Experiences with getting a C-Section

wings

Reaction score
Hello!

Hubby and I are trying for our very first baby, which is hugely exciting!

One of the things that is taking away from the whole experience for me is the idea of giving birth.

I was unlucky enough to be assaulted by doctor in a hospital when I was a teenager, and since then I have a melt down at the idea of them going anywhere near me down there.

I'm really really phobic, despite having therapy. Added to that I'm tiny, 5' nothing and 6.5 stone, and I have a serious digestive problem.

I'd have just gone to my GP and asked where I stand re c-section, but we're looking at moving counties in before the birth.

Can anyone share experiences of how they went about choosing to have a c-section? Did you have medical or emotional grounds? How easy was it? And does anyone know whether it differs according to postcode?

Last edited:
Aw sorry to hear youve been through this :hug: have you considered a home birth? that way you wont have to be near any doctors.

I had an emergency c section so its a bit different but even if you manage to get a planned section you will have to have a catheter anyway so people will be fiddling down there anyway :( I found it quite scary cos you cant see what theyre doing and youre naked on a table, I can imagine that would be quite worrying for you after what you described.

If you are told that you cant have a section I would recommend you pay for some one to one hypnobirthing sessions, it really is fantastic. Then you and your partner would be well equipt to plan a home birth and you wont need to being in the same building as any doctors at all :hug:

The thing that makes me anxious about a home birth is that my mother was in labour with me for 50 hours, and nearly 40 hours with my younger sister.

I'm not sure I'd feel confident making the decision (if things start dragging on) about whether it's just me taking time, or whether I'm actually in difficulty. If I was actually in difficult then I'd have to face a doctor poking about down there. I think I'd spend the entire time worrying about it!

ah yeah I hadnt thought of that. to be honest if you know youre going to spend the whole time worrying you probably will have a long labour too cos when youre stressed you dont tend to dilate as well, its almost like youre body thinks it isnt safe for the baby to be born cos youre in a stressful situation. Hmmm its a catch 22. How do you feel about a section?

Ok, because my husband would be there, and there would be an element of control and lots of nurses present.

For me I think it's definitely the least stressful route. I'm very familiar with surgery, wounds and recovery times as I've had tons of abdominal ops, so there isn't that element of anxiety for me with regards wounds and recovery time. I know what to expect through experience.

I'm just concerned about whether they will let me choose to have one. I've spoken to people who have said you can only have a C-section if you or the baby are in grave danger, and others who have said I'd get one no problems based on my tiny frame alone.

in general they dont let people book c sections for 'social reasons' for example if you'd like your OH to book leave from work so need to know when the baby is born. but your case is quite different. there is a word for a fear of childbirth and i cant remember what it is now. your best bet is to phonethe hospital and ask to speak to the head of midwifes about your anxiety issues and see what she suggests. the last thing they want is to cause someone with your history severe emotional distress.

good luck and let us know how it goes x

Thank you so much!

Tokophobia is the word I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back