Episiotomy scarring

Les1504

Reaction score
I gave birth 18 months ago and ended up needing an episiotomy for a ventouse delivery. The stitches seemed to heal well but I have been left with a thick, raised and at times, sore and itchy scar on the inside. It did even out and heal well on the outside though. I wondered if anyone else had any experience of this? Will it ever settle?! X

I had an episiotomy too, I refused to ask where I was cut, I was too horrified! I didn't have a look down there for a good few weeks and when I did, I couldn't even tell where the cut had been so it healed very well. So I wouldn't know where to look inside for a raised bit sorry! It does ache sometimes though, especially after sex and now I think about it, it does itch! And how are you supposed to scratch that! I think if it hasn't settled down by now, it probably won't ever. It's a sensitive place to scar. I've got a scar on my knee from when I was tiny and it still tingles every now and again! Xxx

My scar is quite raised too but it healed very quickly & didn't cause me any trouble. Sometimes its a bit sore during dtd but nothing too horrendous. But I'm only 6 months pp, so can't tell you if it'll settle down or not sorry! X

It will settle hon, I had an episiotomy (also for ventouse delivery) for my son, who was 3 in August. It does still get a little sore every now and again, or rather it gets a little achey, esp just before AF strangely, but over time it has got better and better. It took a good 2 years to feel more 'normal' though, and even having my daughter a year ago (no episiotomy that time) didn't bother it greatly x

I was told the sore tightness is scar tissue and given what would have been a very expensive bottle of scar cream it really helped and reduced the scar although it was only little. Not sure if it would work on inside but could ask.

Are you sure it's scar tissue on the inside? No prolapse or varicose veins? Stupid question, you probably are sure. X

I have the same, physio says it's down to a couple of pressure point I fail to relax and dryness/itchiness it either due to thrush or weak pelvic floors!

Thanks ladies! It's definitely a scar and the the reason I was worried was because I am prone to keloid scarring and my scars tend to overheal. I suppose 18 months is a relatively short length of time really in terms of recovery xx

Speak to your GP

This was take. From NHS website :

Scar tissue

In a few women, excessive, raised or itchy scar tissue forms around the place where a tear happened or where an episiotomy was performed. A small operation can be carried out to remove the scar tissue. This is done at least six months after childbirth, when the tissues have healed from the stretching, bruising and tearing of childbirth.
The operation involves neatly cutting out the scar tissue and sewing together the clean-cut edges with small stitches. As with all wounds, there is a small risk of infection, so keep your stitches clean at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back