Excruciating Rib Pain?

DebbieM

Reaction score
As you know, I feel crappy anyway from a bad cold and cough...

Trouble is, since last night I have had the WORST ever rib pain in both the front and back of my ribcage when I sneeze, cough, laugh etc... It's really, really bad, like nothing I have ever felt before.

I don't know if I have pulled something, cracked something or what!

Has anyone else had this when they've had a cold whilst pregnant. The cough isn't the worst I have ever had so I'm not sure why it would affect me so badly this time around?

I can't get a Drs appointment until a weeks time AT LEAST.. I could have had one for next Thursday or failing that, the Wednesday after! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paracetemol isn't helping and I don't know where to go from here. Sitting up hurts, laying down hurts... I can't win!

Oh, even blowing my nose hurts my ribs!!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time

I have just gotten over a bad cold and cough, followed by sickness and a runny tummy. My back and ribs have been in agony...nothing would shift it. The last day or so has been better and I've been having a hot water bottle at night which may have helped. I think it's all related to the constant coughing, sneezing, heaving etc...and of course, baby's feet hooked under your rib cage!

Hope you feel better soon.

:hug: :hug:

You could try ringing NHS Direct if you cannot get a doctors appointment.

I would agree though maybe Flump's foot is lodged under there as well and putting more pressure on when you cough.

You poor thing, have a few :hug: :hug: :hug:

Do you think flump may have broken a rib for you? I went for a pregnancy massage yesterday (which was lush!) and the lady knew exactly which way Bean is kicking me cos she said my ribs are all pushed up on the right hand side!!

Hopefully its just where you have been coughing etc, maybe pulled something since there isnt a lot of room for your lungs to expand properly?

Have a nice bath and a rest, hope youre not still trying to work while you are ill? Gotta get fit, youre nearly next in the queue! :hug:

M :hug: maybe you have pulled a muscle with lots of coughing? If so, theres probably not much you can do apart from rest and take painkillers. Ringing NHS Direct is a good idea. Would your MW advise as well? Did you say to your GP that you are preggers - surely they should be able to see you as a higher priority?

As you know, I feel crappy anyway from a bad cold and cough...

Trouble is, since last night I have had the WORST ever rib pain in both the front and back of my ribcage when I sneeze, cough, laugh etc... It's really, really bad, like nothing I have ever felt before.

I don't know if I have pulled something, cracked something or what!

Has anyone else had this when they've had a cold whilst pregnant. The cough isn't the worst I have ever had so I'm not sure why it would affect me so badly this time around?

I can't get a Drs appointment until a weeks time AT LEAST.. I could have had one for next Thursday or failing that, the Wednesday after! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paracetemol isn't helping and I don't know where to go from here. Sitting up hurts, laying down hurts... I can't win!

Oh, even blowing my nose hurts my ribs!!

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time

I have just gotten over a bad cold and cough, followed by sickness and a runny tummy. My back and ribs have been in agony...nothing would shift it. The last day or so has been better and I've been having a hot water bottle at night which may have helped. I think it's all related to the constant coughing, sneezing, heaving etc...and of course, baby's feet hooked under your rib cage!

Hope you feel better soon.

:hug: :hug:

You could try ringing NHS Direct if you cannot get a doctors appointment.

I would agree though maybe Flump's foot is lodged under there as well and putting more pressure on when you cough.

You poor thing, have a few :hug: :hug: :hug:

Do you think flump may have broken a rib for you? I went for a pregnancy massage yesterday (which was lush!) and the lady knew exactly which way Bean is kicking me cos she said my ribs are all pushed up on the right hand side!!

Hopefully its just where you have been coughing etc, maybe pulled something since there isnt a lot of room for your lungs to expand properly?

Have a nice bath and a rest, hope youre not still trying to work while you are ill? Gotta get fit, youre nearly next in the queue! :hug:

M :hug: maybe you have pulled a muscle with lots of coughing? If so, theres probably not much you can do apart from rest and take painkillers. Ringing NHS Direct is a good idea. Would your MW advise as well? Did you say to your GP that you are preggers - surely they should be able to see you as a higher priority?

I'd think either a pulled muscle or simply that there is so little room for your lungs in there atm that when they have to work hard during a cough, sneeze or laugh its causing the pain. That to me would be the most logical explanation as its affecting both sides. The area is compressed and they cannot function as they normally would.

Are you wheezing at all? Is your cough a dry one? Hacking up phlegm?

If you are wheezing and then coughing, or if you feel 'tight' I'd look to going to see your GP about this possibly becoming an ashtmatic cough. Not to say you are asthmatic, but sometimes when people get viral infections and cough a lot, it causes a sort of one off asthma attack that won't really ease without meds. Easily treated.

:hug: :hug: :hug: I hope you're feeling better soon, it doesn't sound like you're having a very nice time at the moment.

My dad once cracked a rib coughing so much when he had a chest infection.

I'd think either a pulled muscle or simply that there is so little room for your lungs in there atm that when they have to work hard during a cough, sneeze or laugh its causing the pain. That to me would be the most logical explanation as its affecting both sides. The area is compressed and they cannot function as they normally would.

Are you wheezing at all? Is your cough a dry one? Hacking up phlegm?

If you are wheezing and then coughing, or if you feel 'tight' I'd look to going to see your GP about this possibly becoming an ashtmatic cough. Not to say you are asthmatic, but sometimes when people get viral infections and cough a lot, it causes a sort of one off asthma attack that won't really ease without meds. Easily treated.

:hug: :hug: :hug: I hope you're feeling better soon, it doesn't sound like you're having a very nice time at the moment.

My dad once cracked a rib coughing so much when he had a chest infection.

I've had horses fall on top of me and walked away with bruises only BUT I did manage to crack a rib coughing once - the pain was excrutiating, if I walked each footstep hurt, coughing and sneezing made me want to cry, lying down and sitting up was agony... I could go on.

There wasn't anything they could do because they don't strap ribs any more so it was just pain killers and taking it easy. The worst of it past after about 10 days.

I've heard SOME women say childbirth isn't 'that bad' but I've never heard ANYONE say that about a cracked rib. I've had some painful accidents in my life but nothing hurt like that did.

I guess I'm saying if this is a pain like you've never felt before it may well be cracked - you certainly CAN crack a rib coughing.

I've had horses fall on top of me and walked away with bruises only BUT I did manage to crack a rib coughing once - the pain was excrutiating, if I walked each footstep hurt, coughing and sneezing made me want to cry, lying down and sitting up was agony... I could go on.

There wasn't anything they could do because they don't strap ribs any more so it was just pain killers and taking it easy. The worst of it past after about 10 days.

I've heard SOME women say childbirth isn't 'that bad' but I've never heard ANYONE say that about a cracked rib. I've had some painful accidents in my life but nothing hurt like that did.

I guess I'm saying if this is a pain like you've never felt before it may well be cracked - you certainly CAN crack a rib coughing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back