During a section..

zebrastripes

Reaction score
Anyone who has had a section- what happened afterwards? How long before they let you hold your baby? Were you put straight onto the ward or what? What did your OH do?
My mum is coming into theatre with me, but my boyfriend will be waiting outside, and I want him to see the baby as soon as possible obviously..and what about feeding etc?
I'm just not quite sure what happens :? :?

I had a section at hillingdon. The midwife with me was really nice, I got to hold my baby (on the bed as they transferred me onto the ward) within 10 minutes of being stiched up, I was feeding him too so it was nice, but once I got there they had to check him over etc. I think you can request it if its an elective especially, although they didnt let the baby go out with DH for my mum to see him until after they had checked him over, oh and before you go to ther ward you go to the recovery area for about 2 hours or so. good luck :hug:

I cant help im afraid..

both my sections my babys were taken away straight away to scbu :cry:

After my section I was wheeled into the Recovery Room for 2 hours then went to the ward - couldn't hold or feed Lennon for about 2 hours which I was gutted about

had my baby in Corfu so it's probably a bit differant, they gave her to me as soon as they cut the cord, then she was taken outside to DH and he had a quick hold (no-one was allowed in theatre with me), then she was taken off and they automatically put them in an incubator here (wether they need it or not????), I had Matilda at 5.15pm and dint get to see her again until 1.45am!!!!!!

MomNat said:
After my section I was wheeled into the Recovery Room for 2 hours then went to the ward - couldn't hold or feed Lennon for about 2 hours which I was gutted about

That absolutley SUCKS!

I have the choice of a C-section next time and if they tell me that's going to happen it'll put me right off.

after my section i was taken to the recovery room which is when i first held willow, my husband was with me and so was my mum but my mum was not allowed into the theatre as my OH was with me and then she wasnt allowed to see me until 3pm when visiting hours which really pissed me off as she had been with me all night, that is the one thing that still annoys me to this day, if i were you i would ask what your hospital procedures are as if your mum is going t be with you they might not let your OH see you until visiting or vice versa if your OH is with you, if that makes sense.

willow was born at 6:51am my emergency c section.

sunshinestars said:
I cant help im afraid..

both my sections my babys were taken away straight away to scbu :cry:
same here and they were so short staffed it took them 12 hours to let me see her :cry:

Becky&Willow said:
if i were you i would ask what your hospital procedures are as if your mum is going t be with you they might not let your OH see you until visiting or vice versa if your OH is with you, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the warning..that's mainly what was worrying me!

I held Jamie almost instantly, after his cord was cut and he was wrapped up? :think:

OH was with me and he wanted to cry that he had finally met his son but was terrified about me being cut open bless him!

Hubby was handed Logan about 10 minutes after he was born (he had to be rescusutated) then I held him while being stitched up but he was washed and wrapped so I could only see his face. After about 30 minutes we went to Recovery and then we did skin to skin and breastfed. We were in there for about 1.5 hrs. Then hubby had to go home as it was 1 in the morning and we went to the ward.

Remeber this is ur labour and if there are no problems with the baby or you, u should be able to hold ur LO straight away make sure u tell them that, its very important that u bond with ur baby as soon as the baby is born.

My 1st sectionw ith Sophie i got to kiss her but she was taken tom SCBU

2nd section with Alastair i got him after he got a blanket on, it may should weird but i wanted to hold him with blood and etc and i made sure i told Midwife that, then after a little cuddle paul got him while i was stcihed up then i was taken straight back to my room and was handed him there and never let go :D :hug:

I had a really positive c.section......... I had a spinal block and they are great..... didn't feel a thing and felt fine the whole time the procedure was taking place.

Grace was laid on my chest with her head right near my face as soon as the cord had been cut and they checked she was okay - only took a few seconds....... Then she stayed with me for about 5 minutes then I asked for her to be taken to my DH (he stayed in the recovery room as hates blood and faints at home even if he only sees a tiny cut - best friend was in the theatre with me) My bf was then allowed to take Grace to DH and he had a cuddle for about 5 minutes.

Only then did the hospital take Grace to clean her and weigh her etc .. and as soon as that was done she was brought straight back to me and left with me while they stitched me up... she even stayed with me while we got wheeled into recovery. I then got to BF her and Dh and BF and I got left alone in recovery room and got told to ring the bell when we were ready to go to the ward but to take our time.

It was a fab experience and I don't feel that I missed out on anything.

I too had a fab experience, OH was with me, I felt her being lifted out and they held her up for OH to tell me the sex (it was a surprise). The portes played "Shes a lady-Tom JOnes" on cd (they had a boys alternative too). She was brought to me straight away so I could kiss her face, then I watched her be weighed, and she was handed to daddy for a cuddle. They took her and daddy to recovery room while I was stitched up, and I joined them few mins later. I couldnt sit up to hold her, so they slid her down inside my gown skin to skin and I had a go at feeding her but it was so hard lying down. They sent OH out for an hour while they checked me over (he went off to ring family and friends and have a well deserved fag).

An hour later, we were wheeled upto ward, but it was 11pmish, and the other mums/babies were in bed so they told OH to go home :( We were both gutted, and it was my only bad memory of it all but with hindsight I was exhausted after a 2 day induction so needed rest. I couldnt do anything in the night for her, had to ringthe buzzer when she cried and they topped her up with formula and changed her nappy.

By 6am I was up, and sat in chair, enjoying my beautiful baby.

I loved my birth experience, it was the happiest day of my life and I still cant believe how fantastic it all was and how perfect our daughter is. I still cry when I see the first photo of us together in recovery room.

Good luck, hope you have a fantastic exeperience too :hug:

I had a c section but cos he was early and it was an emergency he got whisked off to scbu while they filled me up up with the blood I'd lost and put me in recovery. I was in there 24hrs and no one was allowed in to see me. I was pretty out of it so it didn't really matter. When I came round they brought me a polaroid of Jonah and said Robin could come in. He'd gone missing though, the hospital had to phone him. He said that he'd been in the car parked up at the beach just thinking!! :doh:

I'm looking forward to this section though, I'm sure it will be a really positive experience and I'll be up and about in no time, as I'm sure you will be too :hug:

I had 2 really positive C-Sections with my two sons (albeit 17 years apart).

With the first I got to hold him straight away after the cord was cut then my OH held him whilst still in the theatre.

With my second (2 1/2 weeks ago) I didn't hold the baby but my OH had "skin to skin" straight after LO was born. He held George for about 10 mins then OH had to leave whilst they finished with me. The baby was Apgar scored again and cleaned up at the same time (so he was in the theatre with me). As soon as baby was clean he was handed again to my OH for another Skin to Skin cuddle. When I got into the Recovery room about 15 mins later George was given to me and he had his first suckle. We were allowed loads of time just cuddling, feeding, bonding. I can't say how long exactly but would guess at least 30 mins... before being taken up to the post natal ward. For the journey George was laying next to me the whole way. He never left my side until I was discharged.

It was a great experience, one I'd go through again straight away without hesitation, so try not to be too worried. :hug: Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back