Do you always bleed after a C-section?

LauraB

Reaction score
I know there's another thread in this section at the moment about bleeding after birth in general, but I wanted to ask advice specifically from the ladies who've had sections.

I had a section 11 years ago and I'm having another one this time around. But I can't for the life of me remember whether I had any bleeding or not afterwards! Is it normal to bleed after a section? If so, how long for? Also, do you still get hooked up to morphine and a catheter for a day or two afterwards? Anything else they do (or don't do) these days that they never used to?

Any advice gratefully received - it's been a long time and suddenly it's sinking in that I am about to go through it all again! :shock: Thanks everyone :hug:

hi hun yes you do bleed but not as bad as a normal birth and i had a catheta in for a day but didnt have morphine at all

First time round 9 years ago I was on morphine for 24 hours afterwards (it was on a clicky thing so I could get it when I wanted), this time round I didn't have any. I still had a catheter this time, but they took it out 9 hours after having him (I forced myself to walk).

I'm not sure whether it was me being a stubborn cow that I didn't have anything though, or if things have changed in general. The recovery was a lot quicker without the morphine.

i bled for about 4 weeks or so after my section not sure how this compares to a natural birth though. it started off very heavy but by the 4th week i was just wearing a thin sanitary towel as i seemed to bleed more when i was expressing milk. now after 6 weeks i have hardly anything just normal discharge.

i had morphine in theatre but nothing after, i took oral paracetomol and voltoral and codeine for several days after, make sure you do take oral pain killers regularly to keep on top of the discomfort.

i had my catheter in for 24 hours. thy encourage early mobility now and like you to get up as sson as the epidural has worn off and you able to feel your legs again.

all the best xx :hug:

rusks said:
i bled for about 4 weeks or so after my section not sure how this compares to a natural birth though. it started off very heavy but by the 4th week i was just wearing a thin sanitary towel as i seemed to bleed more when i was expressing milk. now after 6 weeks i have hardly anything just normal discharge.

i had morphine in theatre but nothing after, i took oral paracetomol and voltoral and codeine for several days after, make sure you do take oral pain killers regularly to keep on top of the discomfort.

i had my catheter in for 24 hours. thy encourage early mobility now and like you to get up as sson as the epidural has worn off and you able to feel your legs again.

all the best xx :hug:

I was pretty much exactly the same as Rusks.
Definitely keep on top of the oral pain killers. I took them regularly until I left hospital and asked for them if I wasn't given them on time.
Pain was pretty minimal though to be honest.

Good luck Laura!
Lx

Thanks everyone :hug: .... it sounds like nobody gets morphine afterwards these days then, oh how times have changed! Bit of a scary thought, but if you all got through it and there's alternative pain relief (tablets etc) available, then I'm sure I'll be fine :pray:

Looks like there's no avoiding the bleeding though, from what you all say!

I had morphine after the op but wasnt on a morphine "watch"...I was awake for mine so dont know if that makes a difference-2 other girls on my ward had c sections under general anthestic and they were both on a morphine drip....

I had a catheter in over night, and a fluid drip but by 12pm the next day I was off everything and in the shower....

They advised me to take regular painkillers, the first day I was on a cocktail of them but I felt spaced out and didnt like it so just had paratemol after that and it was fine

I bleed heavily for a week or so, then not so bad for around 3-4weeks after that

I bled all day every day for a whole size weeks and it was very very heavy all the way through. I was hooked up to a damn cathetar and could only have it taken off when my urine started turning clear as it was the colour of bitter!!! So I drank so much water that first day so they would take it off me as I hated that damn cathetar so much as I was SO uncomfortable

I bled for 4 weeks but after 3 it was light, bled more when I was breastfeeding though. I had a catherter in for 12 hours and IM morphein the first night. After that I had codeine and Voltarol.

Hi laura_b, i had an emergency section 2 yrs ago nearly, i had my catheta in for 2 days whilst i was recovering, and the bleeding isnt as bad as a natural birth...

I still however feel numb around my scar, is that normal

Hi Laura, I had my section 3 weeks ago today. The catheter was taken out after about 8 hours and I was able to get up and about. I was given initial pain killers through a drip for a few hours after delivery but didn't have a morphine clicker this time which was much better in my opinion.
I was also given paracetamol and voltoral as painkillers and was advised to take them even though I didn't really have much pain.It was more uncomfortable than painful.
I had my baby on the Monday and came home on the Wednesday which the hospital said was good going.
Lots of Luck to you
Paula.x

sunshinestars said:
I still however feel numb around my scar, is that normal

I am still numb after 9 weeks, my sis too after 19 weeks-some women dont ever regain the sensation totally I believe xxx

Thankd rubys_mummy but 2 years, its a long time isnt it.. i was expecting it for a few weeks but 2 yrs..

Does anyone know how another section will affect it, its going to be alot worse isnt it..

I bled for weeks...proba round 4-6?

I had a voltramol supposatry afterwards and was on a catheter for 1 day.

That was 8 years ago though :)

I bled for 4 weeks exactly and had a catheter for the first 24 hours! Had no morphine but had paracetamol and another painkiller but I can't remember the name! I'm no help am I?!! :)

had a catheter for the first night and an IV drip i think, i bled for ages afterwards so was glad to get back into my skimpy knickers when it stopped lol!!

Hey hun i had an emergency c section wtih ellouise....

Bleeding: I bled for 2days but had off coloured D/C for a few weeks.. which from what ive read from others ppls experiences ive been very lucky..

Morpheine: I was given Oral morpheine on request

Catheter: I had a catheter from when my epidural went in bout 2pm c section at 9pm then they left it in till about 8am the morning after

Numbnes: i am still numb nearly 11weeks on...

They encourage early mobility which is rather unconfortable at first but i do recomend it.. dont do too much tho... as soon as ur dose of morpheine wears off u'll pay for it ;) ahha

I bled for weeks afterwards, had the catheter in for just over a day. I wanted it out straight away but they said that my urine was too concentrated so I drank loads and loads of orange juice to water it down and get that thing out!

Having another c-section in exactly two weeks and gonna drink so much beforehand it's gonna pour out when they cut me open this time. :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back