Does a short height & small shoe size = c section ?

Naterjack

Reaction score
My mum if 4ft 11 ad very slight, she had 3 kids and 3 c-sections and said its cause shes so short and that i will probably need one :think:

I am 5ft but not slight at all. Quite big hips and bum but only size 4 feet - MW hummed when i gave her my height and shoe size

Does this mean i'll have to have a c-section?
I'd really like to have a vaginal birth and not a c-section (best laid pland and al that) but now a bit worried

So - does you height and she size REALLY dictate whether a c-setion is required ?

I dont think it does.... my MIL is 4ft 12, size 2 feet and had 3 kids all naturally.

my mums 4ft 11 too and gave birth 3 times naturally with no problems, me being the heaviest at 8lb 8oz. Quite big when you see how tiny she is.

Well im about 5"1 i'd say and have size 3 feet and haven't been told that i cannot have a natural birth :think:

Don't quote me on this as i don't know the medical ins and outs but from what i know its mroe to do with different factors, ie the size of your pelvis, being small does not nessarily = small pelvis etc.

My mum is tinee and she had us (2 girls me at 7lbs 12 my sis at 7lbs 13) naturally...

Im not too sure on the birthing process though, my poor Mum went through hell having me :shock:

Maybe do a poll and some research of your own?

xx

Think the small shoe size = C-section thing is utter tripe.

I am 5'1" with Size 3 feet and Connie came out 5 hours after my waters broke, "like shelling peas" the midwife put it. AND Connie was 8lb 9oz! Also, my grandmother was 4'10" and she gave birth naturally 16 times no problems whatsoever.

Think Tilly is 5'1" with Size 3 feet too and she gave birth to James (8lb) naturally.

So yeah, think it's b*ll*cks.

SarahH said:
I dont think it does.... my MIL is 4ft 12, size 2 feet and had 3 kids all naturally.

Er... there are 12 inches in a foot, so doesn't 4'12" = 5 feet ???

~*Leanne*~ said:
Well im about 5"1 i'd say and have size 3 feet and haven't been told that i cannot have a natural birth :think:

Jeez who told you that?!

Im 5ft 1" Size 3 feet and had absolutely no problem giving birth naturally to an 8lb baby, I pushed him out in no time xx

debecca said:

I am 5'1" with Size 3 feet and Connie came out 5 hours after my waters broke, "like shelling peas" the midwife put it. AND Connie was 8lb 9oz! Also, my grandmother was 4'10" and she gave birth naturally 16 times no problems whatsoever.

Think Tilly is 5'1" with Size 3 feet too and she gave birth to James (8lb) naturally.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Ive only just seen your reply ha ha! yes Bex is quite right. God you have a good memory hun xxxxx

Tillytots said:
debecca said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Ive only just seen your reply ha ha! yes Bex is quite right. God you have a good memory hun xxxxx

My memory is ridiculously good but I was bound to remember Jamesy's weight because we were all expecting him to be at least 10lb from the size of you! I remember thinking at the time that it was weird he was "only" 8lb :rotfl:

debecca said:
SarahH said:

Er... there are 12 inches in a foot, so doesn't 4'12" = 5 feet ???

She must be 4ft 11 then.... it's just under 5ft.

Tillytots said:
~*Leanne*~ said:

Jeez who told you that?!

Im 5ft 1" Size 3 feet and had absolutely no problem giving birth naturally to an 8lb baby, I pushed him out in no time xx

Read it again..................... :wink:

Well my nan is tiny well under 5ft she had 5 children and i dont think they were small babies.
My mum is just under 5ft and she has had three kids naturally.
And both of them have tiny feet.

So i think its a load of crap.

My mum is only 5ft and has a size 3 shoe... She gave birth to me (7lb12) in under 8 hours, all with no drugs except gas and air.. she only had a c section with my sister because she went into distress as she had Edwards Syndrome and was very ill anyway... but that had nothing to do with my mums size.

I'm 4ft 11 with size 3 feet. I was told that there was no reason I wouldn't have a natural birth, but I had a 53 hour labour and emergency section. James never engaged and just wasn't going to come out naturally. don't know that it was anything to do with my size, my mum is the same size as me and she had three natural births. After I had him though, the HV was surprised that I hadn't had growth scans and stuff to check if he was going to fit.

im just 5ft at a push and ive got size 3 feet
i gave birth easily
xx

im 4, 11 n had my son was born naturally x x

I am 5ft, size 3 feet and a size 6-8 and I gave birth naturally and ella was 7lb13oz. Because I was small and they knew she was going to be big (she was early hence not being too big!) I was told I would have to go to the hospital, not birth centre and a doctor had to be there when I started pushing (that was because of shoulder dystrophia though)

I did have to have forceps, but I don't know why? She wasn't in the right position so think it was that.

After I had her the midwives kept reading my notes which has BIG BABY written all over them, saying "7lb13 isn't that big", then looking at me and saying "oh, it is for you!"

Edited: I asked the consultant for a c-section the day before I went into labour at 38 wks and he said no!

I think in the past they used to link small feet with small pelvis because I remember being asked my shoe size when i was pregnant with Joseph and when I asked why the MW said sometimes they associate small feet with small pelvis so difficult labour (or something along those lines!) Though i was never asked again so guessing they firgured it wasnt true :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back