My poor wound

Sassysugar

Reaction score
So I had to have an episiotomy and ventouse to get Colby out and I needed a lot of stitches afterwards (took dr nearly an hour and a half to stitch me). I was in a lot of pain afterwards and couldn't sit for over 2 weeks. I had to lie on the floor on a duvet through the day and had to feed lying down too. I also found it hard to walk and could only manage to stand for a could of minutes at a time but put this down to 'just one of those things' especially as Colby was a big baby.

Anyway I kept getting the mw's to check wound before I left hospital (I was in for a couple of days) and then when I was having mw checks at home too. About 4/5 days after birth I noticed some of the stitches had come away so asked mw to check and she said the top stitches had come loose/undone and that there wasn't much they could do, that it would just take longer to heal. So I carried on in pain. (after all they're the experts and see this all the time) Even before I got signed off by my main mw (10 days after birth) I asked her to check and she said same thing, not much they could do and just take longer to heal/close. She said they stitch inside first then close top bit and it was top bit that was open and that it had to heal from inside which is why it would take longer, iykwim.

I mentioned to HV and she didn't have much advise either just would take time. So my mum was over last week and she told me to go to drs. Dr took one look at it and said its definitely not right and that she's going to have to refer me to gyne and it will have to be refashioned? She said they will have to cut me again and restitch it all :-(. So more pain and discomfort and really not looking forward to it. She said there was no way it would have healed and closed properly as its a big gaping hole :-( and that it would affect me in the long term etc. It's still uncomfortable especially if pad catches on it

The thing is I was at a breaststart meeting and was talking to one of the girls about my stitches coming away and she said its happened at hospital a few times and is being looked into (it happened to her friend) so should I complain to them as I'm really not looking forward to going through procedure again and should it not have been done properly in first place?

Has this happened to anyone here and do you have any advice?

oh hun sorry to hear you have had a lot of problems. i had a small tear and had to be stitched but i have completely healed now. i def think you should complain as we go through enough without needing to be restitched.

hope you are feeling better down there soon

hugs x

Sounds like you should complain, esp if there are other women with same problem, not your fault and you've been through enough trauma. Least if it's looked into might stop another women having the same problems. Hope you have a speedy recovery x

I came away from the birth thinking everything went well which I feel is good but will see what gyne says when I've been referred, hopefully it's easy to fix and quick recovery, don't want to be unable to sit again.

Just wish it was back to normal down there (good contraception though)

Sorry to hear you're going through that. I had a 1st degree tear without stiches and its still not healed at all, its still the exact same as it looked straight after the birth and that was 4 weeks ago. The midwife kept saying it would be fine and would heal from inside out but I went to my gp on Fri and he said its def not right and will have to be re stiched, I'm gutted, wish they'd just got it right in the first place xx

Rach sorry to hear we're in the same boat :-( I hope you get sorted and isn't too bad.

Wonder why mw's palm us off, at least drs are taking us seriously! Good luck hun

if i was you babes i should complain.. Good luck hon

I think it's terrible - you poor thing. I defo think you should make a complaint. Someone/two/three definitely needs some extra training. Its not fair....hope the surgery goes well, I'm glad your Dr. took notice of you x

I had an epistomy and 20 odd stitches and it was so painful.
I really think you should complain as you were fobbed off so many times, bless you

I'm still waiting for my referal from dr. Hoping I get it through this week. It turns out I now have an infection and have been put on antibiotics :cry:

Feeling so stressed with the whole situation and I think the antibiotics are affecting colby, he's been so unsettled today.

I rang the hospital but I don't think they got what I was asking. They said it happens sometimes (stitches coming undone) and they aren't sure why it happens. I'm going to wait and see what consultant says and then get back in touch with the hospital.

personally if its that bad I'd walk into A+E and refuse to leave until someone sees you x

I have thought about doing that, but haven't plucked up the courage as what if dr was just being precautious and then I've wasted a&e's time?

I'm not in agony like i was at the start but then on the flip side there's no way I could dtd as I think that would hurt a lot. I also wonder have I left it too long and they won't be able to help? Hope to hear this week

I've got my consultation this Tuesday so will update after then.

Finished my antibiotics yesterday. I could smell them in Colby's nappies so they must have been quite strong!

Hope you get on ok on tues. My wounds still pretty bad and hasn't healed at all. I was given antibiotics aswell but the didn't make any difference, I didn't think I had an infection tho so I don't know why I was given them. I've to go back next Fri to see what happens next but I'm worried about how long its all taking for the docs to do something about it! Hope everything goes ok for you x

Oh Hun :hug: Sounds like you're going through a rough time at the moment. I'd ring back the hospital and ask for address to write to to complain. That way you can clearly write down what the complaint is about to save confusion. I'm gona ask hospital for my notes cos I think I've bladder nerve damage cos they had me pushing when my main waters were intact and I was so sore and swollen for ages afterwards. Plus my LO came out with a swelling on her head probably cos of me pushing and getting nowhere. Then I'll make complaint.

Hope Tuesday goes well for you. x

I get answers or threaten to sue them for the damage and emotional trauma you have been throught because of it x

Well the consultant agreed its not right but she suggested that sometimes stitches just come undone. She said it's healing but towards the back of the cut is still red/sore looking and will just take time to heal.

She said normal protocol is to wait until 6 months before they would refashion it as by that time it will have healed more so she wouldn't be cutting into as much scar tissue (or something like that?) and then they can see where it's healed.

I haven't even attempted sex yet and she said to wait until at least 12 weeks as it would hurt too much atm, can even begin to think how it will happen/work iykwim.

She also said that if I want more children I'd be best to have them first as I would probably tear again as I will probably have a big baby again. Hadn't even though about more children yet!

I also have a pile so she wants me to start taking lactulose so that I don't strain as that could cause a prolapse. So it's all fun and games here. Next stop will be writing to the hospital as this seems like a long term issue. Thanks for all the replies girls x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back