Do you worry about what other people think of your kids?

bwakeling

Reaction score
Hi mums!

Just a quick one, for a piece I'm doing for Parentdish. Do you over-worry about what other people think of your kids, and whether they think they're naughty? My sons met my mum's boyfriend for the first time the other day and for the whole time I was anxious! They behaved really well but there were a couple of moments when the eldest was a bit rude, and I worry that my mum's boyfriend will only focus on those moments and think my son is naughty!

Does anyone else feel the same? Do you think your child's behaviour is a direct reflection on you as a parent?

Many thanks!

Ben x

At this stage I don't worry, good job really as he screams through colic still. I might be more concerned when he's older mind you. I think o/h would worry about this sort of thing more than I would.

Sometimes I feel embarrassed if my daughter takes a paddy outside, you know where they lie on the ground screaming all because you want to put them in their buggy, or even put a hat on them,and they go all wriggly and you can't control them.. and you feel people are judging you for not having a handle on the situation LOL ... but that's more what they might think of me more than my child ... I think toddler age you can't really put too much blame on them for rudeness or making you cringe! .. Perhaps aged 5 onwards that changes where I would expect them to know not to be rude to people and then i would feel I had failed somewhat.

Yes it definately is a reflection of the parent, they are born as a blank canvas, with maybe some personality traits passed down from parents, but it is us that teach them right from wrong ect.

I dont worry what ppl think of my LO but if I thought my LO had been naughty i'd be worried ppl thought i was a bad parent for lack of discipline.

xxxxxxxx

I guess you do worry at times they might have an outburst or be rude. Luckily Im not worried just now as babies can't be naughty and Im lucky enough to have a very polite and articulate teenager. She was always a good girl and has good manners the only time i used to feel myself getting embarrassed was the toddler tantrums when your in the middle of tesco and they throw themselves on the floor pulling their hair out!

I think its how you handle these kind of situations though that people might judge. For example I was at a soft play the other day with a friend and a little girl of about 3 hit and pushed over a toddler of around 12 months who was just playing and his mum had to drag this little girl off her son and say no to the girl. Her mother didn't give a toss and ignored the whole thing! Its a small community and everyone knows this little girl is prone to be spiteful so watch their children round her yet her mother just lets her do this and ends up with rows with the other mums. She even bit a 6 month old baby one week! If she was my child she would be corrected and removed from the play area as she's just not learning right from wrong so I def judge her mum for her parenting skills or lack of them. I wonder if she's just given up trying and doesn't know how to handle her.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back