Does Anyone Feel....

KellyHook

Reaction score
Scared to contact their MW or Hospital?

Thankfully I have not had to ring them yet, and can understand it can feel scary.. But when I was at hospital today being monitored on the CTG, a lady rang the MW and said that she hadn't felt her baby move for over 24hours... I panic if I haven't felt him move for over a hour and have to prod him till he gives me a little wiggle! Surely you would ring before leaving it 24hours, considering how serious it could be, Right??

I agree I feel like my question might be stupid it silly! But I suppose always better to be safe than sorry and they have a triage system at our labour ward and when I hadnt felt baby move I went in and she said anytime ur scared u ain't felt baby move then just call and they will let u pop in and see them which I thought was good. But I know exactly what u mean xx

I admit I have only ever phoned the midwife once (maybe twice?) because I don't want to bother her, as stupid as that sounds because that's what they're there for! OH always bugs me to call if I have a problem but I put it off. Not just because I don't want to bother her but also because I'm scared of what they might say!

I know exactly what you mean hun - there is no way though that I would leave it for 24 hours if I hadn't felt LO; I'm the same as you Kel, if I don't feel them move every 30 mins-1 hour I get a bit ancy and start having sugar and cold drinks to make them move!

I rang MW when I fell down the stairs and luckily she was sound about it - we shouldn't feel this way really as they should be there for support/reassurance if there are genuine concerns x

With my first i went to the midwife when i hadnt felt movement for 5 hours she just dismissed me as a worrier and said wait 24 hours then come back.
I was not having it so when i got home i called the hospital said i was bleeding and got told to get there asap for a scan which sadly confirmed my baby had died.
The midwife was very appologetic about the way she treated me considering the outcome.

There is no way you should be expected to wait 24 hours with no movement.

Last edited:
When it's lack of movement I just whack my doppler out and have a listen myself... But I've called triage a few times for other things... It doesn't bother me if it turns out to be nithing... If I'm worried I want to be reassured :) xx

I would feel funny ringing my mw (probably cos she's new and I haven't met her yet!) and with the hospital I'd be scared to ring unless emergency as I hate to feel like a hypochondriac, but as my pregnancy is progressing I must admit I'm more cautious about things and do take them more seriously, my oh's work colleague was about 7/8 mths and she stopped feeling her baby move last weekend and she went into hospital and they told her the baby had died, she had to be induced there and then and it was stillborn :cry: it really shocked me and made me take things more seriously, and not care so much if hospital thinks I'm overreacting because better to be safe than sorry. I certainly wouldn't wait 24 hrs if baby stopped moving, more like 3 or 4 hours max!

OMG, thats so sad!! :(

I asked today while i was there, what would they class as long enough to leave it before phoning, MW was lovely and said, its our job to make you feel at ease and answer any of your concerns, she said i should know whats normal for me and if i felt things had changed then i shouldnt worry about ringing, they would much rather give us a answer over the phone, or tell us to come in and be checked over no matter how big or small the worry is.. they would rather make sure baby is fine than have us sitting at home worrying..

Like i said ive never had to ring, but when i have thought 'what if i had to ring' you go into a mode where u think.. 'am i being stupid, MW will think im a idoit' but at the end of the day, my baby is my main concern and i know i wouldnt leave it just on the off chance of thinking 'im being stupid'..

I know what you mean Kelly, I've never phoned yet even though I've wanted to a few times - I definitely wouldn't be leaving it 24 hours before I phoned if I hadn't felt baby move for that long though! :shock:

I suppose we really should just phone anytime we have a question cause it's their job - I just don't like to pester them!

xxx

My midwife has always stressed if worried about changes if movement to call asap, not to wait. That also includes increased movements as well as none or less. Anything not normal to babys routine....

I was in extreme pain saturday night and I tried phoning the midwife who didn't answer!!! just my luck lol i had to rush up A&E

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back