Caesarian section

flaxen

Reaction score
Please can you tell me what happens before , during, after and after care when you have a c section.

Im booked in to have one a week tomorrow and not really sure what to expect.:eh:

Ive done them on animals but obviously people are different. They have said that I will be awake and that my fiance can be with me from start to finish.

How soon can you walk and have a shower etc as Im guessing that I will be covered in blood etc?

Do you bleed from down below like a normal delivery or do they clean it all out?

Sorry for the questions but Id like the heads up before the day. Thanks.

Hey hun...I had an emergency section so the 'before' bit may be different but mine went something like this......

First I had my epidural topped up with a spinal block! They wheeled me down to theatre and started to prep me for surgery whilst OH got his gown on etc...they then make sure you're definately numb by pricking you with a needle to see if you can feel it!

There was a main surgeon and then my mw and also two other guys....sort of assistant surgeons I think! One of them was at the top end with me explaining everything at all times....so I had him at one side and oh at the other side! They put a big sheet up so you can't see anything!

LO was out within minutes and they asked us if we wanted to find out together or for OH as we were team yellow!

Then stitched me up whilst oh held LO next to me! It seemed to take forever but think its cos I was desperate for a cuddle!! They then gave me some sort of blood clotting tablet thing that normally makes people sick but didn't with me!

After stitched up I was wheeled to recovery and given tea and toast and we were left for a few hours to bond with LO and start feeding!

After a while nurses came and gave me a bed bath! Thought I would be mortified but after 36 hours of labour pre section it felt so much better to have a wash lol!

They then made me get out of bed and onto a wheelchair to wheel me to the ward....this was approx 5 hours after section. They make you get up pretty quickly so you don't seize up etc....at this point I did flood and also at the other end getting out of wheelchair onto bed in ward! They were lovely and helped me etc as I was so embarrassed!

Had catheter in for 24 hours and after it was removed they made me get up at least once a day! I was in hospital for 3 data after section and bled for about 4-5 weeks afterward! Although i don't think my bleeding was as heavy as a normal delivery as they remove alot of it in theatre!

Was on tablets for 4-5 weeks and make sure you don't suddenly stop taking them as I did and was still sore and had to start taking them again!!

Phew!!! Didn't mean for such a ramble lol! Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions?

I'm the worlds biggest wimp and honestly didn't find it too bad :) best of luck with your section chick xxx

Sent from my nearly buggared iPhone!!

I had epidural, then spinal on top as epidural snapped from normal labour failing. So emergency section for me;

Oh and I had a strange drink before I went in as I am diabetic and had been eating ince went in for induction so needed to make sure my stomach acid stayed where it was. Or something like that to do with it x

While they waited for my spinal to take effect my partner was getting into scrubs. I had all the screens put in place on the tiled table getting comfy. Was talked through the first part, then told once baby is out it take a good 45 mins to put you back together. That part was boring. I couldn't hold my son very well. Also you have canula in your hand to monitor your blood pressure as they kept giving me shots of stuff for it throught out as the blood pressure machine was on 5 min intervals so arm was killing by end of it.

As for after you get a pressure banaged placed onto it for 24 hours then after that they ask you to get out of bed. To walk about and sit up. Maybe have a shower I waited until the next day after for mine it was the longest walk ever in my life. Also do your first wee in there as it hurts alittle x

You do bleed normally like a normal delievery can be abit heavier. Also increased risk of blood transfusion hunny. I had two x

You can't see much as screen in the way but you can ask for it to be removed if you want.

You do get alot of pain meds to take so you don't feel much. Also your tummy and scar are numb ages after hun. Even now Mine is. Oh and they shave you too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back