Do you tell people if they ask????

kmac

Reaction score
Hi
I was just wondering if you girls were/are happy to tell people what names you have picked?

We have our names pretty much sorted but have only told our parents. Is it bad luck or anything to tell other people? I don't know why but I feel a bit funny about it.... :think:

When people ask I just say I don't want to tell them but it's a bit awkward!!!

xxx

I didn't tell people. They knew i was having a girl so the rest was a surprise. Plus people turned their nose up at her name when she was here. Kind of upset me really. Therefore being hormonal wouldn't have helped.

We didn't tell a soul our thoughts. I just didn't want their opinions as I feel that names are a really personal thing. People are much less likely to offer opinions on baby names if the baby is here and named, rather than when you are still pregnant.

Anyway, when DD was born, she was named something completley different than the names we had had in our heads anyway! So I'm doubly glad we didn't tell anyone!

Valentine Xxx

We've told people different ideas but tbh I don't take a huge amount of notice of people's comments. We had some odd reactions when we told people Austin's name before he was born, but still used it because we loved it so much. It's been the same with our boy's name this time.

I would keep it a secret but if I've found a name I really like I can't help but tell people when they ask!

I think if we had found out the sex it'd be different, but because we can say either X or Y rather than just X it makes it easier to tell people - they're still just ideas rather than a definite name choice.

We just told people they would have to wait till baby was born. That we wanted some surprises left.

A few people kept asking and in the end I told them to stop doing so as it was annoying.

Don't worry about telling if you don't want to. Other way to go about it is to say you've not decided on anything yet but don't tell them any possibles. Or if you do just tell them random ones you actually don't plan to use :D

why are people so nosy about names anyway lol
we have our girls name picked, but we haven't told anyone!

I never told anyone what we were going to call her.
A few people got funny that i wouldnt say :?
Think i ended up telling my mum and dad a few days before she was born but everyone else had to wait :)

I told one or two people at work who I felt relaxed around (wouldn't really class them as 'friends' but we get on :) ) but only because they asked. A lot of people I fobbed of saying we hadn't really decided yet - even though we had :shhh: I must admit I was a bit nervous :oops: I've had mixed reactions. A lot of people prefered my first choice but hubby doesn't :roll: So we agreed on my 2nd choice :lol:
Mostly I got a lot of "...so does it have to be a 'Muslim' name then?" ....which is a fair enough question but it's just how to explain it :oops: I mean the answer is yes, but you have to be careful you don't sound like Hitler when you're explaining it or you get some odd looks :rotfl:

I've told a few of my pakistani friends I see at weekends who have asked and felt a lot more comfortable about it because it's a common name for them :D And they have all said they like it.

We haven't told family yet. Mostly I don't want my in laws trying to push names on us because we have made our decision (and MIL's are a pain whatever country they're from LOL!!) and I know that my family will try and push for an 'english' middle name the same as my parents did with me and my brother "just in case"....which I'm sorry folks - aint happenng :rotfl:

We never told people and just said we were waiting until baby was born to see what "it" (didn't know what we were having) looked like.

I always tell people Missy's name will be Ruby when they ask :D

we have called Missy Ruby for ages now so i don't see the problem in letting people know her name

:D

We've told a few close family members and friends what our "current faves" are but we make it clear that it isn't set in stone and that they are just ideas at the moment. Other than that I just say that we've got a few ideas but nothing definite.

Our current ideas are based on what we can both agree on but that could change if we get sudden inspiration.

I did want my mum's opinion though, I like that my mum will tell me what she thinks without expecting me to change my mind.

With DS as soon as we had chosen the name he was Cameron from then on, i dont even think it was conducive to knowing the sex after the 20 week scan.

With this one we have had a name since 1st tri and everyone who asked was told it and once we knew the sex we have referred to her as Esme..... but Im just a bit more uneasy about using the name this time and it sort of doesnt 'sit right' other people calling my bump it. So it does worry me I might not want to call her it once she is here.

I dont know if its because I wasnt having anymore babies and never dreamed we would ever have a girl :? we also really struggled with a girls name and we fought long and hard over the boys name as we believed it would be a boy that her name seems to have been thought of almost half heartedly IYKWIM- I dont have any other names I want to call her though.

We've got 2 boys names and 2 girls names finalised but when people ask we just say that we haven't even thought about it yet! When its born we'll probably come up with a totally different name anyway :?

Told some people our choices, but wish I hadnt as all they do is pass their own personal comment about whether they like it or not and it can sometimes be quite rude! :evil:

I've said a few times we keep changing our minds, so next time someone ask I'm gonna say I dont know as we've gone off the previous ones....being hormonal and pregnant i'm allowed to constantly change my mind! :lol: :lol:

im letting people know the names i like, got 4 fave girls names and 3 boys, but im not letting peoples comments bother me. at the end of the day im finding it exciting telling people, and seeing their reactions, my best mate tried to think of something better, but decided he liked my idea best lol

We didn't tell anyone during any of my pregnancies, partly because we changed our minds like the weather :D
OH's parents have been a bit nosey this time round though, they even asked our oldest son if he knew what baby was going to be called, and he said in a totally serious voice "Maggot" :rotfl: He's been calling the baby that ever since we showed him the scan image.

It's good not to tell I think...
For I believe, it's always debatable...
I think we are all grown ups to decide what's best, isn't it???

:think: :think: :think: :think:

mom's idea

Deffinate NO. Last time i got nagged endlessly but didnt give in because i knew if anyone made a bad comment it would cause a row and start to ruin my view of Lovella's name :D Im not gonna tell this babys name either!

We never told a single soul the names we had chosen until Luke arrived :)

I wouldn't next time either :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back