essentials.

Razza

Reaction score
Hello everyone. im very new to the forum, i know this probably isn't worthy of a new thread so ill apologize in advance, but, im wanting to contribute more and as im away a lot with the RN i was hoping to go home this weekend with a long list of things i/we need for when the baby arrives. The obvious ones im aware of, what and where else can i look to find the things to buy? hopefully its one job saved if she doesn't have to think about that side of things.

thanks.

Car seat, baby clothes, a few bibs, nappies, cotton wool or cloths for wiping (don't use wetwipes at first, plain water is enough).
Maybe a changing bag (or bag large enough for spare nappies, wipes, change of clothing lol)
Sling or buggy.

:)

I'm sure other people will be along with their suggestions too.

Everyone has different needs. I'm being quite minimalist with this baby, but it's my 3rd so I know what got used last time and what didn't, and my house is too small for lots of furniture and baby equipment, so this baby is making do with two drawers in my room for their clothes, and will be mostly in a sling or my bed or someone's arms lol (mine/my kids etc). And I'm breastfeeding again and not doing bottles or sterilisers, though I do plan to buy a pump so I can donate my breastmilk as last time I had loads and leaked for months lol.

Have fun shopping :)

I'm with Phoenix and going minimal as this is number two, we have Muslins and swaddle, maybe 6 baby grows and vests, and a going home warm coat thing, no bottles or anything cos we are breast feeding. Oh medicated bum cream the yellow one and nipple cream were essentials last time, will get cotton pads( not wool it was a bloody nightmare the pads you use for makeup removal are far easier ) and nappies and we are done. My first had loads of stuff that didn't get used so I'm not falling for it again and going with practicality this time. Hope some of that helps but enjoy shopping, it's all part of the experience with your first

Oh I agree with you on the cotton wool! If you break off too little it ends up smushing to nothing when it's wet & is useless, so next time you break off a huge piece which is too big, and if any of it is dry it sticks to their butt and won't come off lol.
I also found the cotton wool pads were much better. But I switched to reusable cloth wipes quite early on last time as I was using cloth nappies anyway so it didn't make sense to be throwing the cotton wool away when I could just stick the wipes in with the nappies in the wash.

Somewhere for the baby to sleep - it should be in the room with you both for the first 6 months do a moses basket (they outgrow these quickly or a crib (bedside ones are good).

Of course you'll also need sheets and a couple of cellular blankets are very handy. Don't get too many clothes - you'll probably be given lots and they don't get through that many when they are that young.

You can get good bargains of you shop around. We found out car seat £50 cheaper at Boots online than anywhere else - plus you get the advantage card points which you can put towards buying cotton wool etc.

Nappies/ wipes are cheaper online too from Amazon but I wouldn't get them there straight away. Different nappies suit different babies and you don't want to be stuck with ones that are unsuitable for you.

Local Facebook groups are great for finding bargains too. I got a brand new tutti bambini wardrobe there still in box for £80 which costs £385 in the shops. Also people sell both used and new clothes and equipment for a fraction of what you can pay in the shops - you just have to go and collect it. Definitely worth joining up.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Its all a great help. im in the Navy but the baby cot/basket will be in her room by her side at all times for at least 6 months. Unfortunately my other half hates the thought of breast feeding ( really touchy subject as i want her too) so it will be bottles and sterilizers

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back