Dying my hair!!!

lillyblue

Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can dye our hair whilst pregnant I have read on the internet thats its quite safe but wondering if any of you ladies have had any experiences?

My roots are real bad and could do with a change! :oops:

I need mine highlighted and have been told to use a cap so that the bleach doesn't go onto my scalp... my hairdresser said it was fine to colour it tho if I wanted so I have been told two different thing :wall: my roots are soo bad so ive bought a cap kit and OH is going to do it... my hairdresser said the only thing was that the colour might turn out different with the changes to my hair etc!

Hi hun, iv dyed my hair through all 4 of my pregnancys and never been told not to!

My roots are about 2 inches long and really need doing but ive heard conflicting stories, and better to be safe than sorry ive decided to wait till baby's here(even tho ill look awfull)

well I normally go to the hairdressers, I have dyded it when I was 9 weeks and didnt know!! which went fine

but as it costs me around £100.00 so bought a home hair dye to do myself? bit worried though

x

*sara* said:
My roots are about 2 inches long and really need doing but ive heard conflicting stories, and better to be safe than sorry ive decided to wait till baby's here(even tho ill look awfull)

shall we start a silly hair thread? my roots are about the same and look awful!!

after my last home hair dye disaster im never trying it again !!

Claire Louise!! What a good idea!!!!!!!!!

what was your disaster if you dont mind me asking

x

it wasnt pregnancy related, but i really wanted highlights, but the hairdresser wanted £90 for them plus £25 for a cut, SO i got it cut by the woman that goes to my dads to do his& my sisters hair, (cost £8) then got a home high light kit (£10) good make as well, promised no brassiness.

so me and my sister dyed it the base colour ... gorgeous red colour, debated the highlights cos it looked so nice, decided to go for it .... well thats where it went wrong, instead of being the colour on the box, they went a horrible orange/ginger colour, and spread across the whole top layer of my hair, there was no way of covering them up,

so i went to morrisons and bought a box of dark purple dye, which looked good and covered it all. please note i also bought a MASSIVE bottle of expensive conditioner too.

but now the roots are showing, and the top hs gone more red them purple :wall:

LOL hmm dont know if i want the nation to see my roots :oops: :oops: ill see if i can get hubby to take a pic later :)

I dyed mine in all 3 of mine and i have just got a dye from tesco to get rid of my roots tonight!

I was told to avoid dye in first 3 months as it could pass over to baby (in theory). Since then i've been to the hairdresser twice to get my hair dyed and everyone has said it's fine. The dyes they use these days are really safe. If you're still really worried, then just have foils done to hide the roots. They don't even touch your scalp!

Had mine done on sat - only trouble is hair colour comes out different when you're pregnant. I wanted eva longeria chestnut colour. Instead i got Cruella De Vil!

The reason hairdressers don't want to touch your hair in the first 12 weeks is due to the hormones in your body changing which could cause the colour to go funny, but other than that there is no proof whatsoever that dying your hair hars the baby in any way.

There has been no full on proven studies that dying your hair causes problems but there is some concensus that strong dyes MAY have some affect, just not sure what exactly.......useful hey!

I think they say to be 100% safe avoid it, if you do go they say avoid going at all in the 1st trimester go from 2nd trimeter onwards. If you do go for a colour , highlights are the next safe option as the colour doesn't touch your scalp hence the chemicals don't get into your blood stream and subsequently babies. Then if you think it's all just a bit of over the top rubbish then just go for it and have a colour done!!

I had mine doe at the hairdressers since it was in really bad condition!!! I had foils done too so that it didnt touch the scalp and so no need to worry at all, and to be fair the pampering was lovely and worth it for that alone! :D

It's fine to dye your hair whilst pregnant as far as the baby goes. :)

It's actually your hair/skin that may suffer due to hormonal changes so make sure you tell your hairdresser you are PG so they do a skin test.

I have done mine throughout all my other 2 babies and will do through this one :D

I checked with my midwife after my friend freaked me out about hair dye being damaging to the baby
midwife said thats an old wives tale- hair dye is not harmful but hair changes in pregnancy may mean colour doesnt take as well or colour may be slightly lighter/darker than expected
been dyeing my hair at home- in fact need to do mine again very soon

so indie 78 you have used a home dye?

Thats what I have bought normally go the hairdressers but not wanting to pay £100 this month! :talkhand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back