anyone heard of kawasaki disease?

Riot_Grrrl

Reaction score
hiya. i was wondering if any of you has heard of kawasaki disease my little'un had it last year and was in hosp for 2 weeks..it's a serious blood disease which affects the platlets and requires a transfusion, symptoms are terrible burn-like rash covering the torso, very high fever resulting in convulsions, crusted eyes nose and mouth and peeling of the fingers and toes, the worst side effect is that it affects the arteries causing anuerysms this can happen if the disease hasn't been treated for 7 days..tyler wasn't diagnosed for 10 days!!! luckily his heart wasn't affected but the cardiologist found that tyler was born with a 'leaky valve' and a murmor which he should outgrow. this is a serious condition which can be misdiagnosed as measles. this affects mostly asian boys but can affect anyone, and for some strange reason the cause has been linked with freshly washed carpets?? when tyler was admitted he was critical as he was in dire need of fluids. i just wanted to bring this up because it can happen to anyone and if left untreated can be very very serious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_disease

I just wanted to add this information to the above as wiki's can get corrupted and this leaflet is by doctors. xx

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069080/

it is very rare - and difficult to diagnose as it starts out very smiliar to lots of other childhood illnesses there isn't a proper 'test' for it as such and the treatment isn't that nice (and includes giving them blood products - like a transfusion) so it is a fine line between giving it too early when it might be somethign else and leavign it too late when you are sure they need the treatment but it might not be soon enough....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back