disposables OR terry nappies??

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has already posted about this but what is best to use? Me and OH have been discussing it. He thinks terry nappies as they are enviromentally friendly and cheaper but I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong I'm all for saving the environment and money but at the same time I'm guessing i'm going to have enough to do with a new baby without having to worry about if the nappies have been washed and if baby has enough until the last lot have been washed and dried (don't think i'm making much sense!) And even though I have worked with children and babies before and could probably put a disposable nappie on them with my eyes shut, I've never used terry's with a baby and have no idea how to use them!
What do you mum's find works best for you?
Sorry if this is long and confusing! :oops:
I babble on a bit!

Ohh there are so much more to real nappies now than terry squares! You can buy either prefolds (basically just cotton squares) and wraps or shaped nappies, the latter being more expensive but slightly easier to use as it's put on pretty much like a disposable. I find it just as convenient sticking the nappies in a bucket to wash as I would sticking a disposable in the bin

I used eco disposables at birth because if she was going to be a big baby I didn't want to buy nappies that were only going to fit her for a fortnight. Lots of places sell samples so you can try them out and see what works best for you. Some local authorities also subsidise nappy sets to encourage people to use them.

There's a thread on real nappies here - http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=12433

They are definitely the way to go, though I managed to break my washing machine yesterday so we're back to the eco disposables until I can get it fixed! :shock:

i use disposables but do have a few terries just in case.

I use disposables. I can't work out how to get stains out of her clothes coz when she poos, it goes everywhere. It ends up out the top and sides. I don't wanna ruin cloth 1's.

I use fuzzi bunz and they are great, easy to use, comfier than disposables and so easy to wash and dry, they are less effort than keep buying disposables and Morgan is good in them. They leak far less!

I would never use terry nappies but the world of cloth nappies is somewhat evolved now!!! No nappy pins in sight!

In answer to the staining you 'sun out' stains, poo naturally fades in sunlight and it also whitens and antibacterialises them too.

kellysomer said:
In answer to the staining you 'sun out' stains, poo naturally fades in sunlight and it also whitens and antibacterialises them too.
Thanx for that. I've tried boiling and scrubbing. Just don't wanna throw out decent clothes she's only worn once!

yup the sun gets poo stains out totally. I have had about 6 leaks in cloth (Seren and Cally in total) yet when we went away and I used dispos on Cally they leaked loads.

It really isn't any effort to use them. You just change them like you would a dispo, put it in a pail then when its full wash them. The machine does all the hard work :)

Backing up daftscotslass I have seen so many different kinds of the terry nappy kind.

I am going to go and look at some myself today plus get a few packs of disposables aa they will come in handy when going out for the day etc..

LisaJ1986 said:
I use disposables. I can't work out how to get stains out of her clothes coz when she poos, it goes everywhere. It ends up out the top and sides. I don't wanna ruin cloth 1's.

From my experience the disposable nappies leak more than the washable ones but like the girls have said drying outside in the sun normally bleaches them.

I think I only have 1 nappy that has a stain that won't shift :D

I thought I'd use cloth nappies, but since Emms has been born I've been so busy with her, I dont know how I would have coped with all the extra cleaning.
You can get eco disposables but to be honest, I tried some and they leaked, so I just use pampers now. I do want to move to more eco friendly nappies soon, but I am going back to work in a few months too, so not sure how it will work out with that.
I would say find out about them all, but for the 1st few weeks, do what is easiest for you, unless your OH wants to help with nappy washing :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back