New job interview - Any tips?

Bexter

Reaction score
Yay! I have an interview next week for a really cool job. :D
It pays slightly less than my current job, but i think it will be much cooler and have more prospects.

I will be shopping this weekend for a new suit, and i have downloaded loads of info about the company but has anyone got any tips for the interview please?

I used to be an old hand at interviews, but haven't been to one in years and may have lost my touch :shakehead:

xx

congrats hun

my advice is:
come across confident but not cocky
ask questions
dont fiddle
look smart :D

Whats the job you are going for? I have done several interviews (ie interviewed people for jobs) for software engineer vacancies. Be yourself is the best advice I can give. As much as anything when you are being interviewed the interviewer is interested in how you will fit in with the team. The sort of questions I ask are "tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer" followed by "how did you handle it" etc etc. Don't make things up, however if you are struggling to think of something work related, don't limit yourself to just your working life, think about dealing with shops, friends, commitee's you have been on.

Good luck

just a small practical tip- when you seat yourself pull your chair slightly to an angle so you are not sitting directly infront of (staring at) the interviewer/s. this way you can narutally break eye contact when you need some thinking time without looking awkward or disitnerested . Good luck hun :hug: :hug:

I used to be an interviewer - take time, pause before answering each question, don't think you have to jump straight in, we expect people to think before answering. If you don't understand what is being asked, ask them to elaborate.

Good luck :D

hi hun most of what has already been said sounds good. especially be yourself and take your time thinking of answers. i am on a work placement at the moment in mental health and we recently had interviews for jobs and one big thing my boss was annoyed at was the amount of people that hadnt researched the job and the area they are working in such as mental health law or giving advice and guidance.

xxx

If there is more than one person on the panel, direct your eye contact towards the person asking the question.

Also, it is always a good idea to have thought of a list of questions you can ask at the end. If they say at the end, do you have any questions and you dont say anything, it might not look good. Dont ask things like 'can I have xmas off' but rather ask things like 'is there further training I can do, how will I be supported in my new role' etc

Eat a good breakfast, make sure you know where you are going so you are there in good time and good luck! xx

and wear something cool - you always get hot and panicky anyway so don't make it worse by wearing hot clothes :D

Nicky_Jones said:
Whats the job you are going for? I have done several interviews (ie interviewed people for jobs) for software engineer vacancies.

Thanks for the great tips everyone. Nicky - strange, i currently work with softeware engineers too!

The job is for an administartion role for the Welsh Rugby Union - so i'm very excited about it.

The interview is on Tuesday, so will let you know how i get on! xx

smile :)

(but not insanely like jack torrence or vacantly like honey mitchell! lol)

Sorry I've not other suggestions think everything has been said but I Just wanted to wish you luck hun everything is crossed for you. :D :D

Bexter said:
Nicky - strange, i currently work with softeware engineers too!

Strange bunch aren't we :D

Adminstration job. Think of the skills that that job requires. Certainly organisation skills, does it require any specific software packages ... Then think of examples of when you have demonstrated those skills which you can talk about with the interviewer.

i tip i used, if ur a bit shy and find it hard making eye contact for long periods, look at the top of their nose, between the eyebrows, it looks to them like your looking right at them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back