• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dreading bedtime again

I wouldn't say formula is the answer as there is no proof baby will go 'longer' because of it.

How's it going now? Have you got some rest?

I was going to suggest the expressing like hellywelly said if only to check supply.

At least that would be one thing ruled out of your mind vicky so you can start working through the rest of them xxxx

Ive caught an hour and a half there but she's stirring again so I'm trying to feed her.

I did get something out of my boobs earlier when I expressed but not much.

I'm not trying to get her to go longer, I'm trying to get her to stop crying! She's not feeding from me very well at all at the minute, I have been quite determined to breastfeed so considering formula is a big thing for me.

Hun don't feel guilty about anything that is going to make you or fx Tilly happy!
You are trying so hard and being a fantastic mom and that is evident to all. If you haven't tried it and you've tried everything else what have you got to lose?

Do you have any in the house? I have cartons in for that melt down either me or sam has.

Xx

Oh I just want to come down ther and give u a massive :hugs:

Dont feel guilty if you feel you have to change. You do what u feel is best! X

That's where I'm at sue, tried everything else I can think of.

I have a few emergency cartons yes.

I can't help but think giving a dummy and bottle has caused this, what else could it be?!? Do they fuss at the breast like this during growth spurts?

So I'm thinking of I give formula there's no going back really :( I can't go through all this again trying to get her to remember how to feed

Just to say I am thinking of you and Tilly... Really hope she will settle for you. Sleep deprivation is a killer at the best of times, but coupled with a constantly crying baby is unbearable. I agree with some of th other ladies - you need to think of yourself too and make sure you keep yourself nourished, otherwise you'll become ill.
With regards the formula, you need to do what is best for you - without feeling guilty. Big hugs... Xx

Fussing at the breast could be caused by a huge number of things. I'm having the same problem.

I know your concerned about the bottle but do u have expressed milk in or could you give a cartoon to check if the constant crying is hunger??? Cos I can't imagine why else nipple confusion would cause her to cry so much.

Failing that it could be reflux that's the problem, it can cause fussing because part of her doesn't want to feed because she knows it's going to hurt. It may be that the gaviscon is not working and you need to push your doc for something stronger.

Hope you get sorted :hugs:

Xxx

So I put her down to sleep and less than 20 mins later she starts grunting and writhing around and I can hear her vomiting on herself. This happens pretty much every time I try to put her to sleep after a feed.

Any ideas?! This is bugging me a lot. Is this the reflux?!

It's sounds like it. Do you keep her upright for 20-30mins after a feed? Is her bed proper up?? (i know you've prob tried all this :hugs:)

Dunno what else to suggest apart from demanding the doc prescribe her something stronger. Xxx

Yes, bed is propped up. I try to keep her as upright as possible during feeds and afterwards yes.

I think it's associated with wind tbh, I struggle to get the wind up at times and it's worse then.

I went back to the docs Monday and he wasn't interested and told me to give the Gaviscon in a bottle. So I did again and I end up with shredded nips and a headbutting baby at feed times. It's a vicious circle because she's now unsettled because she's not feeding right

My suggestion of formula isnt to make Tilly sleep for longer, it's to give you a small break and fingers crossed she will sleep after it, and as someone else said maybe it will let you see how hungry she actually is if she takes it. Please don't feel bad if you gave one formula feed, formula is nothing to be ashamed of! And you aren't giving up bf! You've done really well so far as I can imagine you feel like just banging your head against the wall. As I said, Logan had a bottle and it was totally fine and he was only 5weekz at that point. I fact, when he was 4days old he was admitted to hosp due to weight loss and was getting my boob and formula bottles top ups and again, I'm still feeding him just myself. When he went through a growth spurt at 5weeks he was really fussy on boob, would fall asleep at it then when I went to put him in cot scream until he was back on.

Sleep deprivation is one of the hardest things being a new mum brings. The other option is pestering your doctor to find out what might be making tilly so crabby.
Just do what you feel is right for you two, don't bother what anyone else thinks

Ps can't remember if you've mentioned it, but have you got infacol? That seems to be for bringing wind up

When sam goes really fussy on the boob and cries It's because of wind!!!
Does she cry all day? If she doesn't then it isn't nipple confusion. Xx

Just to let you know my lovely. I combination feed. Have done since day 1 and missy moo is 9 weeks old. She goes between breast and bottle no problem. I had to do this cos of my own health so that hubby could help. Also my supply wasn't great initially cos I was so I'll and baby needed feeding. We had to do formula top ups cos she wasn't getting enough from me. I'm proud she gets at least something from me and I thought I would have given up by now. But I'm not ashamed or feel a failure for giving her formula too cos it's just the way it worked out for us. I'm happy and she is lovely and happy. I wish I could have exclusively breasted but I have to cope with the cards I was dealt and the horrendous time we both went through meant this way suited us both.
We used nuk teets. They are used in hospitals and supposed to be excellent for breast fed babies to stop confusin xxx

I know everyone says not to but have you tried her sleeping on her front? It's a great way of getting rid of trapped wind although cos it tends to come out of the other end it's stunk my lounge out lol. I only do it when Bertie's struggling to clear it but it seems to work even if he sleeps for just an hour.

You are doing so so well Tor :hug: xxxxxxxxxx

I had a terrible time after giving Tyler a bottle BUT I was terribly lucky as the midwife was over that morning and sorted us out. I'm trying to think what he did as he was only a couple of days old when it happened. I remember sitting up on my bed with him on my lap and latching him on and he'd sort of let go and fuss and get angry. I think he'd also take a couple of sucks and let go. We never used a bottle again until he was a lot older and he now won't take one. I really think you need to see some one before you use a bottle as the last thing you want if your so passionate about bfing would be for your supply to drop. Babies find ff easier as they don't have to suck like they do on the breast so if that is what's wrong it won't help. Ring these guys at la leche league they are really experienced and can advise best for you and your situation which may be a bottle. http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/about/helpline.htm also at that age pumping got me NOTHING that doesn't mean you have a supply problem at all, Tyler is thriving at 3 1/2 months. Please trust yourself and your body! Don't get too stressed as that won't help. Get yourself a cup of tea, big bowl of porridge if you can ( oats help your supply) take a deep breath and give someone a call. I've been thinking about you all night I really hope things improve :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back