Your experience of induction - please? I'm confused !

Naterjack

Reaction score
As you may have read in my other post, my induction is booked for next Tuesday, 2 days before my due date, due to pregnancy induced hypertension and size of baby compared to me (baby estimated at 8lb ish and i'm 4ft 11)

I did expect to be booked in for a morning slot but i have to be at the hospital for 9:30pm next week
The midwife & consultant at the hospital yesterday both said that i should be prepared for a possible c-section but that we can try for a a vaginal birth. I asked why a c-section may be needed, and if it would be just if labour does not progress but the MW said that the hospital may examine me and decide i need a c-section due to size, etc.

SO ...... she said hubby can come in with me at 9:30pm and if nothing happens he will be sent home and brought back at 8am when i will be booked for a c-section that day.
Now, maybe i should have asked more questions, but surely there's not much time between a 9:30pm induction, and deciding if i need a section ? Is this because its before my due date ?

I thought they give you a number of pessaries then a drip, etc etc ? They did say i could book a stretch and sweep if i want beforehand but this isn't something i fancy.

Sorry for the silly questions - i am a little confused ?
I am wondering if they have booked me in at 9:30pm to get me booked in, etc before a c-section, but they just didn't want to make me feel disappointed ?? Would they do that or should they just tell me? It seems rather late to be induced ?? I'm usually in bed by 9pm :? :lol:

its quite normal to be taken in for induction at night,
when i was in hospital most people were brought in at night given the pessary
then left to progress over night, if there is none then they are given another pessary in the AM
i had pre eclampsia also, i was induced at 37 weeks but was never told to expect a c-section
it took 4 days to get me in to labour, but when it finally happend i was only in labour for a few hours
i would give the hospital a ring if you are unsure of anything, :hug: oh and good luck

with my first I had gel at 09.30 am, got instant contractions and by1.30pm he was born with my second I had a pessary at 7.30pm and I was having strong contractions from about 11pm and my waters broke at 01.30am, so starting the induction in the evening is fine and plenty of time to see if you will do anything before they consider the section.

My only gripe about being inducted in the evening is that my DH was told to go home after the first half an hour of monitoring and I knew i would be in labour and need him but as I didnt progress as well as quickas with my first he got to have a shower and eat before he was called back at 1.30am so he was happy!

Thanks girls - ah right, ok then, it MAY happen ok
Hubby is going to go to stay at my parents which is only up the road from the hossie, much closer than home

I was induced at 10 days overdue and had to go in at 8pm which I also thought a bit strange. They did nothing that night, just took my blood pressure and left me in bed and told me they'd be round at 6am to start the induction. I never got a wink of sleep I was so nervous and spent the night cursing them that I would be exhausted for labour rather than at home getting a snooze!

The pessary worked first time for me and by the time OH was allowed back at 11am labour had definitely kicked in!! I was checked at 12noon and 6cm dilated so up in labour suite on gas and air by 1pm. Our little boy arrived at half 7 that evening.

Fingers crossed they plan to induce you that night and not leave you waiting til the morning too!
Hope all goes well,
Sarah x

I was induced in the evening. They told me that they do it in the evening so that you can have the pesaries and get some rest in between them although I'd have gotten more rest at home cos the room I was in was dead loud!

I think some hospitals do it in the evening in the hope that after 2 pesaries and 12 hours they'll be able to break your waters during the day when it's likely there will be more staff available and you'll be more rested etc. It worked for me eventually but ended up having a section anyway cos the baby had her cord round her neck - I've read a lot of stories of women who've ended up having a section after a failed induction because they don't progress, particularly first time mums.

Good luck! Hope everything goes well.

I was induced 12 days overdue. My appointment was for 2pm, pill was placed at 3pm. Mild irregular contractions by 6am. I was checked at 8am to see if I needed another pill but was told I was ready for the labour suite. Ewan arrived about 9am and I got my waters broken for me and my contractions were made regular via the drip. I was dilating 1cm an hour and after an hour of pushing was prepped for a c-section. After I got wheeled into theatre doctor decided to give the forceps a quick try first. 2 pushes + 1 tug = Aimee's arrival at 11.15pm! Sadly though I had been totally prepped for c-section and was numb from the boobs down so I was fitted with a catheter which was removed at 7am the next morning.

When my midwife was arranging my induction date I did ask her if I could have a morning appointment as I was desperate to get it done but she told me that they usually do late appointments to give the pills time to work overnight. Last thing you want is to be given one at 9am, got into labour at 9pm and be in labour through the night, so don't worry about how late your appointment is! :hug: Good luck! x

i was induced at term+13. i got the gel at around 10am, and left to my own devices all day (while absoloutly nothing happened :x !) then i ended up on the drip at 1am. my OH was with me the whole time, as was all the other girls on the wards partners. my mum came at around 8pm, in visiting hours, and ended up not leaving until i had him!

zach wasn't born until 2.32pm the next day though, and i'd gotten up at 6am on the day of induction, i hadn't had any sleep at all! i was absoloutly knackered! my only advice is to get some sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back