Early scan- no Fetal pole or heartbeat

LucyC

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences. I’ve recently found out we’re pregnant again after two early losses. I’ve had tests and the hospital think I have sticky blood syndrome so I’ve started taking heparin injections. Went for an early scan today, based on my lmp I should be 6+4 but I know I didn’t ovulate on day 14 but don’t know precisely when i did ovulate but based on cramps and ewcm I think between cd 16-18. Had an andominal us first and then a transvaginal. Saw the pregnancy sack and yolk sac buy couldn’t see Fetal pole or heartbeat and midwife kept saying she thinks were only 5+4 and it’s too early, but that doesn’t work with the dates. Going back for another scan in a week to see if anything’s changes. Midwife was quite positive as she’s convinced we’re not as far along as I think. Struggling not to overthink even though I know I can’t change anything. Anyone experienced anything similar? Xxx

Haven't had a similar experience but just wanted to say that I hope the nurse was right :) good luck x

Thanks WinterWolf. It’ going to be a long week I think. Xx

Good luck hun. No experience personally but I've seen it happen a lot on here where people do go back again and see the hb. Fx for you I hope the midwife is right xx

Last edited:
Thank you! I’ve read so much stuff on google and it seems to be 50/50 so I’m not giving up hope just yet xx

Lucy i had an early scan 3 weeks ago thinking i was 6+3 and was fairly sure of dates...the sonographer coukd see yolk.sac but not heartbeat. I went a week later and saw heartbeat and they confirmed dates to be as they thought...not sure how as we only dtd once as i was ill. I think even at 6+4 itsstill consideredwarly and not always possible to see heartbeat....most recommend after 7 weeks...hope it goes ok at next scan.i know how worrying it can be xx

Thanks Melly. That’s reassuring and glad to hear your second scan went well xx

Was feeling more hopeful but I’ve had some light brown tinged cm this afternoon. Only the tiniest amount and it seems to have stopped again now. I thought I saw some yesterday but the smallest amount so I wasn’t certain, mentioned it to the midwife and she said the scan really didn’t look like I was about to miscarry- the sac was the right shape and high up and wasn’t breaking down and didn’t have any bleeding around it, so really not sure why I would be having tinged cm now :( xx

The scan might have irritated your cervix a bit as it was transvaginal. Melly’s experience is reassuring, hopefully you’ll be the same. Still keeping everything crossed xxx

Agree with Nivetha. I've had a lot of bleeding, even full red bleeding with this pregnancy and baby is 20 weeks along. So bleeding or anything like it doesn't always mean miscarriage.

And its a good sign that the midwife has stated she doesn't think that is the case. It could certainly be an irritated cervix from the internal. All you can do is wait hun, as worrying as it is. Fx for you and good luck for the scan xx

Last edited:
Lucy i was also told sac was good and that it hadnt collapsed which was a good sign. Im still scratching my hesd regarding the dates as convinced i should be around 5 or 6 days further along. Maybe it has taken longer to implant?? The brown cm is normal as could be break through bleeding or just where things are stretching. Like nivetha said the TV scan may hsve irritated your cervix! Its good you are not bleeding or hsving strong cramps.....when do you go back for your next scan? Xx

I don't have any experience myself but just wanted to wish you luck with your second scan. You can never be 100% sure on your dates, I think it can be down to when you implant as well as ovulate. *fingers crossed* the nurse was right.

Thanks ladies for all of your replies and support. You’re right I just need to see what they say at the scan. Now to find something to keep me busy for the next few days! Xx

Hey ladies, unfortunately not good news for me, had the second scan today and whilst the pregnancy sac has grown as much as it should have in a week, the yolk sac has disappeared so it’s not a viable pregnancy and just waiting it out now.

I'm so sorry hun. It's so unfair.. I've had a mc and it's the cruelest thing. Just know there's nothing you could have done differently. Take care of yourself lovely xx

I’m so very sorry Lucy, I really hoped this wasn’t the case and this was going to be your rainbow baby. It is so unfair. I hope you get the answers you need from all your tests. Be kind to yourself, big hugs xxx

Thanks ladies. Unfortunately the hospital were a bit useless yesterday and wouldn’t say what would happen next with the tests etc so we’ve got to wait for them to write to us (or at least they thought that’s what would happen). I think we might opt to go private as we really don’t want to have to go through this again if we can avoid it. Xx

Sorry the hospital were so rubbish. I think if you can afford to go private it’s definitely better, you’ll likely be seen much quicker and be given the time to ask all the questions you need. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this all, I hope you get there soon xx

So sorry to see that things didn't go well. I saw your original post and hoped you would get good news. We were not impressed with the state care we got so found a doctor who does private scans. He was fantastic and it was a totally different experience. We are in Portugal though so things work a bit differently here.

I'm so sorry Lucy :( I was really hoping it would be good news for you.

Also very sorry that the hospital have not been very good to you - at a time when you need their support the most it's disgusting that they can be so useless.

Sorry ladies, just seen this, thank you all for your kind words and support xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back