dying your hair - is it safe?

MissGobby

Reaction score
my hair is in desperate need of a colour, i havent had it dyed since before i found out i was pregnant so you can imagine the state lol - as its coming to summer i fancied a change and thought i would have more blonde put into my hair but just wondered if it was safe whilst pregnant?!? :)

There are two reasons why it's not recommended

1) If you have an all over dye the chemicals can get into your body and effect the babies development. Highlights are recommended during the first 12 weeks or so because the dye doesn't actually touch your scalp.

2) the 2nd reason is because some womens hair can change during pregnancy so a colour that used to take to your hair one way might not come out the same when you're pregnant.

Saying that though.... I've never dyed my hair but I always have highlights. I didn't have any done for the first 12 weeks but I had them done after and they've turned out exactly the same as they did before. If you're worried about it coming out differently you could do a test on a bit of your hair first to see if it's ok. Also I think the dyeing guidelines are only for the first 12 weeks while the baby is in development.

I'd steer well clear of whole head dying. No matter how careful you are you'll always get some on your scalp. Then the chemicals get into your bloodstream. And hair dye's pretty strong stuff.

I think highlights are better because the hairdresser can paint the dye onto the foil and make sure it doens't get onto yur head.

Having said that, I just avoided all types of hair dye whilst pregnant as I didn't want to take the risk.

K.x

I dyed my hair at about 14weeks I think but I just dyed my blonde hair to the dark brown that I am naturally so that I dont have to dye it more than once or twice during the pregnancy.

I think it is safe but you can never be sure so I just try and limit the amount. Your over 12 weeks and thats the usual time that they say not too. Also I would go get it done in a hairdressers than at home with blonde and let them know your pregnant then they can tell you the safest way for you also the chances of orangeness are reduced! :)

i dyed my hair at 10 weeks and i have an appointment on sat again. i only got highlights though :D

I dyed my hair 2 weeks ago - just did it beside an open window to reduce fume intake as i had to use 2 packs as my hair is long and thick - however in my preg brain stupidity, i used 2 different colours and was crapping myself as to what colour it would turn out :oops: :oops: :oops:
luckily it is fine :D

I had my hair blue black before i got pregnant, and havent had it done since as its a full head colour :cry:

I think that foils etc are alot better because they dont quite reach the roots

I forgot about it and dyed my hair last weekend, the colour is much darker than I expected dont know if this was my hormones fault but my hair has changed so much since being preggers!

i've always died my hair during pregnancy, the only time i did'nt dye it was last pregnancy. i think they say you should'nt dye your hair when your pregnant because of the result, it could go too dark ect

Yeah it'll be my mate doing my hair at her house, she is a prof hairdresser, she suggested having blonde highlights in my hair as its dark at the moment, do you think that'll be ok? :)

Highlights would be fine but I would suggest trying just a small sample bit first in case it doens't take to your hair in the same way as ususal.

I saw my hairdresser last week and asked her if it's ok to dye during pregnancy and she said it's fine because I have foils. She said they're a bit dodgy about doing block against the scalp colours but even then she said some women still do it and nothing is wrong. I have blonde and dark bits put through mine when I go.

My hairdresser would only do my hair with foils as the others have said because the dye doesn't touch your scalp. I had mine done twice during pregnancy and it was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back