Second-hand mattress / bed linen

Ani

Reaction score
Hi Mums!

A friend of DH has given us his old cot, which we are delighted about. One less thing to buy! He also gave us a mattress and I was going to have it steam cleaned and use it. However now I have read that it is of the utmost importance not to use a second-hand mattress that comes from a different home as it is linked to cot death.

This got me thinking, we were also given some blankets and sheets from a lady that used to foster children, and obviously I have washed them, but does the same go for bed linen?

Does anyone know more about the whole second hand mattress / bed linen subject? Money is very tight and we welcome second hand stuff... but we dont want to put our baby at risk either.

Thanks.

Not sure what the techie blurb is behind the guidelines - but personally I wouldn't use a 2nd hand matress for a baby. I guess because you don't know how old it is, how long it's been used for, what kind of spills have been on there & how often it's been properly cleaned.

Bed linen - I would say is Ok to use tho (& I have been given some by friends which I use) because you can be pretty certain it's been thru a washing machine at least once a week.

Ditto the above really.

We got given a cot and mattress but as it had had a hefty baby/toddler sleeping on it for 2.5 years we are not using it and got a new mattress more suited to our baby. I'd not use a second hand mattress. Much happier knowing the one we have hasn't been used before.

Cot mattress are far from cheap :( Ours cost £85. The foam ones are much cheaper (£35 or so) but tbh I'd not want my LO sleeping on foam for up to 2-3 years so spent the extra and got a proper one.

Whilst our cot and crib were both 2nd hand in both cases we have had new matresses. We got a fully sprung air cool mattress made to measure (our cot is canadian so a different size) of Ebay, it is wonderfully soft but supportive and cost6 about £30!!! They were far far cheaper than anywhere else! Complete bargain even with 24 hour delivery included. I cant recommend them enough.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPRING-COT-COTBED ... .m14.l1318

MIL is insisting that we use a mattress that came with a cotbed she gave us. She said its a brilliant cot and her Nieces daughter has only jsut stopped sleeping in it and shes 5!

So the mattress is 5 years old! i said to OH there is no way were using a 5 year old mattress!!

EVER BABY DESERVES A NEW MATTRESS!!

I just couldnt live with myself if something happened to Sophie because i went along with MIL reccomendations

I'd buy a new mattress if I was you.
My son died earlier on this year of cot death.
We're sure it wasn't down to his matress, but I don't want the same thing happening to you so please; buy a new mattress

OK getting DH to throw out the mattress as I am writing this... thanks for the advice. xxx

I had this problem with my dad. He said my old cot (of 30 years) was fine to use and the mattress was like new. I explained that no way will i compromise on the mattress and things have changed since his day! It now turns out that the old mattress has curved edges so i need a whole new cot.

Its one thing im not backing down on though. would never forgive myself if something happened.

Claire x

JamieIsabella said:
I'd buy a new mattress if I was you.
My son died earlier on this year of cot death.
We're sure it wasn't down to his matress, but I don't want the same thing happening to you so please; buy a new mattress

I am so sorry to hear about your son. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back