• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Exposed to fifth's disease

S151

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
just got back from the peds and found out that my son has the fifth's disease (slapped cheek disease). I've been reading up on it and many write that its quite a cause for concern for pregnant ladies. Now, I'm about 28 weeks pregnant and am feeling very worried.

Is there anyone here who's been through this? Thanks in advance

Someone in first or second tri posted about this a couple of weeks ago under parvo virus - you might want to go through some of the old messages there? I work in a school and had it myself a couple of years ago and it's quite nasty as an adult - all my joints were massively swollen. I think the previous poster had to go and have bloods done to check her immunity?? I would definitely ring midwife and get her advice.

I own a childrens nursery and we have had several cases of this over the last few years. I have always got advice from NHS direct who have said pregnant women are only at risk at the beginning and end of pregnancy. The last case we had was 2 weeks ago and I spoke to my midwife who said not to worry its only a problem if you have it when you go into labour, so as I was only 35 weeks she said don't worry.
I would definately speak to your midwife tho and see what she says.

Hello, it was me who did the post on parvovirus! I had to go get my bloods done, and stay away from the kiddies til then, which is obviously different when it's your own child!

The good news is, it's less threatening if you get it after 20 weeks, and I was only 19 weeks at the time so it was a bit of a scare. If you do happen to get it, baby will be monitored closely and may need a blood transfusion but it's much more manageable after 20 weeks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back