Drinking and ttc

Pinkz

Reaction score
As the title states.

What do you do about drinking and TTC? I'm invited on a night out next week and they get messy but AF is due 18th so potentially won't have a positive by then if I was pregnant.

I don't want to not drink as they might think I am and if I'm not I don't want to have to explain. Tempted to just make an excuse

When I first started TCC I didn't drink on so many nights out and had such a shit time, Incase I was pregnant, And I wasn't! Now I just drink.
I don't drink often so Its not like its a habbit. Plus LOADS of women don't even know their pregnant for the first few weeks! It'll be fine :)

I drink and enjoy myself!! I've been ttc for almost 2 years and there's no way I wouldn't have had a drink in all that time 'just in case'. The placenta hasn't even formed yet (or you possibly haven't even implanted yet) so you have absolutely nothing to worry about in the tww. Obviously be sensible and don't get paralytic but enjoy yourself! Xx

Thanks I don't really drink that often. A few gins every now and again. Chances are I'm gonna know pretty soon on if I get pregnant since we are trying. Not like it's a mistake and as you say lots of women drink not knowing for ages!

After reading articles about how alcohol is bad for fertility I don't drink at all. It's also very bad for male fertility, literally kills sperm apparently.

I don't drink but never have. I think if you drink in moderation there's no harm to it.

After reading articles about how alcohol is bad for fertility I don't drink at all. It's also very bad for male fertility, literally kills sperm apparently.

This can't be completely accurate when you think about the amount of babies conceived after majorly drunken one night stands! Alcohol is bad for fertility when you're someone who drinks often and a heavy amount. Being a social drinker every so often doesn't cause issues.

No one is encouraging you to drink all throughout your tww or early pregnancy (obviously) but one night within your tww when you most likely won't have even implanted will do no harm at all!

Xx

Last edited:
Enjoy life! I had so many restrictions for so long and it can make you feel more bitter, esp if you are trying a while. I am not really a drinker anyway but liked a couple of cocktails if we were going somewhere that did them. In moderation is fine.
Alcohol can apparently have an affect of fertility but I think that's likely in excess, my fertility consultant never said to us to have zero alcohol, only when we were going good through IVF but when trying naturally, he didn't say to completely avoid. Smoking though was the biggest thing he said about. I never smoked but OH did, quit after that appointment.
You never know how long it will take, hopefully not long but try not to make it all regimented, I have been there and it's not great xx

Last edited:
MrsS15...I don't know. The suggestion seemed to be that getting pregnant on a drunken one night stand happens because it takes time for the alcohol to negatively affect fertility. If you've been trying for ages with no luck maybe it's worth stopping drinking. I'm not drinking as I'm 41 and am not finding it easy to get pregnant...for those with plenty of time it's probably not an issue. The articles are scary though...it wasn't heavy drinking. The only really indepth research that has been done is on IVF treatment so people don't know for sure. But in that study it had a huge impact.

http://natural-fertility-info.com/effects-of-alcohol-on-fertility.html

Last edited:
Oh well we have only just started trying and it's one night. If I did test before then I wouldn't drink but it's going to be next Saturday and AF is 18th so that's quite early isn't it? Don't have any plans for next month.

Hey Mrs just to say that the night before I found out I was preg with my lo I drank two bottles of wine (was my best friends engagement!) and the following morning I didn't have any hangover but I was starving and my gums were bleeding when I brushed and I just knew something was up!

I'm not saying everyone should get absolutely drunk but a few Gins won't harm you!

enjoy yourself whilst you can! i wouldnt advise getting paralytic - but it wont harm

i smoked and drank occasionally before i got pregnant im 25, my OH is a big drinker, drinks every night and he is 44 and we fell pregnant.

one night wont harm, some girls go to 12 weeks without knowing they are pregnant drinking and smoking

Have a drink, life is too short! I was lttc with my first and went through a phase of not drinking in the tww - I found I was even more miserable when it was a bfn as I'd stopped myself having a good time as well. I wasn't ttc for my second and went to visit a good friend in the tww, we drank prosecco all night til about 3am and I got pregnant that month xx

Thanks everyone. I don't drink that much anyway. So little only my actual gp believes me (had all my life) I always get the look off nurses or locums when I say 1-2 units and they say per day... no probably per month... at the most. I'm bad in the sense I probably binge by having 4 or 5 gins when I go out but I go out soooooo rarely these days anyway. I'm hoping I will be able to test tomorrow or Saturday. AF due 18th... so if I get a BFP I can say I'm ill - I'm loaded with cold anyway. Failing that I think 1 gin then 1 lemonade might be the way to go

I did a little research on this and came to the conclusion there is no real harm, it's hard enough for you ladies TTC without being able to have a little drink and let your hair down now and again.

When I ttc my first I was similar, but I found it more upsetting if I'd missed a party because I was ttc and then wasn't pregnant it got to me more. So I just tried to live life normally.
I fell pregnant 12 month later after a night drunk on a camping trip (with my husband lol). Xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back