Does this sound normal?

loz

Reaction score
Baby is a week old now :D She took to BF straight away and was great but first few days needed feeding for hours in the night as well at intervals during the day. Her pooing has been normal and MW has been pleased with her.

The MW came on Sunday and I was having a very bad day - v hormonal (my milk had just come in - threw a box of nipple pads at OH :rotfl: ), nipples were v v sore, still really sore in lady bits underneath, constipated, boobs leaking everywhere, baby wouldnt latch on and it was really painful when tried to BF, me still anaemic. Just cried with MW and she was lovely. She said I had mastitis as well so am now on anti-biotics as well.

Anyway - my BF technique was slightly wrong and since Sun have been able to BF fine and nipples are ok again with the help of Lansinoh miracly nipple cream! Monday night we had a good night, with 2 feeds and LO settled really well. BUT last night, she would not settle for ages and seemed to constantly want to feed. Nothing would stop her from crying apart from boobie. She was on for 40 mins and then I would take her off, or she would come off and then a short time after want feeding again (hands in mouth and tongue movmnts). This is sooooooooo tiring and I literally am sitting in the nursery with her BF and falling asleep during the night which cant be good/ v safe.

Do you think she is having a growth spurt, or is there something wrong with my milk? I'm not sure what to think, but is this normalish?

awwww :hug: i cant offer any advice cos im as new to this as you are...but my LO is also variable in her latching on, sometimes she fusses for ages and seems to have forgotten how to do it, other times she's straight on. Sometimes she wants feeding like every half hour and other times she'll go ages...but she only feeds for 10 mins max which worries me a little, i'll take some of your 40 mins please!!!

.i think as long as they're growing and seem generally healthy it must be ok.

oh and my lady bits still have a dull ache too, its annoying :wall: and im fed up of wearing a nappy (maternity pad) lol :lol:

omg hun, reading your post was like DEJA VU! All I can say is, I know how you feel as I've been there and the only consolation is that it DOES get easier and I remember wanting to quit every day. Its all normal what your going through. As long as your LO is gaining some weight every week you have no problems with her milk intake. As for the fussy feeding they do settle down eventually, seems they are still learning like us, and i realised sometimes it wasn't always hunger but my LO just wanted a cuddle or to change position or was overstimulated and tired. Stick with it if you can as its worth it in the end.

midna said:
Sounds very normal ..expect your LO to basically live on your nips in the first 6 -8 weeks ..and sucking up to 3 hours at a time.

You could try co-sleeping to catch some :sleep: :sleep:

Its very hard hun ..your LO is just building a supply theres nothing wrong with your milk ..shes got lots of growing to do xxxxxx

Welldone your doing great x

mid's right, its bloody hard work... co-sleeping works for me and connor tho - he's always uber-hungry at night and feeds just like your little one, virtually non-stop. but with him in bed with me, i can at least doze... keep going, you're doing great :hug: :hug:

How do you do this without falling asleep on the bab though? I really worry she will roll off the bed or i would crush her?

Thanks for the reassurance - it's all a big learning curve!! :hug:

only you can know how heavily you sleep and how likely that is to happen; in my case i just know that it wouldn't. i sleep very lightly when connor's next to me, and am always aware that he's there. i put one arm around the other side of him so that if he rolled towards the edge of the bed, i'd know about it.

i always sleep with connor on the bed-edge side so that i can keep the duvet over me but not on him - he sleeps in his gro-bag.

maybe you should practice lying with him to feed during the day when you're less tired (or at least, less inclined to sleep) and then you'd know how comfortable you are with it?

:) :hug: :hug:

I found this with ryan he seemed to suck for ages and sometimes just mess around so id sit there for ages trying to feed him and he lost to much weight so i had to start giving him top ups with the bottle which i think made it worse as he preffered the bottle so just used my boob as a dummy!! then drank his milk after! but when i came out of hospital i did the whole co-sleeping thing and itwas fantastic! I would fall asleep as he fed and woke up in the morning feeling great. I used to lay pillows down one side of the bed and lay him on a thin pillow so he was a bit higher up and could latch on easier and id hug him and the pillow and i always woke up in the same position

:roll: sounds sooooo normal...I sleep like Mid does...and wake up feeling achy and stiff because I subconsciously know lil miss is in my bed next to me so don't roll on her... its not great but if I didn't co sleep...I'd never ever sleep....co sleeping encourages and facilitates bfing. the co sleeping risks are significantly reduced if you bf...but obviously dont drink, smoke, take drugs or any circumstance where you might sleep heavily. there is loads of info on the net.

I have trouble with co-sleeping as our bed is in the middle of the room and we cant push it against either wall and i hate the thought of him falling off it. Its not a huge bed either and OH and I dont have enough space anyway. But I do put LO inbetween us after his 5-6 am feed and we both roll rigidly straight onto our sides facing LO with our arms behind our heads and thats how we stay like two riga mortis stricken corpses. As light starts to come in the window soon after I can then see where he is in the dark. I trust myself to not roll over with LO in the bed I just dont trust the OH and vice versa I think lol..

Additionally...

Midna: Fab photo ! :D
Littlepip: Am I being daft or just confused. your LO hun, your ticker says 5 months but he was born in march?

I just noticed that!!But im on a different computer that doesnt have that photo on so i cant change it till i get home!! He's a month old today lol

EDIT: Ahh thats better!! turn's out i did have that pic on this computer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back