dressing newborn baby question

fothers

Reaction score
This is probably a bit of a daft question but what sort of layers will a newborn in January need to wear when in the house?

I have lots of babygrows with long sleeves and long legs but what do they need to wear underneath- I assume vests or tshirts?

How many of these should I buy?

I am clueless :oops:

Either vests with poppers at the bottom - or t shirt like vests

And I'd buy at least 7 - they need changing so often through being sick or nappies leaking :wink:

Then depending on how warm your house is I'd add a cardigan on top

A good guide is that baby should usually wear one more layer than you - so if you are in a t-shirt, they should be wearing vest/t-shirt or vest/babygro and if you are in a jumper and t-shirt, then they should be wearing vest/t-shirt/cardie, vest/babygro/jumper etc.

The best way to test a baby's body temperature quickly (without using a thermometer) is to put two fingers on their chest or down behind their neck under their clothes. Don't go by their hands or feet - babies hands and feet are often cold as all the wamth is concentrated in the areas where the organs are.

Hope that makes sense. I was really worried about things like what to dress a baby in, but as soon as she arrived, I just *knew* - its funny what you are confused about when pregnant, but seems so natural when you are a mum, even though you are in completely new territory.

Valentine Xxx

Oooh and I've got about 15/20 vests in my LOs current size (3-6 mths) and 10 babygros - you can never have enough.

However, saying that, don't buy too many in newborn size - my LO was 8lb 3.5oz born, but only fitted into newborn size until she was 3 1/2 weeks old - then went into 0-3 month size. However, she could wear 0-3 month from birth, it was just really big on her - but she soon grew into it.

I'll stop rambling on now...

Valentine Xxx

Thanks girls- I will get some more little vesty things when I next go shopping.

Isn't it funny- I am not at all bothered about giving birth- just how to look after her when she is here!

tescos and ethel austin are great for baby gros and vests and they wash and wear well and are keeping my little girl nice and snuggled!

Like valentine said you cant have too many cos its when there sick on them, poop on them etc etc!

Matalan do lovely babygro's with fold over hand bits that double as scratch mits and to keep their hands warm in bed :)
I was like you fothers, birth, not a problem, once they're here :shock: but you WILL be just fine, if you need anything or have too much of anything, it will get sorted, LO's generally always wear a vest under their gro, suit etc.. very best wishes :hug:

ive got about hmmm 40 bodysuits atm lol. i got brought way to many after the birth. but as said, you can never have too many. i get through loads.

We have been bought LOADS of clothes so don't go mad on clothes because your family and friends will probably buy you loads.

At the moment we've just got Finn in a babygro and his vest - although the house is nice and warm. I sometimes put socks on him too under his baby gro because his little toes get chilly.

We've found that the newborn stuff which goes up to about 10lbs is perfect for him on top but once he stretches his legs out, his toes are right at the end of the feet in the baby gro. 0-3 months tends to be on the big side but we've just rolled up the sleeves. We got a pack of 2 pairs of trousers in Matalan - one is cream velour and we put that with a little t shirt (tiny baby! Still massive!) and a jumper my mum knitted and that's a nice snug outfit.

I bought a pack of 3 sleepsuits in ASDA (First size as the 0-3 are huge on him) for about £3.75 and they're really good value - and he looks like a little angel in the white sleepsuit!!!

We also have found that snowsuits - even the small sizes are massive!!!

His arms weren't even in the arms! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back