but I dont think u can tell the aex of the baby my sick, how u carry and what u crave lol. I hope your sickness goes soon.

I was really sick until 19 weeks, signed off work between 6-14 weeks and on anti sickness tablets the whole time! I did manage to stay out of hospital, just! I'm only having the one too and it's a boy :) The tablets didn't cure my sickness totally and I was still quite sick on them, but I was able to function better and actually eat and drink and keep it down. I hope the doc gives u some more after 10 days, I went back every week to get more for the whole 8 weeks I was on them.

I did think I was gonna have twins too, due to being a twin myself and it increases ur chances of having them urself! xx

my cousin is 23 weeks and is still being sick all day every day! she is having a boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back