Eggs

Rosieroo

Reaction score
My Fil has chickens. He breeds them, i.e. hatches out the new ones and eventually sends the old ones to chicken heaven.

The new chickens aren't vaccinated against anything, they are just hatched and obviously then lay their own eggs which he sells to people in the village and sends down to us. Not sure if chickens need vaccinations but I am sure I've read on egg boxes before 'these chicken's are vaccinated against blah blah blah'

Firstly I don't really like the idea of eating spermulated eggs (there are cockerels in with the chickens), but my main question is

'Are these eggs safe to eat when I am pregnant if the hens haven't been vaccinated against chicken ailments?'

Hi, don't really know hun but all i can say is people have been eatting eggs for years and they never used to be vaccinated. The only thing to be careful of is to cook them well :)

Hiya

I agree with Alsha - the important thing is only to eat eggs that have been cooked through, and if you are eating products containing raw eggs - e.g. mayonnaise, then make sure they are pasteurised (i.e. shop bought jars rather than home made).

As far as I'm aware, the main risk is salmonella and pasteurising or cooking through will kill the salmonella bacteria.

LBxx

When I do have eggs now (since becoming pg) the yolk is always firm. Apart from once a couple of weeks ago when I had poached eggs on toast and they were a bit runny, but soooooo nice :D

hmmmm runney egg *licks lips* My dad as Chickens but no Cocks!! so not to sure I can eat his eggs as longs as they are cooked! *shrugs* No help at all but hey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back