Planned c- section, do you bleed from down below after?

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by flaxen, Dec 25, 2011.

1. flaxen

flaxen Well-Known Member

Im booked in to have a planned caesarean section on friday at 38wks due to concerns about my health.

Its highly unlikely that I will go into labour myself and there is no sign of a loosening plug etc so will I bleed from down below like you do in a normal labour and delivery or do they remove everything from your uterus while in theatre?

I have tried asking for info on c sections but the responses I got were off people who had emergency sections and had already lost their plug and waters. Thanks.

#1 flaxen, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. titch

titch Well-Known Member

sorry i lost my plug and waters before having my section but head never engaged. I bled lightly for about a week, but I lost a lot of blood in theatre from complications. I think you can expect to have a heavy bleed still cos its your uterus contracting back to normal size after the baby is out.

3. Minchin

Minchin Well-Known Member

Had an emerg section too but had heavy lochia for about 5 weeks so u would say expect heavy bleeding. Good luck hon! Xx

4. Rósa

Rósa Well-Known Member

I had a planned c section, and hardly bled, they told me they removed most in theatre, it was like a very light period for a week

5. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

Ditto my second birth was a planned c-section and i hardly bled at all, until i started to get more mobile but it certainly wasn't as bad as an emergency c-section.

6. JJ Mum

JJ Mum Well-Known Member

I had planned sections each time, and always had heavy bleeding for a week and then normal period onwards for at least 2-4 weeks, each varied, first section was heavest for me.

I Breastfed this last time, and i bled heavest right after feeding as you feel your womb contracting down during each feed, then bleed as a result after, maybee helps to get it all out

Good luck