Dopplers??

megsmeadow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wondered what thoughts were around fetal dopplers? I am keen to get one, I want to be able to hear what's going on in here outwith appointments. Spoke to my OH though and he just thinks it will make me panic more if I couldn't hear anything.
What are folks thoughts/experiences? :think:

I think it depends on you. If you are a natural worrier or panicker then your OH is probably right.

I hired one from about 12 weeks till just after my 20 week scan and I really enjoyed using it. I have an anterior placenta (again) muffling movement so it was great to use until he started to really kick properly.

Watch out for 'foetal heart monitors/listeners' which are not dopplers - they are usually much cheaper. The dont always work and I know lots of women how still couldnt get a HB on them well after 30 weeks!

I got one last time after I had a bad bleed at 14 weeks and I'm really really glad I did :) It reassured me for weeks after as I was having some difficulties in the pregnancy. I used it until my little lady made her presense felt every day and they I rarely lifted it x

I would say if you're going to buy one, get a really good one with a display or do like Merv's mum and hire one :)

I bought one with my youngest and I used it every day from 10 weeks to 20 weeks ish, then very rarely used it. I have to say if i couldn't find it sometimes I would get a bit stressed, but you learn to be patient, and leave it for a few hours and then go back to it.

I am now pregnant with number 3 and have used it sporodiacally. It is great for reasurring yourself that all is ok, as long as you eon't panic when you can't find hb for a while. I'd def get one with a display if I werre you. And aslready been said, make sure you g has aet a mw grade one, not a heart monitor. The first one I bpought was sold as a doppler but ended up being little more than a microphione with headphones!

Thanks for all your hints and tips!! I just had my first midwife appointment yesterday and she said to expect my scan appointment in the post next week. I might just hold off making any purchases until I have the scan and def know there is a little heartbeat going on in there!!!! I don't want to cause myself any extra stress between now and then if I'm not able to find a hearbeat myself!.

I got one that arrived at 12+1...took me about 10 minutes the first time to find HB and then after that a lot less. I've never not been able to find HB but I only use it maybe once a month now. Mine is a really good quality one though, it's the same as the one my midwife uses xx

I hired one too - although at first all I was listening to was my own pulse haha..I loved hearing the heartbeat racing away but I would suggest using it later on rather than sooner if you are a real worrier or you could easily stress out :)

I had one for both of mine and I loved it. I think they're great as long as you remember that it's not always easy to find the heartbeat - there were a few times I couldn't find Toby's very early on but I just put it away and tried again the next night - once I got to about 10 weeks I could always find it, and as I had an anterior placenta both times I didn't feel kicks until after 20 weeks with either pregnancy, so it was reassuring to be able to have a listen!

I bought the angelsounds doppler. I found the heartbeat at 10 weeks + 5 with it. I did find it really reassuring but I've not used it since I started feeling my baby moving xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back