1st timer q's on baby supplies!

Laur_250

Reaction score
Hi, Im sure this has been posted before so sorry! But I'm trying to get as prepared as possible and so have just started organising everything I've bought into a new chest of drawers so I know what Ive got. Ive been buying lots of babygrows in sizes newborn and 0-3 and even some 3-6 and intend to get as many as I can in each size as I read the post about it being better than having to keep washing them. These are the babygrows that are short sleeved and legless which I assume they wear everyday?? My question is what do they wear at night, I only have a few of the sleepsuits (long sleeves and legs) and didnt know if I needed more as they wear them every night or if the baby will wear babygrows to bed??? I am due in August and intend to use a sleeping bag if this makes a difference??

Also off topic, I intend to breastfeed but will need to express sometimes as we have our wedding a month after due date (crazy I know!!!) so MIL will be feeding them through that day, my question is can I express staright into sterilised bottles then refridgerate until used and warm or will the bottles not remain sterile unless used immediately??

Sorry this post is HUGE :oops: but any advice will be very much appreciated!! :hug: xx

I put Summer in a sleep suit at night but she was born in September and the first few day after she was born it was absolutly boiling hot so I put her in a babygrow but changed her back into a sleepsuit if it got a bit nippy when she woke up for a night feed.

Not sure I can offer much advice but with this months Pregnancy & Birth magazine theres a brilliant booklet that comes free all about breastfeeding and expressing, well worth a read.

I would say you need at least 6 sleepsuits (poppers up the front, long arms and legs) in each size, at first they may wear them all the time, day and night.
Vests (the short arms/legs one) you may need a few more than that.

With regards to the expressing, although the recommendation is not to express for the first 6-8 weeks, I can see why on your wedding day you will need a back-up!
I would get some freezer bags and freeze your milk. Bottles will stay sterile for around 24 hours as long as they are sealed.

Urchin said:
I would say you need at least 6 sleepsuits (poppers up the front, long arms and legs) in each size, at first they may wear them all the time, day and night.
Vests (the short arms/legs one) you may need a few more than that.

With regards to the expressing, although the recommendation is not to express for the first 6-8 weeks, I can see why on your wedding day you will need a back-up!
I would get some freezer bags and freeze your milk. Bottles will stay sterile for around 24 hours as long as they are sealed.

Thanks, so would you say to get enough sleepsuits for at least one a day and then do they just wear the vest ones under other outfits or if too hot usually??

If I really cant express milk I will just have to use formula for that day but Ive bought the closer to nature bottles to make it easier, when you say sealed do you mean just with the cap/lid on and would this apply if they had milk in??

Thanks everyone!!!xx

Hi Laura,

I'd say buy about 6-8 sleepsuits (what is the difference anyone between a sleepsuit and a babygro - I thought they were the same thing?) and 6-8 short sleeved vests (as your baby is a summer baby). When your baby is a newborn, s/he will probably wear a nappy, vest (no legs - poppers between the legs) and a sleepsuit (long legs, long arms, poppers all the way up) during the day and the same (get them changed but into similar get-up again) at night with a grobag over the top. Some people put their newborns in outfits or dresses - I did 'cos we had lots of tiny summer dresses (DD born in late July) that needed to be worn!

I really wouldn't worry about buying too much as people will buy these things for you and you can always send someone out to get the things you don't have. OH and I went out on day 3 (with baby obviously) to the shops and bought newborn sleepsuits and vests as we only had about 4 of each naively thinking she'd be fine in 0-3 size which drowned her at the time!

Its not a disaster if you don't have everything you need - you can't prepare for everything. Your baby might be small so in 'early baby' size or big and straight into 0-3 size - you just won't know.

Also - its a big learning curve having a baby but don't be scared of getting it wrong. Its not the end of the world if you buy something and don't use it or change your opinion on something once you are a Mum, we've all definitely been there and bought the t-shirt. It'll all work out well in the end.

Lots of love and luck

Valentine Xxx

Babygrows and sleepsuits are the same thing, just people call them different names!
I agree with the others!
Your baba will probably mainly wear a vest and a babygrow most of the time for a few weeks!
My babies always wore a vest whether under a babygrow or normal clothes but not everyone does that!? That is up to you!

I'm a great believer in sleepsuits for the early months instead of outfits of clothes. Much easier to change etc for you and baby.

I've gone for about 8 sleepsuits and about the same, maybe a few more in vests. That way LO will have one on, one to wear, and a few in the wash etc. Plus you'd change them into a different one for nightwear with a sleeping bag.

I always use short sleeved vests under sleepsuits, day or night.

BTW, to me a babygrow is a sleepsuit. With long arms and legs. A vest is a vest, short sleeved and legged with poppers to do them up. You can also get long sleeved vests :)

Also check your tog rating for the time of year for the sleeping bag. And that its suitable to use weight wise for your baby from birth. Some are only for 10lb upwards, others can be used from a lesser weight. Its a case of reading the small print on the packaging. Our sleeping bags are from 7.5lb upwards, so should be fine for our LO. If LO weighs less we will use blankets till they are big enough. We also got different tog ratings so as to cover all bases.

Thanks everyone I think what was confusing me was I thought of a vest as a babygrow and a sleepsuit as just what they wear to bed, so I think I will now stock up on the sleepsuits (babygrows!) so I have as many as the vests as they will probably wear these most of the time!!! Any ideas on the sterilising question???xx

I personally put Austin in little outfits from day 1 because they're sooo cute! He was born late March so the weather wasn't too warm, so he used to have a vest & outfit during the day & a vest & sleepsuit at night. When the weather got warmer I stopped putting a vest on him both during the day & at night. If it was really warm I just put him in a romper suit ( like a babygro but short sleeves, short legs & loose fitting) or nothing but a nappy. I think I started off with about 10 vests, 3 babygros & 3 or 4 outfits but people kept buying more & we had loads!

Be careful at night, if the weather is warm you may only need to put baby in a vest in the sleeping bag so he doesn't overheat.

With regards to the sterilising, like Urchin said store the milk in freezer bags (you can buy pre-sterilised ones specially for breastmilk). The milk only keeps for 24 hours in the fridge and you'll need to start expressing longer than that in advance if you want a full day's supply.

Good luck with everything :hug:

Ryan was born in August (24th) and it was boiling hot I had my own fan bought to me in hospital as the window was stuck closed. He slept in sleepsuits, and has done pretty much most nights. If it's really really warm then he has occasionally just slept in a vest but we went and covered him up with a thin ish blanket to make sure he didn't get too cold.

Get a baby nursery thermometer so you know the temperature of the room. Also you can get cotton sleeping bags that aren't that thick, they may be a better idea until it gets colder - don't want the mite to overheat.

Also re: expressing. I sterilised the bottles, expressed into them, and put a lid on and then used after warmed. Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not but we never had any problems. There's so much talk about sterilising, you can't sterilise absolutely everything every minute of the day.. so long as they're sterile to start with and clean etc I don't see anything wrong with it. If you were worried, you could use a lid and then change the teat to a freshly sterilised one just before you feed it?

Here's some info re: expressed milk storage by the way which I found helpful-
clicky

Another hint, don't get too many things in size newborn... 0-3 is the way forward as they are in them for a lot longer. And yeah, Ryan wears a vest every day under his clothes and/or sleepsuits. Except for at the moment because he's got chicken pox and we got him in as few clothes as poss so they don't rub.

Best wishes!
Michelle x

The bottles should be fine for 1 day if you take them straight out of the steriliser and put the lids/teats on right away. You can keep them in the fridge or at room temp.
Use the frozen BM, keep some of it in a freezer bag maybe till you get to the reception, then you can defrost it and warm it as and when you need it.

Tell the hotel or whatever not to microwave it, the best way to defrost is room temperature, then a jug of hot water.

You'll be fine, it sounds complicated but it's easy really.

Hi just wanted to give you some encouragement with regards to expressing early as I had to leave Eva with her grandparents for a few hours last weekend. I was advised it wasnt ideal but since I had no choice, to start expressing a week or so before and get her practising once a day with a bottle as its very different from breast for her, even if its only a couple of ounces. Also get your OH to feed her so she cant smell you!
It does mess a bit with your supply, but I try to express a little after each feed during the day (in separate bottles in the fridge and add them together when all same temp) and end up with enough for one feed in the evening.
Since its just for one day I wouldnt stress about getting enough expressed milk, just use whatever you have and then use formula, or you might be leaking milk all day - I can really tell the next day when Eva has had a bit of a binge or I have overdone the expressing!!! :lol:

Good luck and have a wonderful day :hug:

Thanks everyone thats really helpful! I think I will get some freezer bags and try to express the week in advance but also take some formula just in case and i will maybe express some straight into some bottles and refridgerate as I agree Leckershell you cant be expected to sterilise everything the second you need it so Im glad you had no problems with this as it seems easier! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back