Extra scan at 32 weeks?

Kirsty.Y.84

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

My midwife told me yesterday that on top of the 12 wk and 20 wk scan we now get an extra scan at 32 wks! She said its to check for growth but I had no idea! It's a very new thing, I think she said it was introduced for babies due from next April (although I could be wrong)

Just wondering if anyone else had been told this? I'm quite excited as I have always thought that going from 20 weeks until the end without any scans seems a long time!

I had a growth scan at around about that stage as my little one is big but didnt know that it was going to be given to everyone!! Nothing to worry about tho hun, just another opportunity to see bubs!!
xxxx

I have growth scans booked for 32 weeks and 36 weeks, i was told its bacause im overweight i think xxx

Oh, no this is routine and is booked for everyone as far as im aware. My friend who is 18 weeks pregnant was told the same thing. I wonder if it's only been introduced in the last couple of months then!
Either that or I suppose it could only be in certain areas.
It's good really, I think 2 scans isn't enough!

yes it must be new, atleast we get to see our bubba's again without paying :) xxx

usually only people who need extra scans for position of baby or growth scans usually get them later or health problems with placenta etc x

I'd take this with a pinch of salt and ask your midwifes as I doubt they would just give out extra scans these days for no reason x

Last edited:
It was my midwife that told me yesterday! She said its a new thing they have introduced, and a friend of mine was told the same by her midwife. Maybe it is being introduced slowly and will take a while to be country wide. I haven't had any problems so far so I know the 32 week scan isn't being given due to problems.
It's definitely true, I just hadn't heard anyone on here mention it so was interested to see when it had been brought in. x

I've been told that I am having one as well, (were in Bournemouth), and it's been written in my notes too :), quite pleased it means we get to see Bug again yay xx

It is definitely a new thing - I got told at my 22 week scan it was introduced in November that everyone gets a 32 week growth scan now, mine was booked in then and there by the hospital.

I'm having a 32 and 36 week scan but its because of growth issues with my first. xxxxxx

If this is true then i'm jealous! I've had no mention of this from my midwife or the hospital. When i was there for my 20 week scan they would have booked me in for the next one :( maybe it is just in certain places boohoo. I always thought 2 scans wasn't enough! xx

I'm having one at 34 weeks but it's to check where the placenta is, so doesn't look like its filtered down to Derby yet, although my cousin is 14 weeks so will ask her if she's been offered it. I thought they said scans were quite unreliable for checking sizes, especially at 32 weeks, as most growth is done in the last month?

I wonder if Kent is the first area to have it then as I see you're from Kent too Meljs. I don't know about the accuracy of the scans but I suppose it would only matter if they suspected there was a growth prob x

Where in Kent are you? I'm at darent Valley hospital but haven't been told I'm having an extra scan yet? Maybe just some hospital trusts that are doing it! I hope mind are!

Mine will be Medway hospital. They only told me yesterday so maybe they just haven't got round to telling you yet. It's strange though seems the ladies that have been told about this extra scan are in the minority! x

I have a growth scan at 30 weeks on 23rd Jan! Theres something in my blood which can cause my baby to be a bit smaller thats why I have to have one. Looking forward to seeing my little girl again though :)

I seen my midwife yesterday and nothing was mentioned.. I'm also due in April ..x

Mrs S your only a day in front of me and im also a darent Valley lady...

I will defo be looking into this 32 weeks scan and might try and see if i can get one at medway if not at DVH xxx

I haven't been told anything about this but I have to make my 24 week appointment for next week so we shall see what they say :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back