Does baby get washed at birth?

skairdykat said:
that blood is a bugger to get off the hair!! LOL
Agreed :lol:

Isaac didn't have a bath until 8 days old, he was a newborn, hardly dirty, he had his bum and bits and face cleaned daily, as for infections, its not your baby that's dirty, its you and other people who touch them, there's nothing un-clean about a newborn baby in my opinion, irrespective of where they're born :roll:

Hi

Both my kids were bathed the first day they were born :)

I just remembered Brody was covered in meconium too, so I would have wanted him bathed anyway :lol:

we were told that they dont wash babies 1st off as the white stuff is very good for the skin and the longer kept on the better so Oliver wasnt bathed till 2 days after he was born...but then again he wasnt really that much of a "dirty" baby he came out very clean

Jude was just wiped down with warm towels and handed to me. He was bathed the next day.

DD was handed straight over, with a hat popped on her head whilst I was holding her. She had lots of hair and was mucky, but we didn't bathe her until she was a couple of days old. The vernix was good for her skin. Personally I'd rather my baby was handed straight over for skin to skin and to calm her down than bathed but that's just my choice.
With DS they rubbed him down with a towel (which I didn't want). He still had lots of vernix on him and we bathed him a day or two after he was born.

MMMMMM NEWBORN SMELL!! I LOVE IT!!

Why on earth would you want a newborn bathed unless covered in poo or caked in blood? Thier skin has been submerged in water for 9 months and covered in vernex what difference does another 2 or 3 days make. The vernex actually helps keep them warm and is good when allowed to sink into thier skin, it is like a moisturiser. My mw told me to leave it as it soothes all thier creases and they are so scrunched up you cant bath them properly anyway!

The womb is sterile anyways and what gunk they may be covered in is all natural!! I wanted Isla handed to me as nature intended, we had a lovely mucky cuddle and kiss, i was hardly in a good state either after 8 hours in the pool. That is one of my fondest memories and one that i can never get back, i want this baby the same au naturel! i love it!

Isla was bathed before she went home but only as i didnt know how to do it and wanted to be shown. I loved my baby, junk and all. :cheer:

oooohhh :rotfl: gunky au naturel baby, i miss new baby smell, alana normally smells of biscuits and juice now :rotfl:

Isla smells of SH*T most the time or something yukky!

kellysomer said:

Why on earth would you want a newborn bathed unless covered in poo or caked in blood? Thier skin has been submerged in water for 9 months and covered in vernex what difference does another 2 or 3 days make. The vernex actually helps keep them warm and is good when allowed to sink into thier skin, it is like a moisturiser. My mw told me to leave it as it soothes all thier creases and they are so scrunched up you cant bath them properly anyway!

The womb is sterile anyways and what gunk they may be covered in is all natural!! I wanted Isla handed to me as nature intended, we had a lovely mucky cuddle and kiss, i was hardly in a good state either after 8 hours in the pool. That is one of my fondest memories and one that i can never get back, i want this baby the same au naturel! i love it!

Isla was bathed before she went home but only as i didnt know how to do it and wanted to be shown. I loved my baby, junk and all. :cheer:

:clap: :clap:

Totally agree!

I can't understand how anybody would want to have the baby whisked away and washed!
As for it being unhygienic???? what??? Unless you have a hygiene problem there's absolutely no risk! The baby should be put on your skin straight away, not rushed off and dumped in a bath....poor little mite!

There's NOTHING better than the newborn smell......hmmmm!

As for the baby that smelled of fish......well, I suspect somebody who kissed that baby before you did had been eating a tuna sandwich or something!!!

Isla was a water birth too but still gunky, i love that baby smell, wonder if you can get talc that smells the same to keep them smelling of it :rotfl:

Sammystar said:
kellysomer said:

:clap: :clap:

Totally agree!

I can't understand how anybody would want to have the baby whisked away and washed!
As for it being unhygienic???? what??? Unless you have a hygiene problem there's absolutely no risk! The baby should be put on your skin straight away, not rushed off and dumped in a bath....poor little mite!

There's NOTHING better than the newborn smell......hmmmm!

As for the baby that smelled of fish......well, I suspect somebody who kissed that baby before you did had been eating a tuna sandwich or something!!!

nah :shakehead: we're not talking a tuna sandwich here i can promise you that! But whether it was a hygiene problem from the mum or some other malfunction i'm not sure, but the smell was quite strong and not pleasant at all!

Paige came out all soft and clean apart from her hair, we didnt bath her until we got home 3 days later. I love her smell too, its gorgeous :D

Ewan was wiped down but didnt have a bath untill the next day.
Actually came out fairly clean but with a few spots of blood and gunk.

Everything that comes out of you with baby is sterile.

They used to do it.... in the dark ages. A new born baby has no ability at all to regulate their own temperature and a newborn wet baby, even less. The most important thing you can do when a baby is born is dry them, thoughroughly and wrap them in a dry warm towel, or put them skin to skin. I can't understand why bathing newborns is still practised :shock:

My daughter was taken straight to SCBU and my son was handed straight to me after a quick wipe, i didnt bath him till i got home and i wouldnt have it any other way. After i have waited 9 long months for my baby i want her as soon as possible to feed and some mother contact. And to be honest after you have just given birth the last thing on your mind is "has he/she has a bath.

Don't dare try to wash my newborn! I want my cuddle as soon as humanly possible - gunk or no gunk :shakehead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back