Do I tell the employer at a job interview I am expecting?

TiffanyJaynexo

Reaction score
Well I just got a part time, temporary job but I also just got an interview for a full time, permanent job that I have wanted for months.

But do I tell the employer I am expecting?
I have the owner of the Hotel as a friend on Facebook as she is very well known, but with the amount of friends she has on Facebook, I doubt she will recognise me as the pregnant chick on-line. She also won't be the one interviewing me, I will be interviewed by a man who I'm not familiar with.

I really, really want this job. It is much more ideal than the job I have now. Especially because of the fact it's just next door to my boyfriends house.

Living next door is an advantage to me and a benefit to the company.
But is being pregnant a disadvantage to them?

I understand they have employed someone several months ago but it did not work out (for whatever reason) and so they are looking for a new member of staff. They've obviously been messed about, I don't want to mess them about further if I have to retire on maternity leave.

Mum says not to tell them as it will put them off, but Dad says I have to tell them as it would be rude not to tell them.

Advice ladies?
By the way it is a Hotel Receptionist job.

xxx

You don't have to tell them until your 25 weeks or somewhere around that time. If it was me I wouldn't tell them and if you are offered the job then tell them. At the end of the day they won't lose out cos you aren't entitled to stat mat pay you will get mat allowance but government pays that anyway. So if they gave you the job you would still get maternity leave and they would just be a staff member down. x

Personally I would tell them - they're not allowed to discriminate against you. If you do get the job and then tell afterward then it will always leave a bad taste in their mouth as they will think you didn't tell them just to get the job.

It's up to you though obviously! You don't have to tell them by law

Personally I would tell them - they're not allowed to discriminate against you. If you do get the job and then tell afterward then it will always leave a bad taste in their mouth as they will think you didn't tell them just to get the job.

It's up to you though obviously! You don't have to tell them by law
I'm inclined to agree , and maybe being up front with them may encourage them to hire you as it will make you seem up front and reliable ? Good luck with the interview , I hope it goes really well.

I personally wouldnt but it comes from personal experience.
When I got PG first time, I was looking for a job but when I got BFP, I stopped cause I thought there wasnt any point. Sadly I lost that one and I wished I hadnt stopped interviewing.

God forbid anything like this happens to you, think about it this way - go for an interveiw to see if they pick you for the second round/offer you the job, then you can be upfront with them about your situation.

I personally wouldnt go in at the first interview and tell them straight away that I am PG:
a it shouldnt change their mind about you
b I would feel awkward starting a conversation with announcing you a PG

And I just wouldnt tell potential employer until I was 12 weeks or so but again that personal choice.

I definitely wouldn't tell them when you're so early in your pregnancy - sure they're not meant to discriminate, but why give them the opportunity? You could feasibly not know yourself by this point and since they're not meant to discriminate it's not relevant until you actually get the job anyway.

I agree with above. I wouldnt say anything so early on. If you'd had your scan and were into your second trimester then Id say yes, but if I was 8 weeks gone I wouldnt bother. For all they know, you may not even know youre pregnant. If you got the job then just wait a few weeks before telling them and just say you wanted to make sure all was well with the pregnancy before telling anybody.

I was made redundant in march but I applied for an internal job to try and avoid losing my job. I was upfront and told them and I didn't get the job an was asked inappropriate questions at interview that's why I said maybe wait until your offered. Plus some of the girls are right, your not that far on so as far as there concerned you might not even know your pregnant yet x

Hmm that's made me re-think a little.
I won't tell the employer I am expecting just yet :p Thanks xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back