Dropping centiles

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
Been to clinic today and once again Isla has only gained 6oz in the last fortnight and has now dropped onto the 9th centile (she was born on the 50th).

So, my GP has now referred us to a paediatrician. Don't know how long we're going to have to wait.

:-(

o hon - u ok? Did they give u any initial advice? x x x

Try and not to worry too much. My oldest son was also born on the 50th and dropped to 9th where he has since stayed happily! But I remember well how stressed I was about it at the time, I used to cry everytime after he was weighed. Could be why I have only had my little one weighed twice since he was born...

Last edited:
Not really - having another 'crying day'. The HVs just give the same old advice - feed her more often (tried that - she just won't eat if she's not hungry!!).

At least things are moving now and hopefully we'll get some answers and help.

Oh shame that she's dropping centiles but it could just be that she's going to have a slight figure. Hope that's all it is for you. So frustrating when HV just say the same things. :hug:

Try and not to worry too much. My oldest son was also born on the 50th and dropped to 9th where he has since stayed happily! But I remember well how stressed I was about it at the time, I used to cry everytime after he was weighed. Could be why I have only had my little one weighed twice since he was born...

That's me exactly - I dread going to clinic and cry every time! I hope she sticks to the 9th and doesn't drop any further...

i hope you get some answers Hun! as you know i know exactly what your going through, Tegan dropped to the 2nd But has gone back Upto the 9th she was born on the 75th, how much does Isla weigh? Tegan gained 9oz in the last 18 days xx

Jovan is the same. He has gained weight at the last 2 weigh ins but has dropped from 25th centile (birth weight) to 9th. However when the HV plots on the graph he had decreased instead of increased. HV said it's nothing to worry about (just yet) but if this pattern continues then I need to take Jovan to the doctors. He brings up alot of milk and I have only just started to give him 6oz.

I have to take him to clinic again next Thursday, really hope he has gained enough weight by then!

Oh, our little babies do make us worry! Isla now weighs 11lb 7oz. She seems to just be getting longer, not wider!

i took my LO to be weighed the other week an on the chart they said he had dropped one centile of his weight because he went off his milk when teething alot i no Tristan is 9 months but im not worried bout him hes a happy baby and is still gaining. I think when they mention centile weight its not the actual weight there worried about more about milk for vitamins to help there bones etc.. thats what i got told anyways an they said if he drops one more centile from the chart then they'll send us docs most likely to pedatrition but if your baby is happy an you are to i dont see a problem i think health visitor are so interfering. LO is 16lbs when we last had him weight and hes just taken back to his milk again which is good :D. hope i dont get moaned at by health visitor if he hasnt put on the centile weight although cos he was 6 weeks early they cant push what a baby cant take an it pee's me off cos im tryin to get milk down him but sometimes depends what mood hes in if he takes it he takes it if he dont then i wont force it.
Half of these health visitors havent had babies and they like to make us worry. Try not to over panic take each day as it comes hun thats all you can do x

Oh, our little babies do make us worry! Isla now weighs 11lb 7oz. She seems to just be getting longer, not wider!

How old is she now Hun? the pediatrician isn't that bothered about Tegans weight as she is growing in length. Im sure Isla will be fine xx

Zac was exactly the same! He was born on the 50th and dropped to the 9th. It would take me 2 hours of all sorts of tricks (standing up, singing, dancing about, getting him to sleep) for him to have about 4oz of milk, it was exhausting! He stayed on the 9th, but only because I practically forced his bottles down him. I always gave him a dream feed at night until he was 6 months to keep his weight up, and Dr browns bottles helped a bit. When I started weaning he completely changed, now he downs 7oz bottles no problem! Don't really have much advice except try not to worry too much, is she a happy baby? Hopefully it will get easier for you, I know how upsetting it can be xxx

Hey chick,

I've given up worrying about how much little Ben has each feed, hes never had more than around 90 mls (3oz) in one sitting. Its little and often. When we were in hospital it was force feeding down the tube and with the bottle he always ended up being sick, so i never force him now. But hes still a nightmare to feed, i don't think he enjoys it at all!! I used to end up exhausted trying to feed him it took hours, but now we just do our own thing. He is gaining weight, but if it wasn't for the milk hes on i dought he would be gaining much at all to be honnest xxxxxxxxxxx

How old is she now Hun? the pediatrician isn't that bothered about Tegans weight as she is growing in length. Im sure Isla will be fine xx

She's 15 weeks now. Isla was 53cm and is now 63cm so has done lots of growing that way! I will feel happier when she sees the paed and they will hopefully reassure us that she is doing ok!

Zac was exactly the same! He was born on the 50th and dropped to the 9th. It would take me 2 hours of all sorts of tricks (standing up, singing, dancing about, getting him to sleep) for him to have about 4oz of milk, it was exhausting! He stayed on the 9th, but only because I practically forced his bottles down him. I always gave him a dream feed at night until he was 6 months to keep his weight up, and Dr browns bottles helped a bit. When I started weaning he completely changed, now he downs 7oz bottles no problem! Don't really have much advice except try not to worry too much, is she a happy baby? Hopefully it will get easier for you, I know how upsetting it can be xxx

Thanks - I hope she will discover her appetite when we start weaning.

She is happy and active. We have 1 or 2 feeds every day which are a bit of a battle - sometimes it seems to be because she's in discomfort but Infacol seems to help and then other times, she'll just keep refusing for about 20 minutes and then suddenly decides to take it and then drinks ok but she never drinks more than 5oz.

aw try not to worry Ellie keeps going up and dropping all the time she is 23 weeks, 16 corrected and weighs 12lb 5oz but last week she was only 11lb 5oz its good that they are refferring you and that means that they can keep a wee eye on her, plus remember they grow in length too and also they are wriggling more now and burning all their wee calories. xx

i know your not suppose to to start giving them food yet but have you tried giving baby rice if baby not taking feeds that offten i started amy on a few spoonful as she refused milk she would take 3-4 bottles a day and slept thu the night i ound that just that lil extra helped her she loved it amy was on the 4th centile i think it is when she was born them sh dropped below it but now shes over it shes only weighs about 20lbs probs a little more at 3 months she only weighed about 6lb 9oz or something like that

If she is happy and active I would try not to worry. Toby has never kept to his centimes either, and was fine waiting to 6 months for weaning :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back